Where to Stay in NYC before Cruise

Need a bit of help, my daughter is getting married on June 15, 2009, onboard the CCL Triumph out of NYC to Canada.

We have to go down at least the night before since we have to be at the pier by 11:30 am, day of the wedding.

Can anyone tell us a hotel(s) in the area, near the docks?

Thanks for any help that anyone can give to me! Carnival did not have any information.

nycmd_home_leftimage.jpg

114 West 40th Street

New York, New York 10018 USA

Phone: 1-212-391-0088

Fax: 1-212-391-6023

Sales: 1-212-380-5003

Sales fax: 1-212-938-0182

I know you said June 2009.. but you can not check that far in advance.. You would have to call

For June 2008 the rate is about $279/night which is excellent for this hotel.

What I like about this one in particular is you are not too far from Times Square..(2-3 blocks.. because this is closer to 5th Ave.) but not close enough to be in the 'crowds'.. this is a really safe area.

nycmd_phototour01.jpg?Log=1nycmd_phototour04.jpg?Log=1

nycmd_phototour12.jpg?Log=1

Good Luck! and Congrats!

We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott last year and really liked it. Great location, near subway lines and Times Square, within walking distance of a lot of attractions. The price was good and the employees were very friendly. I highly recommend it.

I just stayed at the Hilton on 6th. It was about 1 block to Rock Center and the subway. I subway stop to Times Square, easy sub ride to Macy's, Chinatown, etc. Very convenient. There was a street vender right by the hotel that had great gyro platter for $6.00!! Easy walk to 5th avenue one direction and the Ed Sullivan theatre (where David Letterman films) in the other. Starbucks onsite.

It was pricey, but very nice, great service. I don't think I would stay in Times Square after visiting there. It was hugely crowded even at midnight! And this was in February when six inches of snow fell the day before.

Hello I would stay in NJ right across the Hudson river its cheaper and you will like it. Send me a e mail on here and I can help you out I am from that area 10 min from NYC

JD

If you stay in this area how would you get to the port terminal?

I plan on going up the morning of the cruise and park at Metropark then take NJ Transit into the city and a cab from Penn Station to the terminal. I could be persuaded to go up the day before if I can find a place to stay that is reasonable - I know 'reasonable' and 'in the city' don't usually go together.

Thanks

If you stay in this area how would you get to the port terminal?

I plan on going up the morning of the cruise and park at Metropark then take NJ Transit into the city and a cab from Penn Station to the terminal. I could be persuaded to go up the day before if I can find a place to stay that is reasonable - I know 'reasonable' and 'in the city' don't usually go together.

Thanks

There is a Radisson, I think, right on the water in Weehawken and you can take the ferry over.

You can take the ferry over and if I am right they provide free bus to the termal

JD

Can you give me more info on the ferry and where I would board it?

Basically once I get over the DE Memorial Bridge I am lost, except for getting to Metro park. :D

I just stayed at the Hilton on 6th. It was about 1 block to Rock Center and the subway. I subway stop to Times Square, easy sub ride to Macy's, Chinatown, etc. Very convenient. There was a street vender right by the hotel that had great gyro platter for $6.00!! Easy walk to 5th avenue one direction and the Ed Sullivan theatre (where David Letterman films) in the other. Starbucks onsite.

It was pricey, but very nice, great service. I don't think I would stay in Times Square after visiting there. It was hugely crowded even at midnight! And this was in February when six inches of snow fell the day before.

We were booked at this hotel via Priceline. Got the room for $120 a night. It was small, but it was only for one night. Walking distance to Times Square and a mile from the cruise terminal. Beautiful hotel. Why don't you try Priceline when the time comes. Tons of Mid-town hotels to choose from.

If you are within an hour's flight of New York, I would recommend trying to get the first flight in on the day, it could arrive at 6.30 or 7.00 a.m. and the morning weather in June is usually good for landing. The earlier in the day you fly, the less likelihood of delayed arrival. Afternoons and early evening can be tricky with thunderstorms. You could also consider Amtrak or any of the regional trains. Another option is to try a one way car rental from your home to Newark airport and then getting a shuttle into the city. There are often good deals to be had renting a car for return to Newark, particularly for arriving on Sunday afternoon (they need lots of cars at Newark on Monday morning).

Www.hotels.com also has rates for hotels in New York. If you want to be close to the port, you are looking at mid-town Manhattan, which has some very nice, but pricey hotels, and some pretty dingey and less pricey hotels. All hotels in Manhattan are expensive by most people's reckoning. There is a Holiday Express Inn in 45th St between 5th & 6th that is new and well located. Hotels.com allows you to filter by price and location.

TROCK - we called a few hotels for the night of the 16th - way over $300 -- a bit much - LIRR it is - :cool:

$279 is a good rate for that hotel!

UGH That rate does not start til June!

Torture on the LIRR

Can you give me more info on the ferry and where I would board it?

Basically once I get over the DE Memorial Bridge I am lost, except for getting to Metro park.

http://www.nywaterway.com/ferry/terminals/port-imperial.asp

Port Imperial / Weehawken

to/from Midtown / W. 39th St.

FREE BUS SERVICE IN MANHATTAN

Ferry travels between Port Imperial in Weehawken, NJ and West 39th Street in Midtown Manhattan. Connecting shuttle bus service is available in Manhattan and New Jersey.

Special Fare

Bike Surcharge - $1.00

One Way Fare

Adult - $7.50fares-bullet.gifChild 6 - 11 - $4.50fares-bullet.gifSenior - $6.75fares-bullet.gifChild Under 6 - FREE

Multi-trip Fares

10-Trip - $62.75fares-bullet.gifBike & Ferry Pass - $262.00fares-bullet.gifMonthly - $232.00fares-bullet.gifStudent Monthly - $190.00

Bus Service (Free in Manhattan)

View Bus Routes

Info, Directions, & Connecting Routes: Midtown / W. 39th St. | Port Imperial / Weehawken

Purchase Tickets

Trock - Do you still work for the Courtyard? My DH works at Marriott Eastside.

HI!

No I work for the company that produces their custom wall coverings.. We did the Marriott Eastside too!!:D

I'm not sure where you live, but when we went down we stayed in CT the night before at a Courtyard, VERY REASONABLE RATE and then drove in in the a.m. and got there by 9:30..............NO STRESS.

I'm not sure where you live, but when we went down we stayed in CT the night before at a Courtyard, VERY REASONABLE RATE and then drove in in the a.m. and got there by 9:30..............NO STRESS.

Unless you are really desperate to stay in NYC, staying in CT is a good idea. I can recommend the Four Points by Sheraton and the Courtyard by Marriott in Norwalk. They're opposite the Merritt business park. There are also a number of other big chain hotels on that street (Main Avenue, Route 7). There is a Hertz car rental outlet in the Merrit business park so you could rent a car and drive to NYC and return the car there, or take the Metro North from the Merritt station. You can also get a Red Dot shuttle to New York. You may even be able to get a flight to Westchester County Aiport which is more convenient to Norwalk than any of the New York City airports.

I've had rates as low as $79 per night at Four Points. Flying into Westchester, you'd probably have to rent a car. If you fly into NY you can get a shuttle to Grand Central Terminal for about $25, then take a $40 round trip train ride to Norwalk South or Merritt (rush hour service only) and grab a cab to any of the hotels along Main Avenue. Then in the morning you take the Metro North back to Grand Central and cab it across town to the cruise terminal on 55th St and 12th Avenue. Total cost for a very nice hotel room and transportation about $190, compared to $300 in New York for a hotel room that is tiny and possibly not at all nice.

Just as an FYI, we stayed in Manchester, CT at the Courtyard for $46 (on Priceline). Lots of places to eat and a mall close by(for any last minute necessities)....... Just slightly over Two hours to the Pier the next morning..........

JDfireman:

What city in New Jersey would we look for a hotel? We have one booked by Penn Station in NY but if it's cheaper in NJ we might want to change out reservation. We are flying from Florida the night before our cruise.

Archived