Oosterdam or Westerdam for Alaska

cigloo

Hello all.

We can't decide wheter to sail the Oosterdam or Westerdam this September in Alaska. Any input would be greatly appreciated. There are 3 of us in a room (teenager traveling with us).

Thanks!

We've only ever sailed on the Oosterdam (September 2006), so I'm biased, but we enjoyed it so much that we're sailing on Oosterdam AGAIN in just 21 days. The ship itself is understated elegance, never feels crowded, always little nooks and cranies to explore, magnificent viewing of the Hubbard Glacier, incredible amazing staff! What more could you ask for??? The beds on the Oosterdam are to die for! Wanted to take our mattress home with us - best sleep I've ever had (and I don't normally sleep well at all!). Would highly recommend it! Whichever ship you choose though, I really think you can't go wrong with HAL. They sure do it right - especially to Alaska! Enjoy your cruise!

:) Only Been on the Oosterdam but was Fantastic, Loved every minute of it, Besides you get to see Hubbard Glacier, you go further up the state which is really nice. Saturday to Saturday is also very nice, easy for work.

They are sister ships, though Westerdam has had some changes done to her which Oosterdam has not yet had. But really there is not enough difference between the ships to matter, and HAL's service, beds, cabins, and food all appear to be pretty consistent fleet-wide. So as others have said, I would choose by itinerary first, date and/or price second, rather than by ship.

Choose by intinerary, either Hubbard or Glacier Bay.

I would probably go for Hubbard in September and Glacier Bay in May -June.

I'm with Hammy, choose by itinerary. Oosterdam does Hubbard Glacier, and Westerdam does Glacier Bay.

I have done both ships and have to say that the Oosterdam was my favorite. Food and service on this ship were better than on the Zuiderdam, Noordam and Westerdam.

I did like the new look of the Westerdam but imagine the Oosterdam has also had some of those improvements.

Hubbard is the most fabulous of the glaciers that I have seen but weather can affect how close the ship gets. Glacier Bay has beautiful scenery and we enjoyed that as well.

Archived