Booking Excursions Onboard - European Cruises

DH and I are dreaming doing a 12 Day Brilliance European cruise in a couple of years. Of course, the excursions are just a little expensive. Does anyone know how quickly these book up? My current version of this dream involves using my BOA onboard credits towards the cost of the excursions, but, of course, I can't do this unless I can book them onboard. Has anyone done this with any success?

DH and I are dreaming doing a 12 Day Brilliance European cruise in a couple of years. Of course, the excursions are just a little expensive. Does anyone know how quickly these book up? My current version of this dream involves using my BOA onboard credits towards the cost of the excursions, but, of course, I can't do this unless I can book them onboard. Has anyone done this with any success?

If there is an excursion early on in the cruise that you really want to take, I'd suggest booking it ahead. For excursions later in the cruise you should be fine booking onboard - but I'd do it in the first day or so. Also if there is an excursion you just can't miss, book it ahead just to be safe. Just MHO. (And have fun on Brilliance. She's a beautiful ship.)

I just booked our excursions for our July trip. Our cruise is still 2 months off, but one of the excursions I wanted was already booked. If there is something you really, really want, don't wait until you get onboard.

We're going on the Brilliance in Sept. for 12 days and since we're traveling with friends have already booked our excursions through independent contractors. We were able to book 6 passenger vans for each one at a flat rate ( about 500 euro's per excursion ) that does not have to be paid until the excursion ends. We'll basically have 3 couples splitting the bill so it won't be too terribly expensive, plus it give us more freedom as to where to go and what to see and where to eat. We also will not be herded into large busses and be at the mercy of the crowd. I'm sure the OBC that we have coming, will be used for our bar tabs and bottles of wine.

Aubie

We did that cruise last year and we also had the CC OBC. So we booked almost all of our excursions onboard. We did one private tour and that was booked ahead, but paid for after the excursion. But with the Euro being what it is, the ship's excursions do not seem that pricey. So yes it can be done.

Hey, Vicki! :)

I'm pretty sure most of the popular bus tours of the cities will have space available once you board. I think they just continue to add busses depending on the number of people booking.

We used Driver in Rome in Rome and our driver, Daniele, was fabulous. We were two couples which kept it more cost effective. But it was by far our best day and we go to do so much more than a ship-sponsored tour could have done.

We did use ship-sponsored tours for Monaco/Monte Carlo, Florence/Pisa and in Naples (Pompeii). And we were happy for the most part with them. The Florence part was a bit rushed but we did see a lot. Pisa is amazing. Do not skip!

But with the dollar sinking like a rock it makes it hard to book privately and have to pay in Euros. So you best bets money-wise is to book through the cruiseline.

Email me you itinerary and let's talk about it. I'll email you photos from our Med cruise last year.

Would love to help anyway I can! :)

Archived