Costa alcohol policy

anngie

We are considering a Costa cruise in January. We have never sailed on this line before but like some of the itineraries. I have been to the Costa website in order to find out some of their policies and cannot find any pertaining to alcohol. For those who have cruised on Costa what is their policy on bringing alcohol onboard and can you buy a bottle of liquor in their onboard store and take it back to your cabin to drink there? What are beer prices onboard?

We are considering a Costa cruise in January. We have never sailed on this line before but like some of the itineraries. I have been to the Costa website in order to find out some of their policies and cannot find any pertaining to alcohol. For those who have cruised on Costa what is their policy on bringing alcohol onboard and can you buy a bottle of liquor in their onboard store and take it back to your cabin to drink there? What are beer prices onboard?
I cruised on Costa a few years ago, I am sure that their policy is the same as all the other cruise lines alcohol is NOT allowed aboard the shei. They want you to buy theirs. We always put a few bottles of wine in our suitcast wrapped in bubble wrap we also like to have a drink in the room. Good luch and have a great cruise. Lorelle

We've never had a problem carrying on small bottles of whiskey or wine from ports of call. Security puts your bags through the scanner and they never said anything on any of my Costa cruises, nor did I see any alcohol products being confiscated.

I thought the price for alcohol drinks and beer were cheaper than on other lines we have been on. Friends of ours brought 2 cases of bud on board when we stopped in Key West than again in Progresso Mexico, they were not stopped. They brought it to the pool on both sea days and nobody said anything.

Thanks for your replies. Matt, I have seen your posts and see that you are a regular and recent customer. What about beer prices on the ship? My dh is a beer drinker and that is an important topic for him.

Next time you go to a night club to dance take your own booze.

Wouldn't allow you would they. So why it is any diffeence when a ship doesn't allow or want you to bring and consume your own alcoholic beverages on their ship.

With cruise prices so low they must make a profit somewhere.

Don

I think I asked some specific questions if you go back and look at my post:

What is Costa's policy on bringing alcohol onboard and can you buy a bottle of liquor in their onboard store and take it back to your cabin to drink in privacy while you are sitting on the balcony or while you are dressing for dinner? What are beer prices onboard?

I asked a policy question that has been answered. No, I would not take a bottle of anything even a coke to a nightclub but I don't stay at a nightclub 7 days either. Some cruise-lines do allow you to take wine or champagne onboard. I only asked what Costa's policy is. It is not specified on their website. The other 2 questions have not been answered. If you know the answers to these questions I would appreciate your reply.

Hi Anngie

Was on the Mediterranea in Feb. To answer the two other questions, you could not take the alcohol you buy in the onboard shop to your room, they hold on to it until the end of the cruise. My DH also is a beer drinker and I can't remember what the cost was, depended on brand, but I think it was 3.50 to 5.00 per beer. I'll ask if he remembers, and give you an answer tomorrow.

We bought alcohol in port and they did not take it from us when we boarded. So we had it in our room the whole time. (Didn't drink it, was a gift).

We had a great time on our cruise, I hope you do too.

We have been on so many cruises that allow you to buy the bottle of whatever on board and pay an extra fee to take it back to your room. Is this simply a Royal Carribean policy? If thats the case, we'll take our own. I am willing to pay a fee but this seems like a silly policy. I wouldn't care if it was $20.00 per bottle more. I like the convenience of making your own drink in your cabin, and relaxing on the balcony.

• 1 month later...

I usually bring a case or two of beer with me (in checked luggage of course) and I buy the drink of the day which comes in a large colorful plastic cup with the cruise logo on it. I then refill the drink in my room with the beverage of my choice and have no problem entering any bar on the ship( I do buy refills at the bar though once I'm there) Now this is only for the extreme cheapos like me and is probably illegal in all US states including territories Puerto Rico and Guam. But hey, were in international waters so what the heck, all they can do is throw me overboard or make me eat the food onboard...of which could kill me!

Do not attempt any of these stunts as they are performed by professional drunks!

we were on the Costa Tropicale in Sep/Oct 04 and there were no restrictions or signs at all about bring on board your own tipple! However, on the Costa Magica 10 November 2004 a short paragraph in the daily news stated that any alcohol beverages being brought onto the ship would be confiscated and returned when you disembarked. However, there were definitely no signs of this happening - the security guys were having enough trouble checking photo id when you boarded.

Perhaps though this should be remembered in the future that it must be the new Costa policy albeit unenforced!

Archived