GRRRR...more fallout from the sick child on RCCL

crusinmama06

I do think that a mother should be as discrete as possible/reasonable because the other extreme of "Oh no, there's a nursing mother here!" is "I'll whip out my boob and feed my kid wherever I want and the heck with whether it affects others!" For example, I can understand why a grandpa might be uncomfortable if a woman he didn't know who was sitting nearby simply kept her whole breast exposed while feeding. I think that a considerate mom would take those kinds of embarassments into consideration. . . .Sorry, but there are limits to what is acceptable, IMO.

While I was always discreet when nursing my child, I don't fully agree that my idea of what is discreet and/or appropriate may be the same as everyone else's.

There is a bizarre culture bias in the US about breasts in general, and unfortunately this sometimes carries over to breast feeding. The adolescent, school-boy twittering of most US men is not the norm elsewhere and while US moms have to be discreet (or risk unwarrented attention), a mom from another culture's concept of nursing and/or being discreet while nursing is completley different.

Why, in the US, is a baby sucking on a bottle perfectly accepted, and a nursing baby is not always accepted? It is really embarrassing to me as an American that this is the case.

Why a breast must be objectified by many in this country as something which women should be ashamed of, is a sad commentary on Americans. There are many, many men in this country who think nothing at all of running around with no shirt who SHOULD be embarrassed of themselves -- and yet a nursing mother needs to be aware of one of these idiot's "comfort" when they are trying to provide nourishment to their child? Sad!

Sadly, Onessa, I share your shame. I'm not sure if that should make you feel better or worse, but Canada is full of 'schoolboys' of all ages and genders as well. It's definitely a North American phenomenon.

Celle - is it sexy to breastfeed? Not to me!! ha ha ha But I completely agree that it is incredibly fulfilling!! Not only is it the healthiest choice in most cases, but there is simply no other parent-child activity that gives you that feeling. :) I also have to admit that for the years following breastfeeding I was selfishly happy that when my daughter was distressed, she instinctively needed to be near me and my mammaries... I didn't clean up a single drop of sickness for at least five years!! :p

Of course, I also agree with the need for discretion in public. While I definitely think that North Americans have way too many hangups about the human body, I still think that reasonable desires for modesty should be respected. Again, it's about respect. Also, any baby still young enough to be breastfed (in my opinion) is going to be accompanied by a diaper bag... I always had something in mine to drape over my daughter in a pinch. Besides not wanting to make anyone else uncomfortable, I have no desire to show my body to strangers in malls or airports!

I can't even imagine not breastfeeding a baby. My sister wasn't able to, and I worried that I would have similar issues, but was very thankful I could, and it would have been a major issue for us if I couldn't. My daughter grew so much her first year, she had a growth spurt at least once a month - during which time she would nurse sometimes every half hour.:eek: It was extremely disruptive trying to do anything, but if she'd been on formula I wouldn't have been able to leave the house! It was all worth it, of course; besides the bonding, I also have a tall, strong, healthy child that rarely gets sick. It's good stuff, that breast milk!! :)

Archived