Tipping ??

BluexMoon

What is considered extra special service that is above their job?

Steve

PS.Save your money until you see that extra special service,then you can extend a gratuity.

Basically I want the best service possible and then some. It'll be my honeymoon cruise, and I want everything to be perfect, and I'm not afraid to dish out some extra money to make it perfect.

I guess what I'm after is trying to guarentee that I won't get horrible service, but there is no guarentee is there? :rolleyes:

No, no guarantee. You could get a steward/waitstaff who are top notch or you could get someone who is having a bad day. It happens when they work the long hours and contracts that last for months. Basic service to me is having my room cleaned, beds made, ice bucket filled, clean towels when needed. Anything beyond that is great! :) If you talk to your steward/waitstaff and let them know it's your honeymoon (and maybe slip them a few extra $$) that may help too! And a smile goes a long way!

Tipping is ridiculous. Carnival should pay their help, service is down all over. TIP TIP TIP. What ever happened to tipping for the service you receive, not what you hope you will receive.

Try this: on the first day go to Pursers office and have all tips removed. Watch what happens, your service will really get bad, then tell the people expecting a TIP you will go back on the last day and adjust the TIPs to the service "you" received. Works like a charm, I do it every time. Think about it.

I've read post form people from other counties who find the whole tipping system confusing. They also wounder why the workers aren't just paid and that a tip is for extra, above the job. They just follow along because when in Rome.....

On one cruise I was on the waiter told me that Carnival hangs on to their tips for two weeks. If given in cash, they got the money on the spot. So, I take my "tips" off the S&S card and give it directly to the workers who provided the service. Do you really think they hand over the cash? Just curious.

Are goverment are the ones who let foreign flagged vessels operate like they do.They are the ones who know that these people are from low wage countries and are paid low wages.Yet you seem to think we have an obligation to supplement their wages.Why? The tips should be part of the fare and until you take it up with the corporation that structures these type of things this way and our goverment for allowing it, why interfear with other peoples right to choose.How stupid is it that there is a 'Suggested amount".Does this not suggest that we as americans are too stupid to figure it out? No, this is the cruise lines way making us pay the wages of people they treat like crap. If you have any concern take it up with your congress person. These ships that operate from US ports should be governed by US labor laws.It is that simple but we know it will never happen.The crew should be paid real wages and we should be able to tip them what we choose and not have it pooled. This is another issue regarding tips that shows how transparent they are or another argument that could be raised. If you are sailing with a group and one of your group receives real bad service from their cabin steward,should you not tip your steward because the one who gave real bad service would not really be hurt because with the pooling, thay are almost uneffected.Why work hard or go the extra mile when you still get paid. The tips should either be part of the fare or not pooled so each worker truley gets what they work for.

Steve

When I go to a restaurant here in the States, the standard tip is 15-20% of the meal total. That goes to servers that are not subject to the minimum wage, just like the workers on the ships. The suggested amount of $10 per person per day divided by the room steward, headwaiter and assistant waiter seem to be very reasonable to me when you calculate the relative dollar values of the meals and rooms that you are receiving.

Just as in a restaurant you can leave more or less than the standard amount, you can do so on the ship as well. I agree that there are problems with pooling. However, I have heard mixed reports as to how pooling is actually done. I have heard that all the tips are pooled, that only the cash tips are pooled, and that only the S&S tips are pooled. I have no clue what is really the true story.

Either way, I do not consider them to be supplemental wages.

Does anyone really believe that workers actually report how much extra cash they received from guests, just to have them pooled among 500-1,000+ people? I am sorry to say, but I think that is ridiculous. I gave an extra chunk of cash to both waiters on my recent Conquest cruise, and I hope to God they kept it for themselves and their families, as THEY deserved it. I did not give my cabin steward extra, as in my opinion he did not deserve it.

As long as the tips are left on the S&S they don't have to report anything at all... it is theirs to keep. If tips are taken off, that is when they have to report them... think about it, they keep a chunk of the tips without reporting them... tips are a way of managing how good the service was... not sure anyone is going to jeapardize their job that much... If they are reporting low figures, someone WILL notice. As long as the tips are left on the S&S, anything additional can be kept. The tips on the S&S are basically the minimum for doing their jobs... making the beds, changing out towels, etc. If they go above and beyond, you may want to tip a little extra....

What is considered extra special service that is above their job?

SteveQUOTE]

I wonder the same. I've only been on two cruises. What is extra special service?

livtojump: I had hoped that at the end of my trip I could write in the amt I wanted to give to each person. Not try to figure out what I've already given and calculate what more they deserve. I didn't mean to start such a deep conversation regarding tipping, although I'm glad I did. I have learned quite a bit. Now I plan to leave the tips as-is, and tip additional throughout the trip to those I feel deserve more.

Bluexmoon, for us the special services were: When we arrived not only had he already set up the birthday package, he gave my BF a special gift "from him"... he wished him a happy birthday and took 15 minutes to tell us about the ship, what to do, what his job was, how to reach him, etc. We did not have to ask him to push the beds together, he took it upon himself to do it... He took such wonderful care of our cabin and fulfilled our every need... when BF was deathly ill on the last day, and I did not want the cabin cleaned, he not only brought me extra towels, he asked if he could get us anything such as ginger ale or bonine... He always had a smile and would just brighten our day... we never had to go looking for him, he always seemed to "appear" when we needed him. THere was just so much he did to deserve extra. The tips on the S&S covered the basics... making the beds, cleaning the room and bathroom, replacing br items, keeping ice bucket full, etc.... but he would not only keep it full, but alternate our smuggled liquor to keep it cold, brought us an extra ice bucket to do so... We tipped him extra on the first day, not sure if that made the difference, but he got a GLOWING report from us to Carnival when we returned... He went above and beyond in every way as far as we were concerned...

when you tip extra, how do you do it?

As far as the cabin steward, do you leave it on the desk with a note, or hand it to them? How much do you give? Day one $5, $10?? Give daily, or a lump sum at the end?

Same ? for wait staff. I am new at this and just don't know what the etiquette(sp?) is.

OK I am a little confused. Can you reduce (not eliminate) the automatic tip and then tip in cash ? If you tip someone extra and another person less (in cash) does all of that cash go into a "pool" or do the individuals get to keep all of the cash?

Thanks

What I meant was ...If I reduce the auto tip amount, I assume they will divide that amount accordingly. Then if ( i will !! ) i tip individuals with cash, will that cash still go to a pool or will the individuals get to keep it?

What I meant was ...If I reduce the auto tip amount, I assume they will divide that amount accordingly. Then if ( i will !! ) i tip individuals with cash, will that cash still go to a pool or will the individuals get to keep it?

once and for all! if you remove the tips from the s&s card ANY tips paid out at the end of the cruise go into a pool just like the S&S card tips. if yopu leave the very reasonable S&S card tips alone any tip money you give to individuals they get to keep. I always tip our room steward extra at the end not only for their excellent service but also cuz they don't work alone, they always have a couple of assistants and they split their share of the tips with them. I would hope our cruisemates would see this as good info for the future.

once and for all! if you remove the tips from the s&s card ANY tips paid out at the end of the cruise go into a pool .......

I guess it is just late but.. I am not asking about REMOVING the tips on the s&s card only REDUCING it.

Thanks anyway

I think you can do whatever youwant. I don't mind the $70. I don't have to worry about tipping my bartender (more than likely a buck each time I'm served. which can be a lot if I'm gonna get hammered!LOL) then the steward, then the maitre'd then my head waiter and his assistant. It's all taken care. W gave our Headwaitress and Her assistant extra. It wasn't not much, but it was a little something at the end that i expected them to keep for themselves. I beleive I was on the cheap end, but I only went with very little spending money. I, however did not tip the room Steward anything extra, because I had to leave a note asking him to stop taking my wine outta the ice bucket. LOL.:D

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the appropraite $ amount should be. I mean, well I underrstand it depends on ho wexceptional the service was, but what ISN'T insulting?

I guess it is just late but.. I am not asking about REMOVING the tips on the s&s card only REDUCING it.

Thanks anyway

Why would you reduce the tips? I guess I could understand if your steward and wait staff didn't show up, your bed was never made, you never had towels and your room was never clean... but why else? Just curious....

The easiest way for me to handle tips is:

1. Leave the recommended amount on the S&S card, I've never had service so lacking that it required me to reduce or remove them;

2. Tip extra in cash when I request something extra (had a lounge chair brought to our Legend balcony);

3. Tip extra in cash at the end of the cruise, you can get envelopes from the Purser's desk, to those who have gone above basic service.

Our steward and waitstaff on our last cruise were such great guys! The waitstaff bent over backwards to fill our tablemate's and our requests, always were smiling and upbeat and we never had to wait for anything. Our steward was also a friendly person. He not only got us that lounge chair, but he found our collapsible cooler and kept it full of ice without being asked. For us, little things mean a lot! :)

On our first cruise service was excellent all around. Our 2nd was with carnival and when we got to our cabin - we noted our beds were not put together even though we were asked about this before cruising and filled out that we did indeed want them together. When we asked our cabin steward about it - she said I am extremely busy so perhaps I can get to it tonight or not. Now please keep in mind my boyfriend and I are not rude, demanding or anything other thing - we are both very kind, and pleasant. We told her not a problem - to take her time and we understood. I ended up writing her a short note and adding a $10.00 saying thanks in advance for doing this - no rush - we realize you have alot of passengers to take care of. Needless to say we had a 100% reversal of attitude. On the last day of the cruise I was terribly ill with noro as were some others on the ship and I was too ill to go to the main area to sit and wait for our color to be called - she told my boyfriend and I it was ok to stay in our room and she would clean ours last - realizing how sick I was and I felt that was extremely kind of her - considering we knew it would put her behind schedule.

We typically tip more for good service - we both were concerned that the auto tips would not get to the people we wanted them to - and so am a bit relieved to hear that whatever we give over the auto-tips the staff can keep for themselves.

Lets see:

If a waiter gets $3 per person per day and they serve 2 tables of 8, times 2 seatings thats $96 per day. Multiply that times 7 to get $672 per week times 50 weeks and thats $33,600 per year. Keep in mind they pay no room or board and all their earnings are not taxed in the U.S. Ask anyone of them and they will tell you they make more in a year on that ship than they would make in ten at home. If these ships where registered in the U.S. everything would be subject to our taxes making it too expensive for most families. The tip system works fine, if you have good service add if poor reduce, I don't understand the problem. People who change the system do nothing but make workers who would normally give equal attention to all guests, give special attention to one which in turn reduces the quality of service to the rest. The staff does not know what they will be getting from the guests so they work hard to make sure they get a good tip. If people start individually tipping, the overall service will go down and the only people who get good service are those who tip above and beyond the original tip. Then if you give a good tip and the person next to you gives a better tip, you just lost your good service to the highest bidder. WHY DO YOU THINK THE TIPPING IS ANNONOMOUS UNTIL THE END OF THE CRUISE.

LOL, It might work like that on the SS Minnow, but on a ship, that $3 may also have to be shared depending on his staff... AND, they do not work 50 weeks a year... most contracts average 6 months. Sorry, no matter how you slice it, the service folks on a cruise ship are not rolling in the dough... more US citizens would work on ships if that was the case. :rolleyes:

Sorry, no matter how you slice it, the service folks on a cruise ship are not rolling in the dough... more US citizens would work on ships if that was the case. :rolleyes:

How do you figure they are not rolling in it? I can never seem to understand that. Am I missing something?These are not US flagged vessels.They are staffed with third world workers who's standard of living is way below ours.

If the average wage in your country is $0.37 per hour for household workers and $0.74 to $1.11 for the rest you earn between $800 and $2200 per year. The same guy earns that in a month on a ship. Yes he is rolling in it after the first month.

Steve

PS.The above wages are from Dominica

How do you figure they are not rolling in it?

Rolling in it... referring to the people that continue to think these people are making $30K+ per year, which yes, in their countries, that would be rolling in it. And it was in comparison to US wages... (which is why I referred to more US Citizens working on ships)

:rolleyes: If we want to talk about wages of ALL the various countries these people are from... minimum wage in Jamaica is $41 dollars, but of course... that is Jamaican :D It's pointless to argue this... these people work 84 hours per week, don't see their families for 6 months at a time... and average making $1200-$1500 per month, $7200-$9000 a year...

There contracts are renewable for the next six months and they get 2 wks off between hence the 50 wks. No matter how you stack it they get a good deal. Plenty americans go work in iraq for $100,000 per year tax free, and for the same reason, good money in a short amount of time. These people choose to do this because it is worth it to them. Could you imagine a ship with all american workers, you would get no service at all.

Archived