Excellent adventure on Dawn 4/27 (pretty long)

This trip was a birthday present for my mother. She had never cruised before and except for a little sea sickness the first couple of days, she really enjoyed the ship, Bermuda and the pampering.

We ran into traffic on the way to the Pier in Manhattan and remained calm while some rude drivers cut into our lane, causing grid lock and some ill will. We arrived around 12:00. Boarding went very well and once through security we got our ship cards and photo in less than 15 minutes we were on the Dawn with glasses of champagne in our hands. Our rooms were not expected to be ready until 2, so we went to the spa to arrange a 7 day pass. The spa was aft, on the same floor as our rooms and because I expected the weather to be iffy, thought the indoor spa pool would offer a haven of R if topside was too cold or too crowded. I was right and we enjoyed the spa pool and hot tubs almost everyday.

We met up with some of the cruise critic gang on Monday and our informal gathering was great. So much fun putting names and faces to everyone I had chatted with online. (Hi everyone!)

Our cabin: Was a pleasant surprise, Much roomier than I expected after hearing complaints that the mini suit was just a little bit bigger than a balcony. It was quite a bit bigger and the bathroom was way bigger. Our stewards Ferdinand and Alma were pleasand and efficient. We did not see them very much, but the bunny and elephant towel animals were

Food: Overall I thought the food in the buffet was quite good. I enjoyed the soup station and the Indian food on several occasions. While my mother seemed to like the salad and sushi. We did breakfast here once and lunch several times and dinner once. The dress the tables up a bit for dinner with table cloths and waiters take wine and drink orders. Mother loved the ice tea and because she can be impatient when hungry, the buffet venue suited her well. We had dinner twice at the Venetian and it was the least favorite of our dining adventures aboard ship. First night I had salmon and it was okay, mother had lamb and it was awful. Later in the trip we did the murder mystery dinner there and had we both had the flounder - again is was just okay. The next night we had reservations at Bamboo (Asian with a surcharge). While exploring the ship they had samples to taste which convinced us to have dinner there. The dinner was lovely to look at, but not a super culinary experience and I was a little disappointed. We did burgers and dogs at the outdoor BBQ and at Biminis. They we good. The best meal was at Le Bistro. Wher I dined on cardinal of the seas (2 lobster tail in a very nice sauce). As an artist in real life, I enjoyed dining with the master paintings of Van Gough, Monet and Ruebens. We also enjoyed a meal at Salsa's (reservations recommended, but no charge). Every morning, we had coffee and pastry via room service - it was very quick and yummy.

Entertainment: We went to one show in the Stardust and enjoyed it. But most of the time we retired pretty early. Sometimes I would go the the King's Pearl Pub to enjoy the guitarist Aaron. He was great, but they would not close the Pub doors (fire safety they said) and more often than not the band in the atrium was too loud and interfered with listening to music in the pub. The band topside by the pool was fun and in good weather we played yatzee and sketched pictures while enjoying the band. My mother is a super fast reader and was able to get through at least a book a day - so the library was a life saver for her.

Bermuda: The moment we arrived in Kings Wharf (the dockyard), we bought a 3 day bus/ferry pass and hopped onto a ferry to St. Georges. This pretty town was once the capital of Bermuda. It is on the opposite side of the islands from the dockyard and I think it is the quaintest of the towns. We toured some sites and museums and shopped. Then we took a bus to Hamilton, had dinner and enjoyed the street fair and fireworks. Took a ferry back to the ship at Kings Wharf. The next morning the ship was leaving to anchor in the bay at Hamilton, but we got off before it left to explore the dockyards. Enjoyed the shops, the ceramic and glass studio and loved the Maritime Museum, but we did not get to the dolphin park cause we got too tired. Took a bus to Hamilton and tendered in a rolly polly lifeboat to the ship. Our last day in Bermuda we did the Botanical Gardens and Museum. Camden house is the Premier's official house (at the gardens) and only open between 12 and 2 on Tuesdays and Fridays. We got lucky and were able to get a tour. Did some last minute shopping and headed back to the ship about an hour before the last tender at 4pm (you don't want to miss that boat).

Overall: We had a great time. This was my 2nd cruise to Bermuda and I still have not managed to do the aquarium and zoo...Oh well, maybe next time!:)

BellaBeauBean-

Welcome back. It was a pleasure to meet you.

What is the significance of the Bean part of your name? I was talking to my daughter and mentioned you and said, I don't know what the bean part is. She pointed to the words, "Coco Bean." Guess what we were looking at!!!:D

Thank you.

Good to hear from you again! The Bellabeaubean name is just something I made up. But I thought it was interesting that while exploring the history of Bermuda in the museums there were several ladies named Belle and or Bella and the last name Bean was quite common. Perhaps I have been reincarnated. LOL. The book dedication to Coco Bean was to a little kitty I had who died giving birth around the time that I was putting the book together last May - it broke my heart and i wanted to remember her.

Tara - how did you like this ship? We were with you on the Pride of Aloha in February - thinking of booking the Dawn next February out of Miami - any info you can pass on is appreciated.

Tara - how did you like this ship? We were with you on the Pride of Aloha in February - thinking of booking the Dawn next February out of Miami - any info you can pass on is appreciated.

I loved it. It was actually our fourth time on the ship. It was the first time that we took the Dawn to Bermuda. As my husband "complained" about lack of relaxation time on the Aloha, I just kept telling him he could relax on the Dawn.

My cruise started on a very positive note. The room steward that we had on the Aloha actually got off the Aloha the same day as we did. He transferred to the Dawn. We had told him when we would be on the Dawn. As part of Freestyle 2.0, we received a welcome aboard glass of champagne. Our Aloha room steward was there with my glass waiting for me. I thought it was such an awesome surprise. He was not our steward on the Dawn, but his welcome was so nice. I feel like it set the tone for the whole cruise.

I don't know if I'm too easy to please, but I had a really great time. I thought the food was excellent. We ate in the buffet a couple of times, the main dining room Versaille once, and four different specialty restaurants - Cagney's, Bamboo, LeBistro, and Salsa. I enjoyed all of them. We watched some sporting events at night in the pub and went to shows a couple of nights. I have read some of the comments from the same week I was on and can't believe what some people are saying.

My traveling companions were great, the ship was great, the food was great and the itinerary was great. I know you would have a different itinerary but I would definately recommend that you book the Dawn.

This trip was a birthday present for my mother. She had never cruised before and except for a little sea sickness the first couple of days, she really enjoyed the ship, Bermuda and the pampering.

We ran into traffic on the way to the Pier in Manhattan and remained calm while some rude drivers cut into our lane, causing grid lock and some ill will. We arrived around 12:00. Boarding went very well and once through security we got our ship cards and photo in less than 15 minutes we were on the Dawn with glasses of champagne in our hands. Our rooms were not expected to be ready until 2, so we went to the spa to arrange a 7 day pass. The spa was aft, on the same floor as our rooms and because I expected the weather to be iffy, thought the indoor spa pool would offer a haven of R if topside was too cold or too crowded. I was right and we enjoyed the spa pool and hot tubs almost everyday.

We met up with some of the cruise critic gang on Monday and our informal gathering was great. So much fun putting names and faces to everyone I had chatted with online. (Hi everyone!)

Our cabin: Was a pleasant surprise, Much roomier than I expected after hearing complaints that the mini suit was just a little bit bigger than a balcony. It was quite a bit bigger and the bathroom was way bigger. Our stewards Ferdinand and Alma were pleasand and efficient. We did not see them very much, but the bunny and elephant towel animals were

Food: Overall I thought the food in the buffet was quite good. I enjoyed the soup station and the Indian food on several occasions. While my mother seemed to like the salad and sushi. We did breakfast here once and lunch several times and dinner once. The dress the tables up a bit for dinner with table cloths and waiters take wine and drink orders. Mother loved the ice tea and because she can be impatient when hungry, the buffet venue suited her well. We had dinner twice at the Venetian and it was the least favorite of our dining adventures aboard ship. First night I had salmon and it was okay, mother had lamb and it was awful. Later in the trip we did the murder mystery dinner there and had we both had the flounder - again is was just okay. The next night we had reservations at Bamboo (Asian with a surcharge). While exploring the ship they had samples to taste which convinced us to have dinner there. The dinner was lovely to look at, but not a super culinary experience and I was a little disappointed. We did burgers and dogs at the outdoor BBQ and at Biminis. They we good. The best meal was at Le Bistro. Wher I dined on cardinal of the seas (2 lobster tail in a very nice sauce). As an artist in real life, I enjoyed dining with the master paintings of Van Gough, Monet and Ruebens. We also enjoyed a meal at Salsa's (reservations recommended, but no charge). Every morning, we had coffee and pastry via room service - it was very quick and yummy.

Entertainment: We went to one show in the Stardust and enjoyed it. But most of the time we retired pretty early. Sometimes I would go the the King's Pearl Pub to enjoy the guitarist Aaron. He was great, but they would not close the Pub doors (fire safety they said) and more often than not the band in the atrium was too loud and interfered with listening to music in the pub. The band topside by the pool was fun and in good weather we played yatzee and sketched pictures while enjoying the band. My mother is a super fast reader and was able to get through at least a book a day - so the library was a life saver for her.

Bermuda: The moment we arrived in Kings Wharf (the dockyard), we bought a 3 day bus/ferry pass and hopped onto a ferry to St. Georges. This pretty town was once the capital of Bermuda. It is on the opposite side of the islands from the dockyard and I think it is the quaintest of the towns. We toured some sites and museums and shopped. Then we took a bus to Hamilton, had dinner and enjoyed the street fair and fireworks. Took a ferry back to the ship at Kings Wharf. The next morning the ship was leaving to anchor in the bay at Hamilton, but we got off before it left to explore the dockyards. Enjoyed the shops, the ceramic and glass studio and loved the Maritime Museum, but we did not get to the dolphin park cause we got too tired. Took a bus to Hamilton and tendered in a rolly polly lifeboat to the ship. Our last day in Bermuda we did the Botanical Gardens and Museum. Camden house is the Premier's official house (at the gardens) and only open between 12 and 2 on Tuesdays and Fridays. We got lucky and were able to get a tour. Did some last minute shopping and headed back to the ship about an hour before the last tender at 4pm (you don't want to miss that boat).

Overall: We had a great time. This was my 2nd cruise to Bermuda and I still have not managed to do the aquarium and zoo...Oh well, maybe next time!:)

Thanks for posting your review. It was fun to read and I'm happy you had good time. We leave on the 18th and are very excited as this is our first trip to Bermuda.

Please tell us how you liked the Botanical Gardens and Museum as we intend to take the tour on that Friday, thank you.

The Botanical Gardens are about 2km from the Hamilton Harbor (too far for me to walk when I am walking everywhere everyday). We took a taxi (can't remember how much, but I dont think it was more than $10) and the public bus back to Hamilton proper. The gardens are lovely, but not as large as the garden map makes them look. You will have no trouble covering the grounds in a couple of hours. If you are there on Friday between 12 and 2 you can tour Camden house, which is absolutely beautiful with a long dining table carved in the same wood and style as the fireplace. The Museum, I should have mentioned, was the Art Museum/City Hall. It is just a couple blocks up the hill from the Harbor and right next to the bus terminal. They showcased some very good Bermudian artists.

I know you will enjoy your trip! Have a great cruise!

Thanks BellaBeauBean. My wife is an avid gardener and grows orchids. By your description it sounds like it will be a very worthwhile place to see when there.

Thanks again for the helpful information.

Happy Cruising!:)

Tara Thanks for the info on the Dawn - happy to hear that you had an excellent time - can't really say that I've ever been on a horrible cruise - its truly what you make of it. Some are better than others. We're thinking of driving down to Florida this winter - haven't done that in years. Will try and find a condo for a few weeks and then do the cruise the end of February. Do you have any other cruises booked? I'll have to keep my eye on these Dawn reviews.

Do you have any other cruises booked? I'll have to keep my eye on these Dawn reviews.

No and it's driving me nuts. Just about a year ago, I had 4 cruises booked. A two-day, a five-day, a seven-day, and of course the 10 day on the Aloha. I have NOTHING booked now. I'm hoping maybe we'll pick up a late season Boston or NY to Bermuda in the late summer or fall. Several family members want to do the Boston to Bermuda in the summer of 2009, so we could do that. Basically I wouldn't care what cruise I did if the price was right.

• Administrators
Thanks for the review. It is quite different than some of the reviews on this sailing. Good to know that the Dawn is not falling apart. LOL

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

You know, I was just thinking "what a pleasant, balanced read" compared to the folks who have been coming out of the woodwork lately. :) No airing of family laundry, no subject matter detours to whine about how security onboard ship handles those folks who aren't prepared to act like civilized human beings (and which posts then argue about whether security did too much or too little to handle the offender)!

I based our decision to book the Dawn for '09 on the zillion posts here from those who have sailed her multiple times and continue coming back, and most of those posters have from 1K to 10K posts (and some have more). Recent flame-bait posts aside, I stick with my initial judgment. I think we will love this ship!

We usually have 4 weeks at sea booked before 1/1 of the year and cancel when we find something better. Quite entertained with Candance, the Cruise Consultant & Edward her assistant. At her meeting we'd ask questions & she was thanking us for her covering everything. She talked on future cruises & agreed that air is ridiculous & she comes up with a close to 3 weeks cruise in September which is slow time for Jerry. Then tells us to book after 7/15 to get the best rate for the best stateroom, as Jerry stated Mini from now on. He loved the shower in the tub with the mat so no sliding. I loved to soak after walking for hours to enjoy the island. Plenty of room & balcony the same size as the penthouses. Fell asleep in the lounger first night........but we were up at 3AM.

No and it's driving me nuts. Just about a year ago, I had 4 cruises booked. A two-day, a five-day, a seven-day, and of course the 10 day on the Aloha. I have NOTHING booked now. I'm hoping maybe we'll pick up a late season Boston or NY to Bermuda in the late summer or fall. Several family members want to do the Boston to Bermuda in the summer of 2009, so we could do that. Basically I wouldn't care what cruise I did if the price was right.

Thanks, Bella - great review!

Love love love hearing great things about my favorite ship!

We love the Dawn so much, we don't quite dare to try another...boring, huh? :o LOL

Thanks again!

Thanks for the review. I noticed you said that you booked a 7 day spa pass but what does that allow you to do? Can you use the pool and hot tubs in the spa without it? Also, never done NCL, are you able to get tables for 2 with freestyle dining? Thanks!

Sandytoes, I think there may be some confusion about the spa. To use the indoor spa pool and hot tubs is $20 a day or a weekly pass is $75. I think if you purchase a spa treatment, such as a massage you get to use the spa free, but I am not positive about that. The excersize room above the spa (with tred mills and stuff) is free.

I have never had any trouble making reservations for two on any of my NCL cruises.

Enjoy your cruise, and don't forget to let us know how it went:)

Sandytoes, I think there may be some confusion about the spa. To use the indoor spa pool and hot tubs is $20 a day or a weekly pass is $75. I think if you purchase a spa treatment, such as a massage you get to use the spa free, but I am not positive about that. The excersize room above the spa (with tred mills and stuff) is free.

I have never had any trouble making reservations for two on any of my NCL cruises.

Enjoy your cruise, and don't forget to let us know how it went:)

Thanks for clearing things up. Did you find the spa pool and hot tub to be crowded?

Archived