Sea sickness

Mike45

Goodmorning everyone.

I have one silly question. My family has been on 2 cruises and never had trouble with sea sickness. They were smooth cruises also. We got lucky i guess. If your seasick, is it like having the flu with all the simptoms and then it's over when your in calmer seas? Or do you feel "rough" for several days after you have it. I heard it can come on fast and heard you snap back afterward too. Do the meds they have for it work?

Thanks

Lots of meds work and you see lots of people with a patch behind their ear. Me & DH have never had any seasickness so I really can't answer all your questions but realize that with medicine, they have side effects that I particularly don't want. Patches can cause blurred vision and some other stuff. Even the non-drowsy dramamine can make you sleepy. The best options I've heard without side effects is seabands or ginger tablets. Someone else can tell me if I'm wrong but that is what I understand.

Goodmorning everyone.

I have one silly question. My family has been on 2 cruises and never had trouble with sea sickness. They were smooth cruises also. We got lucky i guess. If your seasick, is it like having the flu with all the simptoms and then it's over when your in calmer seas? Or do you feel "rough" for several days after you have it. I heard it can come on fast and heard you snap back afterward too. Do the meds they have for it work?

Thanks

I usually don't get seasick, but we had really rough seas one night on the Celebrity Mercury and I struggled with some nausea. Other than that, I felt fine. So, to answer your question, I didn't have ALL the symptoms of the flu (no body aches), but that's not to say someone else won't.

BTW, I didn't take anything for it and was fine once the seas subsided.

Thanks Yukon and cruise. Sounded silly but just wondered. I hate to barf( i'm sure no one enjoys it),but can't sit back and be scared. I loved every minute of each cruise.

Try not getting so worked up about it in a advance. Just take the necessary precautions (meds if necessary), and enjoy your cruise!!

Research does indicate that there can be a psychosomatic component to motion sickness in some people, so don't obsess about it and you'll be ahead of the game. You definitely don't want the 'self-fulfilling prophecy' syndrome getting hold of you, that's for sure! ;)

OK I am a person who gets seasick just looking at a boat, lol, that being said, I have learned from here, since my first cruise, to take ginger pills, and bonine, which worked for me wonderful. Two years ago on the Glory, we had 2 nights in a row with really bad weather, the ship was rocking and rolling, half the ship was sick, not me, lol, I was in the dinning room stuffing my face. Try these, and you will be fine, start taking them 2 days before getting onboard.

Have a great cruise

Agree - Ginger tablets are the best!

To answer the original question, normally when we did get seasick (prior to learning of the wonders of Ginger!) we'd be nauseous for a while, got sick, then usually fell asleep for the rest of the evening, still feeling nauseous. We woke up good as new.

I get sea sick on small boats. Every time DH talks me into deepsea fishing but seldom on a large boat. I get nausea only. If I lay down it helps a lot. If I take a pill, usually meclazine, I feel better fairly soon. The only downside of the mec I have experienced is dry mouth. I do not take it unless I start to feel bad. I have heard some people do not find it works unless you take it before symptoms start but that is not my experience.

Do not panic about seasickness. Meclizine (Bonine) is non prescription and very effective. We have tried the patch (scopolamine) which is an anti-psychotic drug has some weird side-effects including when you stop using it you get seasick - even on land!!! This was disconcerting to say the least. The patch is not waterproof and if you wear it in the shower forget it - it will be on the floor shortly. I can honestly say that on the last cruise I only took one meclizine and that was all I really needed.

Have a wonderful trip and have Bonine ready. If you are indeed prone to motion sickness (which sea-sickness is) then take a pill the night before you cruise and then follow the directions. You will not likely get drowsy and you can have a wonderful vacation!!!

We have cruised 6 times and all but 2 have I been sick! It's well worth it for me though as I love cruising. I have tried the patch and for me, it didn't do the trick. On the other hand on our last two cruises I stock piled in Bonine and it, for me, is the wonder seasick drug!!! I don't feel a thing when these are in my system and they generally do not make me drowsy? I always have Ginger tablets as a back up too though, just in case. There is also Ginger gum tablets that you can get that work just as good. I use these on airplane rides and they are great!

As far as the type of sickness you could experience...who knows? I have had just a queasy stomach and on one cruise, by day 2 I couldn't get out of bed from the nausea. There is just something about it that either throws your system off...or it don't. Do as Bolivar said and take one prior to leaving and let it get into your system. That way you are sure to get a head start on it!

It is a nasty yucky stomach feeling.. hard to describe.. I start taking Gravol.. the day of the cruise and everyday (calm seas or not) until 2 days after and have never felt sea sick.. this was after our 1st cruise where I tried Ginger tablets.. pls note these do not work for all.. so be prepared with a back up.. the pursers desk also has Dramamine for free but it usually makes alot of people drowsy.. so if you do resort to taking that.. take it at night so it won't affect your day time activities:);)

Archived