Celebrity charges more for the prime Dinner?

Cal Cruiser

Guest alexMD

I'm not sure if all stars are equal.

I have eaten in several US "5 star" restaurants that couldn't hold a candle to a French "2 star" restaurant. That being said, I think the specialty restaurant service is at a US "5 star" level, and the food is not quite at the that level but close. Still, it beats the dining room for freshness and taste, although not for variety.

I don't mind paying extra for the ambiance, service and better food, and will eat at the specialty restaurant every night until I get bored.

Oh, I also forgot that I prefer to linger over a good meal, so I appreciate the unrushed pace of the alternative restaurant.

Why is everyone computing the price (or tipping charge), in the specialty restaurants as a separate item is beyong me!! First, you must consider that the cost of all the meals is included in your total cruise price. The "upcharge" is in addition to what you are already paying for a meal in the main dining room. That makes the cost higher than $30.00 pp.

If one wants to celebrate a special occassion, or just indulge, in a spectacular environment, with all the trimmings, then the $30.00 pp should be worth it. If not, then eat in the main dining room.

After all, what would be next - balcony rooms priced the same as inside rooms, suites priced the same as balcony rooms, etc?

I agree with previous posts in regards to people wanting it all included in the price of their cruise. There are such cruises - they are on the luxury lines, at a significantly higher price of admission. And even on those, there are still extras that are not included.

When we were on the Millenium we ended up eating at the Olympic not once.......but twice. (We booked the second time after we ate there the first time) It was outstanding. I have no problem paying extra for dining there. It is on the higher end of what other cruise lines charge for their private dining room. However, it was far and above the BEST alternative dining option I've had.

Hi Nikole,

My wife and I also did the specialty on the Summit twice, for the same reasons. But we also found that Sabatinis on the "Grand" was pretty darn good also. Even though my sister-in-law insulted one of the waiters. (she did not mean too!!) :eek:

Hi Nikole,

My wife and I also did the specialty on the Summit twice, for the same reasons. But we also found that Sabatinis on the "Grand" was pretty darn good also. Even though my sister-in-law insulted one of the waiters. (she did not mean too!!) :eek:

Hi there! :)

Actually I ate at Sabatinis as well. It was VERY good but just didn't compare IMO to the Olympic. The food was good though. I think the Olympic was more of a total dining experience. The service, various menus, MANY course meal, etc. Although, I must say as a whole I wasn't very impressed with Princess. I thought the rest of their food wasn't that good. Then I went on Celebrity and realized how good cruise food could be! :)

Hi Nikole,

I am not arguing that point with you, just pointing out that Sabatinis was a pleasant experience. I agree, the food on Celebrity is better than the food on Princess, but then again my wife does not agree with either of us. She is standing over my shoulder right now and says I amn spending too much time here, goodnight!!

Bill

What is this, it was bad enough at 25 dollars now 30 dollars is charged? I feel that nickel and dimeing us to death is just a bit much. I like to eat in the United States or the the other prime dinner places, but I feel that charging that much is a little overboard. Ha HA

What do you others think?????

Hi Everyone !

I must say, that I have been pretty vocal in the past, about some of the Nickel and Diming going on within the Cruise Industry. To say the least, I have not been very happy with some of the added charges of late.

However.....This is ONE of the few places, that I feel the charge is totally justified, and I do not consider this Nickel and Diming at all. Here are a few things to keep in mind.

The 30.00 per person (supposedly) does not go to the house. The money is the Gratuity for the staff in the Restaurant.

I have eaten in the restaurant twice (On Summit), and both times, it was in INCREDIBLE Dining Experience. Both the food quality and service were outstanding.

If you were to enjoy a meal of this level, in New York City, it would easily cost $ 200 or more per person.

And lastly, this is an "alternative" dining experience. If you do not want to pay the price, nobody is forcing you to. You can eat in the main dining room, and it will not cost you one penny extra.

For those of you who are sailing on a Millennium Class ship, do give this Dining Option your consideration. It is a truly wonderful experience, and I Highly recommend it.

Regards,

Andy

I know we are talking about the specialty restaurants here which are great - we've eaten in both the United States on Infinity and Normandie on Summit. I saw an earlier post about the spa charges that interests me. I've done a lot of spa stuff on board and always tip the person - usually 20% of the bill. Almost everyone I've tipped has become my new best friend. Is the gratuity included in spa services already and I'm over doing it?

Also in the Normandie there is a deck cut out print of the Normandie with a legend describing all the rooms. Any one see it? I really wanted to buy a copy (if available) for my husband cause he just loved it!

Thanks - Tracey

I know we are talking about the specialty restaurants here which are great - we've eaten in both the United States on Infinity and Normandie on Summit. I saw an earlier post about the spa charges that interests me. I've done a lot of spa stuff on board and always tip the person - usually 20% of the bill. Almost everyone I've tipped has become my new best friend. Is the gratuity included in spa services already and I'm over doing it?

Tracey- No it is not included in the prices. Wish it was! That 15-20% gratuity adds up!

Hi Bill :) Sounds like my husband and I. He gives me a bad time about being online as well!

I'm not sure if all stars are equal.

I have eaten in several US "5 star" restaurants that couldn't hold a candle to a French "2 star" restaurant. That being said, I think the specialty restaurant service is at a US "5 star" level, and the food is not quite at the that level but close. Still, it beats the dining room for freshness and taste, although not for variety.

I don't mind paying extra for the ambiance, service and better food, and will eat at the specialty restaurant every night until I get bored.

Oh, I also forgot that I prefer to linger over a good meal, so I appreciate the unrushed pace of the alternative restaurant.

All stars are most definitely not equal. The Guide Michelin only goes to three stars - one star is very good, two stars is exceptional, and three stars will only go to the absolute cream of the crop. Marketing stars as used in "5 star restaurant" just keep inflating, I've seen places (though not many) advertising seven star service, whatever that is.

Archived