Pacific Sun 3-10 May review Part1

The day had arrived.

I had been feeling horribly guilty all week leading up to this cruise as I had booked it on a whim as the fare was so cheap- and we were sailing without the 2 girls.

It seemed a good idea at the time of booking- then it hit me as we got closer.

DH was up early and excited to leave the house. My mother in law had come to stay and mind the girls.I virtually had to be forced out the front door into the car.

Miss 4 wasnt sad and miss 16 certainly wasnt either!

We drove to Portside and arrived about 9.45am.

Parked the car underneath (saved $100 doing this) and began the check-in process.

All very quick as we had vip express check-in from our favourite Portside TA.

On the Ship by 11.10 am and found our cabin M8.I was feeling happier now!

I loved this cabin- front left hand side, Porthole and plenty of room for 2.

Lunch was already being served by this time so we went and ate in the buffet then toured around the ship,I had only ever been on Pacific Star, but they were prety much identical really.

The life jacket drill was at 2.15 and must of taken longer as when we finished and raced up top the boat was already pulling away and the horn blew!

Waved to all at Portside who were there to see us off and I started my mission to find Scuzie and family- She joined my lonesome rollcall a week or 2 before we sailed.

Mission completed- she had told me her teen son was a punk- so I found him (not hard with his hair all sticking up in spikes) and then he showed me the way to her and DH Dezzie.We hit it off immediately, and spent alot of time with them during the cruise.The are such fun people, and so alike Dh and I.

We were up top sailing through Moreton Bay, then about 5.30pm the captain announces we have slowed down as there is problems with the ship.We moved out of the shipping channel and they told us it was a broken head and they had a replacement and it would be fixed within a couple of hours.

Do you think any one believed him?????

We had dinner and met our table of 6 girls - also great company- and all thought we would be heading back to Brissie.Champers and drinks a flowing, we made the most of what we thought would be our only night on the ship!!

We all continued to the show which was Ugly Dave Gray and Daniel Mallari-a singer.

Ugly Dave was pretty funny but I dont think his jokes have changed over the past 30 years!!!

After the show-about 9.30 we realised we were still stuck- so off to karaoke we all went and A lot more champagnes later- I had table 61 up singing Meatloafs Parradise by the dashboard light.(I only sing this great song when Ive had a few!!!!

We must have been crap cause we never got a call back for the next round (It was a competition)- but it was fun.

I think it was about 11.30pm when we finally realised we were moving.

Yeh we were on our way- I found Scuzie and Dezzie and we had a drink at the outback bar- and then ended up in the Terraces Lounge where I found my DH and Dezzie drinking with Baby John Burgess!!!!!

He was on the ship as a passenger with 2 other guys from the radio station in Melbourne where they work.We all chatted and drank some more and baby John even shouted us all a drink.I grabbed the camera out so I could show my mum I had met him-She use to love him!!

I think we ended back in the cabin at 2.30am after a fun and entertaining night out.

Dont get the wrong idea- we dont normally drink so much and stay out till all hours but cause of the circumstances with breaking down- the whole ship just seemed to be in Party mode.(Plus we met some great people who we will keep in touch with)

No- I wasnt hung over the next day, and I certainly didnt drink as much for the rest of the cruise, but we were all given $50pp onboard credit for our 5 hr delay- which went on the horribly massive bar tab we had accumulated the night before!!!!!(OH Well- all in good fun)

Our captain was JUSTIN LAWES and this was his first time on Pacific Sun.He came from the Emerald Princess and has worked on QE11

What a lovely guy, Friendly and he also came out and mixed with the passengers.

I also met Demo, who was also great.

He is having leave after the next cruise.

Part 2 soon!!!

Great review so far! Wow I thought both those guys had died long ago UDG and BJB.

Icy

Mmmm- some would say they look it!!! ;)

It was a fun cruise- cruising along :D :)

You notice the difference when you cruise out of school holiday time and take no kids.

Our Pacific Star cruise in school holiday time had over 400 kids on board.

This one only had just over 100!

I have told the girls the next one will be during school time.

Top review, thank you!

Ugly Dave Grey's jokes are so old and he has told them so many times, he will remember them even when he looses his memory!:D

He is still a funny bloke, he used to work with my uncle {Tony the moustache twirler the producer of Blankety Blanks}.

Hope he is on our cruise as he is a top bloke.

The day had arrived.

Parked the car underneath (saved $100 doing this) and began the check-in process.

Are you suggesting that if you go on a cruise you can park here for free? Are there any special conditions?

Are you suggesting that if you go on a cruise you can park here for free? Are there any special conditions?

We have done this twice now.We have had no probs.

Another couplle on our cruise did the same.

This is interesting. I know we are talking about Brisbane, but there is a large parking area at Darling Harbour in Sydney too. You can park your car to drop off your stuff, but can you leave your car there for the duration of the cruise?

Has anyone done this? We have used Wilsons Parking, but they charge $14.00 per day. This is still good and cheaper than a shuttle from Newcastle, but not as good as 'free'. :)

The signs in the carpark clearly state that the basement carpark at Portiside is for short term parking only, unless you're a resident with access to the seperate, secure, parking area.

I'd be careful because if too many cars start parking there for 7-10 days at a time, they'll quickly start enforcing the parking conditions and towing cars away, which would then make for a much more expensive parking bill.

I also wouldn't consider the carpark to be very secure either.

Archived