Victoria Pubs

I would like to go to a traditional English pub while in Victoria. can someone recomend one close to the cruise port?

We are visiting Victoria on our cruise and have purchased a Pub Tour, if I find out the names of the pubs I will post them.

Click on link for Top Ten Victoria Pubs

http://www.10best.com/Victoria/Nightlife/Pubs/index.html

Tour Description:

Victoria is known for its flowers and gardens, but there is a secret treasure few visitors have the time to experience - the pubs!

Downtown Victoria has a wide array of pubs and microbreweries. Relax in a traditional English-style pub and visit others with a uniquely Canadian atmosphere that's not to be found elsewhere. Visit three different taverns and sample the finest local brews Canada has to offer. Complimentary light appetizers are served at two of your stops. Experience this tour with old friends and make some new ones, too!

These five pubs are in the downtown area and not more than 3 blocks apart so quite walkable. You will likely want to take a cab or shuttle from the pier to the Empress Hotel then start walking. Hugo’s by the way is a trendy brew pub and not in the English Pub tradition:

Bartholomews in the Executive House 777 Douglas St.

TheSticky Wicket in the Strathconna 919 Douglas St.

Hugo’s Brew Pub in the Magnolia 623 Courtenay

The Old Bailey at 777 Courtenay

There is the Irish Times Pub at 1200 Government …..haven’t been there myself but I understand it a bit touristy.

You could also walk over to the Swans at 506 Pandora, which would be about a 7 block walk from the Sticky Wicket so you might want to cab it.

If you decide to go to the Swans then you may as well carry on by cab to the Vancouver Island Brewing company at 2330 Government St. Then again by cab to Spinnakers at 308 Catherine St.

The cab fares should all be under $10 and a pint of beer will run you about $5 and most of these places will have wine, spirits and soft drinks available for the non beer drinkers.

Should you decide to go by cab, I would start at Spinnakers then the Van. Is. Brewing Co., then Swans then come into the Sticky Wicket and then you walk to the others.

I would like to go to a traditional English pub while in Victoria. can someone recomend one close to the cruise port?

Pubs; in order of recommendation for a tourist (and beer quality)

1) Spinnikers; Mary st, vic West. take the harbour ferry from in front of the parl bldgs, it drops you right near spinnys

2) Swans; At the corner of Johnson & Store street

3) Sticky Wicket in the Strathcona hotel, 700 block Douglas,

4) Bartholemews (aka Barts) Executive House Hotel, corner of Douglas and Humbolt

That should be enough to let you wet your whistle, and would make a nice circular route. Add the James Bay Pub (Government St 4 blocks north of the water) on the way home and you have a full loop.

Archived