Mini Suites on The Dawn

bouy

Has anyone stayed in either one of the mini suites on the Dawn? This Jan. we have booked 11116 for the 11 day cruise. So I thought in 06 we would try the other one 11616.But in another board someone said that room was noisey from them moving the tables around to change the buffet area into the restaurant.When I posted the question as to how noisey it was.(I'm a very light sleeper) and should we switch cabins I got no reply.If anyone has any input I would appreciate it.

I stayed in 11616 this past spring. Sorry to say the noise (especially for us light sleepers) was horrible. It started around 11:00 pm and lasted 2 - 3 hours most nights. I called and went to reception several nights until I was told there really was nothing they could do. Storage closets were above the room and it sounded like very heavy furniture was falling or thrown on the floor. I even looked in the closets. We did get a $$credit for the disturbance but I would gladly have traded it for a quiet night's sleep!

I would NOT book this room again.

I also had problem with the main dining Venetian during lunch and breakfast it was the only dining room serving then. I was pushing mom in her wheelchair and Every single day, one of the 2 double doors for entry was closed and it was incredibly difficult to get in. I spoke to many waiters, maitri'd, assistant maitri'ds, and eventually the director of F & B ( he had called my cabin regarding the PM noise) ... and to the very last day, the doors were still closed. I was so shocked that NCL was not obliging with those doors.

Also on the promenade deck, there are no doors that are automatic to get wheelchair out. And again on pool deck by the buffet, they would close off one side, different times during day and evening, -always by the only automatic door, so I always would have to find someone to hold open door for us to exit.

NCL has been a great line for us in the past, but the Dawn was sadly a big dissappointment for wheelchair use.

Hopefully things have improved ??

Thanks Tuesday for the info. As soon as I read what you said I went to switch mini suites but the other one is all ready booked.Which doesn't surprise me considering it is very unusual to find a mini suite thats accessible. I might wait untill we cruise in Jan. to see if having the mini suite is worth it or next cruise go for a cat. BB little cheaper but still have balcony.I surprised about what you said about the Dawn not being very maneuverable,thats one of the things we love about NCL is how great the ships usaully are.I too hope things have improved.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Dawn in Mar/April '04 and found it ok. My wife uses a wheelchair, but can also walk short distances.

We used the automatic doors when we could, and had very obliging people at other times who gladly held doors, etc. There was only a couple of times when we were on our own and we survived just fine.

We had an inside (C 315?) and it was very spacious. We were just looking to save some $$ to use on-shore. I did go around on the final day and look at the accessible outside cabins and the mini-suite. Next time I might book the outside, but I just didn't see alot in the mini that was over the outside for the $$.

I must say, the Princess staff was pretty darned good in helping out when we needed it. I hope we were not the exceptions!

Have a GREAT time either way.

• 5 months later...

:D I am traveling in April 05 on the Dawn with my parents. My dad is in a wheelchair, he can walk short distances. Does any one know:

1) are the pools easy for older people to get in and out of?

2) they are staying in 11116 (I saw someone message that they staid in this room). How comfortable is the bed?

3) are there plenty of wheelchairs for the private island - should I call now or can we only reserve them once on board?

4) We are going to Port Canaveral, Miami and Bahamas - what about excersions with the wheelchair?

Any other suggestions/comments for wheelchair accessibility?

Thanks.

This is our 4th cruise with NCL - but first for my parents - so we are new at the wheelchair thing!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jesjac

Anxous to hear how wheelchair worked in cabin 11116

Deck 11 on the NCL Dawn. Looking at this room and all

comments very much appreciated. Have taken many

cruises but never on NCL.

Bill

Baron2e

• 2 weeks later...

Jusst got back from the 4-10 on the dawn. We stayed in cabins 10200 and 10198, both handicapped. The better one was 10198 as it did not have the support post in the middle of the floor as did 10200. Previously sailed in 11116 but dropped down to BB when we were able to take another family member in a wheelchair. (2). The BB cabins were large enough and had the same size bath as 11116. All had easy access to elevators. One odd note: We were on the sail that was hit by the rogue wave and the passengers in the wheelchairs did better than those of us on two legs. The wide wheel base gave them more stability.

• 4 weeks later...

I really liked this cabin except for the noise from the buffet area on deck 12. But we just opened the balcony door so the sounds of the sea covered up the noise. The balcony is doubled the size of the normal mini suites,as was the whole room.There are two sets of balcony doors,so you can really enjoy the freesh air. The cabin was also very large. we were able to open up the couch and my husband still had pleny of room to get around the cabin.Bathroom was also big. We have never had any problems with NCL regarding HC rooms.

We didn't make it to their private island we went to the caribbean.

Archived