Norwegian Dream on Bermuda webcam

rge

Note, it appears that the Dawn bow is pointing towards the southwest, with the starboard side next to the pier. Next week, it could be just the opposite. Many have suggested ships "always" dock with the port side next to the King's Wharf pier.

As you can see from these photos, that's not "always" true.

Funny you would say this ... every other week so far the bow faced northeast (docked on port side) and other weeks it faced southwest (docked on starboard side).

This week it faced southwest. I'll let you know next week. Will see if it's a pattern or weather related.

I've posted this before, but look at the numbers of passengers this year vs last. Although the number of piers have or will decrease soon, and larger ships are sailing to Bermuda, the actually number of passengers is remaining approximately the same.

In prior years Bermuda had the ablity to accommodate:

two ships in St. George (~3,000 capacity),

two ships in Hamilton (~3,000 capacity), and

one ship in King's Wharf (3,500 capacity),

a total of ~9,500 passenger visitors.

Next year:

one ship in St. George (~1,500 capacity), and

two ships in King's Wharf (~7,000 capacity),

a total of ~8,500 passenger visitors.

So, although the cruise ships are getting much larger in size, the number of ships Bermuda can or will accept gets smaller, the number of passengers in Bermuda remains about the same.

Therefore, the impact to Bermuda's public infrastructure, private shops, and public beaches remains about the same.

I don't think Bermuda really cares how big the cruise ships get, they have planned well for the future, and will not get overran with tourists. I wish I could say the same for other Caribbean ports.

It's not the number of people, it's the town of St. George's - the shops there relies on cruise ships, and so does Hamilton. It's the first year Hamilton is not getting regular cruise ships and we'll see how the businesses there fared at the end of this year's cruise season. They were upset last year when the 2008 ship schedule was made known.

Both St. George's and Hamilton are accessible via narrow cut: Town Cut for St. George's and Two Rock Passage for Hamilton ....

This year's visitors to Hamilton are the upscale ships - they tend to leave money behind. But as I said, we await until the end of the cruise season to find out how Hamilton fared.

Funny you would say this ... every other week so far the bow faced northeast (docked on port side) and other weeks it faced southwest (docked on starboard side).

This week it faced southwest. I'll let you know next week. Will see if it's a pattern or weather related.

You've confirmed the ships don't dock the same way eachweek, and that was the point I was trying to make.

Bluesea777 - How humid is Bermuda right now? I'm finally starting to pack and wanted to know what to wear since the 70s isn't exactly warm but can be if it is humid. Thanks!! :D

Sorry I didn't see your post in time, so here goes - hope you packed them already ... raincoat - lightweight and breathable, light sweater for cool and DAMP nights, no jeans (too heavy to wear in high humidity, no matter how cool), and as "bdaguy" says, correct underwear.

Unfortunately the weather is rotten again here this week.

You've confirmed the ships don't dock the same way eachweek, and that was the point I was trying to make.

This week May 21-23, Dawn's bow faces northeast. So far it's pattern-related. Will report again next week.

No sooner did I book then look and see the hoopla over docking in Hamilton and some unpredictable weather. We sail 2 weeks from Sunday...hope the Dream can dock in St. Georges and look forward to hearing feedback from those out there now when they get home!

5/18/2008 sailing went to Hamilton. The winds were too high for us to get into Town Cut per the Captain so we were diverted and that decision was made at Monday Noon and announced to the ship so people had some time to make arrangements and the shore excursion department could do their thing for people who booked tours. If the winds in Bermuda are more than 10 to 15 knots steady then the ship will sail to Hamilton. It was quite windy on our way down and the wind continued until Friday morning. It was mostly cloudy the whole week too with the exception of Friday.

I was on it and loved docking in Hamilton. St Georges rolls up after sun down and there isn't a heck of a lot to do. In Hamilton there's so much more to do (since the NCL Dream doesn't have anything exciting happening onboard during the nights they're docked in Bermuda).

This week May 21-23, Dawn's bow faces northeast. So far it's pattern-related. Will report again next week.

Hi all, this week May 28-30 Dawn's bow faces northeast again. Weather been great this week, and sea calm.

Hi,

If interested, see our DREAM review & Helpful Tips. It's posted under

Member Reviews".

One thing that I neglected to mention, with all my talk about snorkeling, was that we did not have any kind of wet suits.Truthfully, even with only 72 degree water temperature and overcast sky, we snorkeled for hours, we did not need them. As stated, until one got totally in the water, the initial jolt was tough. It was cold but once in, we snorkeled every day for 1 -2 hours at a time. Have fun, Louella

Archived