Pride of Aloha / Norwegian Sky Steam rooms

Hello All: Considering a quick Bahamas cruise on the soon-to-be Norwegian Sky (formerly, Pride of Aloha).

A big plus for me when vacationing & relaxing on a cruise is using the steam & sauna facilities on the ships. I don't imagine they will be doing any extensive remodeling of these areas when the ship is prepped for the Bahamian cruises, so...

If you've recently sailed the Pride of Aloha and used the steam & sauna facilities, can you please describe them? Are they co-ed or segregated by gender (as they are on most other ships)?

I was on the Norwegian Sun (which I believe is a sister-ship to the Pride of Aloha) and I remember the steam & sauna being in the men's changing area, so NOT co-ed. They were slightly small, but adequate.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Gigglewolf

:p

• 3 months later...

Next bump, lol.

There must be folks out there who've sailed the Sky since her re-furb and utilized her spa facilities.

Are the saunas & steam rooms located in the respective locker rooms or are they co-ed? Steaming is a big relaxation component for me while on a cruise and depending on the shower facilities in the gym/spa locker room, I even prefer getting ready for dinner down there, versus bumping into spouse in cabin.

Much obliged!

Gigglewolf-of-the-Seas

Hi girlkitty!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I don't understand how relatively few folks on cruises use the sauna & steam facilities on this ships...especially on the lines that offer them for-free and they are SOO relaxing.

Did you travel on the ship when it was the "Aloha" or the "Sky"? How big were the steam & sauna rooms (how many would you say they each sat)?

I sailed on the Sun and, if memory serves me right, it was a plastic steam room, that sat maybe 5 or 6 VERY tightly. The sauna was a slightly bigger. Is the Sky the same?

Thanks to girlkitty and anyone else who might have answers to my questions above!

Bon voyage,

GigglewolfoftheSeas

You rock, GirlKitty!!

Thanks for sharing the info I requested. While I'm not a huge fan of the plastic, pre-fabbed steam rooms, it will do just fine.

On RCI's larger ships the steam rooms are huge and tiled, seating 12+ and the saunas seat the same number. The Voyager-class ships also offer 6 showers too.

However, I am VERY keen to experience the Thermal Suites on the Pearl. They've gotten GREAT reviews from everyone who's experienced them, even after having to pay to use them.

Cheers.

GigglewolfOfTheSeas

Yep; RCI= Royal Caribbean International.

I don't mean to hype them in the NCL thread, but since you're new to cruising, I'll break their ships down a little more...

Voyager-class (3000+ folks):

Voyager of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas

Navigator of the Seas

Mariner of the Seas

Freedom-class (4000+ folks):

Freedom of the Seas

Liberty of the Seas

Independence of the Seas

Oasis-class (5500+ folks, plus TONS more "bells & whistles"):

Oasis of the Seas

Allure of the Seas

If you travel on any of the above-mentioned ships, they each have very nice locker rooms with plenty of showers, huge steam rooms & saunas, and are free-of-charge to use.

I'm crossing my fingers that RCI will put the Voyager of the Seas on the 3/4 night cruises to the Bahamas soon, so I can sail a few times a year!

Still curious about the Norwegian Pearl & Norwegian Jade..I hear their Thermal Suites are great (even though you have to pay to use them).

Gigglewolf-Of-The-Seas

Next bump, lol.

There must be folks out there who've sailed the Sky since her re-furb and utilized her spa facilities.

Are the saunas & steam rooms located in the respective locker rooms or are they co-ed? Steaming is a big relaxation component for me while on a cruise and depending on the shower facilities in the gym/spa locker room, I even prefer getting ready for dinner down there, versus bumping into spouse in cabin.

Much obliged!

Gigglewolf-of-the-Seas

We hunted for sauna/steam rooms and did not find them when we were on in August. They show on the floor plans, but we did not find them while on board. Maybe they expanded the spa and took over the space?

There was not even a change room/shower for the gym area (that we could find, and we searched).

Mike

Thanks for that info Giggle! That explains a lot. Some of the data on these ships are so overwhelming.

The sauna is inside the spa so I think you have to ask to use them, get a key for the lockers to put your clothes in. I would have liked a jacuzzi in there. I would have only left for food, if that.

I'm the same, girlkitty...only leave for lunch, lol.

If you would have liked a jacuzzi in there then I think you'd REALLY enjoy the Norwegian Pearl or Jewel. The have the Thermal Suites which are NOT co-ed, but have a jacuzzi & cold-plunge. NCL charges a daily fee to access them, but I've repeatedly read they are SO worth it. They also give you a slight discount of the buy the Thermal Suite Access Package for the entire length of whatever cruise you happen to be on.

I'm thinking I just might have to get on the Pearl!

;)

Giggle!

So I called NCL today and the first person had no idea if they had steam rooms or saunas on the sky, they then told me to check mandara spas online to see. When I got nowhere there, I called NCL again and was told that the ship does not have saunas or steamrooms. So I am confused....can anyone help?

Just got back yesterday and did use the steam/sauna once. It was in the womens dressing/shower area so I am guessing that the mens area also has one.

I can say you probably made a very wise choice in changing to the Pearl. I sailed on the Pearl and really liked the ship & services. The Sky has some big problems with food and service. The food in the dining room and the buffet was really bad and my expectations were very low to begin with. There were also way to many kids on the Sky due to a recent kids free promotion.

Enjoy your cruise.

• 1 year later...

Yes, i go on the SKy several times a year. The steam and sauna are in the locker room inside the spa, its FREE, you hand them ur key and get a locker key. The locker room is tiny, tiny and then the next room has three small showers, a nice big sauna with tinted windows for privacy and then next to that is a med size steam room. Not my favorite compared to other ships, but its some place free to get away and relax.

Archived