Walking to beaches in St George

Lancaster

Wanting to go visit Alexander Battery and Tobaco bay and Achilles bay. Is it possible to walk from one to the other or is it too far? Which way would you suggest going? It will be myself and another friend, thanks for any help you can give me.;)

Wanting to go visit Alexander Battery and Tobaco bay and Achilles bay. Is it possible to walk from one to the other or is it too far? Which way would you suggest going? It will be myself and another friend, thanks for any help you can give me.;)

We were there last week. We walked from St. George to Tobaco bay. Maybe we were there at the wrong time, but it was awful - garbage floating in the water, on the sand, etc. (We didn't see that any where else in Bermuda) I had wanted to go to Alexander from there, (it's a bit of a walk, but not bad), instead we walked back to St. George & took a bus to Horseshoe Bay - it was beautiful. Enjoy Bermuda - wish we were back there :D

We walked from St. George to Tabaco Bay for some snorkeling. Nice walk past some interesting sites. For the trip back to the ship we hugged the coast as close as possible in a clockwise direction all the way to that tiny little passage the ship enters, right past some of the stuff you would like to see. It was a lovely walk. Bring water. The return is more than three times the walk straight thru town to Tabaco Bay. Have fun.

We walked from St. George to Tabaco Bay for some snorkeling. Nice walk past some interesting sites. For the trip back to the ship we hugged the coast as close as possible in a clockwise direction all the way to that tiny little passage the ship enters, right past some of the stuff you would like to see. It was a lovely walk. Bring water. The return is more than three times the walk straight thru town to Tabaco Bay. Have fun.

Looking st the map - it seems if you go in a clockwise direction from Tobacco Bay you would pass Fort St. Catherine. Is that correct?

OP--when are you going? I have done the walk from St. George to Tobacco Bay and the walk around the end of St. George suggested above--tell me when are you planning on doing this walk?

I would not recommend this in the summer--Bermuda is HOT--and HUMID!! The walk to and from is up and down some hills.

When we were there last, some in my group were too impatient to wait for the mini-bus ($2 or $3 each way, pp) and set out on foot, including my DH. He was GASPING and dripping wet when he arrived at St. Catherine's (just around the bend from Tobacco Bay), and he is a Letter Carrier who walks 5-7 miles per day all year long!!! I was nice enough to have an ice cold Amstel waiting for him!!

If your trip is in October, not so bad.

We were there last week. We walked from St. George to Tobaco bay. Maybe we were there at the wrong time, but it was awful - garbage floating in the water, on the sand, etc. (We didn't see that any where else in Bermuda) I had wanted to go to Alexander from there, (it's a bit of a walk, but not bad), instead we walked back to St. George & took a bus to Horseshoe Bay - it was beautiful. Enjoy Bermuda - wish we were back there :D

Hi -

I was in Bermuda three years ago - Tobacco Bay was about a 15 - 20 minute walk from the ship. It was absolutely beautiful - am returning this September and only docking in St. Georges.

If there had been a storm in the day or two before you were there it could have brought the refuse you saw on the beach, it is unusual, 'cause the folks who run that concession do keep it pretty nice. This is not a luxury resort--it's a public beach with a public restroom and changing area. No better and no worse than most public restrooms at public beaches.

If there had been a storm in the day or two before you were there it could have brought the refuse you saw on the beach, it is unusual, 'cause the folks who run that concession do keep it pretty nice. This is not a luxury resort--it's a public beach with a public restroom and changing area. No better and no worse than most public restrooms at public beaches.

I agree. Tobacco Bay was clean when we visited in early October of last year.

I love that place! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone please give me some information on the mini-bus in St. George. What sort of route is available? Fare?

In the past, my husband and I have walked from the pier to Tobacco Bay to Alexandria Battery Park and then continued on to the town square. We loved the walk, but this time we will have 4 grandchildren in tow, and I think we might be hopping on that mini-bus from time to time.

We really want to get the kids to Alexandria Battery park to hunt for sea glass. Is there a mini bus that would take us there?

Any and all info would be appreciated.

Could someone please give me some information on the mini-bus in St. George. What sort of route is available? Fare?

In the past, my husband and I have walked from the pier to Tobacco Bay to Alexandria Battery Park and then continued on to the town square. We loved the walk, but this time we will have 4 grandchildren in tow, and I think we might be hopping on that mini-bus from time to time.

We really want to get the kids to Alexandria Battery park to hunt for sea glass. Is there a mini bus that would take us there?

Any and all info would be appreciated.

take a cab its 5-6 dollars. the mini charges per person....

Archived