Westerdam Aft Cabins

tapia

Westerdam Aft Cabins

I was thinking of booking the Westerdam for an Alaska sailing this summer and was ASTONISHED when I saw there were aft cabins available. I tried to navigate through a lot of the HAL pages since this would be my first HAL cruise and use the search feature to search out afts, but it's down.

I did find people mentioning something about an 'aft lift' of the Westerdam recently. What is this?

I LOVE the aft cabins. Should I still be attempting to book one of them? Are the balconies still larger than the others? Are they all covered? Is one VA better than another?

I'm mostly looking at the VAs, but would consider an SB if the price was right (it doesn't seem it is).

Thank you everyone for your help!

Hi again. Sorry to bump my own post, but after scrolling through lots of the pages, I came across what I think to be the aft-lift:

It looks like they pushed back cabins on deck 6,7,8 so there's left aft space there. Then they completely covered 5.

So, if I don't want to go down to deck 4 (the only deck that actually is as it was before) and I don't want the "tunnel" of 5, are decks 6, 7, & 8 exactly the same?

Are the things I said above correct?

Thank you!

You're pretty much right - and good for you for "doing your homework":D - except that deck 8 is largely covered by the aft pool area on the Lido deck, so if you want sun, you don't want that one either - plus some people complain about noise on that deck from deck chair movement overhead, though that might not be much of an issue on an Alaska cruise.

Westerdam is a lovely ship - enjoy!

So, I'm best off in 7 then? I'd go for 8 normally since I don't think the deck chairs would be a problem w/Alaska, but NO sun at all is kind of sad....

Are 6, 7, & 8 the same size?

I wouldn't worry about "tunnel" on 5. Although it's covered (so were you looking for lots of tanning days on your Alaska trip???)...it's GREAT. Very private. No one can view your verandah like on other levels. And there is a lot of sunshine coming in depending on your location. We were on level 5 aft recently...and loved it...and in fact...booked the cabin next to our recent cabin for our Janurary '09 cruise. The verandah is large...and has nicer chairs than on lower decks. We had two chaises...teak (and not the plastic type on level four)...two chairs, and ottaman (can be used as a table) and a small round table. Lots of room. Even in the Caribbean...I would select level 5. we get enough sun during the cruise...and at my age...I don't need the sun to make me look older! if sun is your thing...then level 5 is NOT for you.

If privacy is for you, then I would select level 5. Remember...the view is the same regardless of the level...we look at the wake. It's the most restful/appealing to me...that's why I select an aft cabin. I really don't care about sun exposure...get enough of that. I want privacy...and 5 aft on the Westy provides that for me! You need to select the cabin that satisfies your primary needs for having a great cruise. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages...depending on YOUR expectations. If you want people looking down at you while you are enjoying your verandah...then DO NOT book level 5.

Have a great cruise...

I have a further question about the aft balconies. In viewing some of the stateroom pictures, it looks like the panels on the balconies are "see through". Is that the case with the aft balcony panels as well? I like the idea so that when you're sitting down, you can still see the water. On Royal Caribbean, the panels were solid so you had to stand up and go to the rail to really see the water properly.

Thank you everyone for the responses!

Can I ask why SC is more inexpensive than the VAs? I see than an SC corner aft is available on deck 4. Should I grab it up?

Thank you!

We had an SC aft last year on the Westerdam and we loved it. Deck 5 is covered, but during certain times of the day you can get some sun. The balcony is HUGE. We had two chaises, two chairs with ottomans and a medium sized table with 4 chairs and still had plenty of room. You have a side balcony as well as a aft. The rooms in the aft SB and SC's are a bit smaller than the side SB's and the SA's. The balconies on deck 4 &5 are bigger than 6,7,& 8. They were kept their original size. The Sc's on deck 4 are part covered as well as decks 6,7 & 8.

Our deck 5 SC also protected us from the wind and rain although it can still get wet in places depending on how much it rains.

The VA balconies have a lounger too. They are also covered being on deck 5.

Hope this helps.

We had an SC aft last year on the Westerdam and we loved it. Deck 5 is covered, but during certain times of the day you can get some sun. The balcony is HUGE. We had two chaises, two chairs with ottomans and a medium sized table with 4 chairs and still had plenty of room. You have a side balcony as well as a aft. The rooms in the aft SB and SC's are a bit smaller than the side SB's and the SA's. The balconies on deck 4 &5 are bigger than 6,7,& 8. They were kept their original size. The Sc's on deck 4 are part covered as well as decks 6,7 & 8.

Our deck 5 SC also protected us from the wind and rain although it can still get wet in places depending on how much it rains.

The VA balconies have a lounger too. They are also covered being on deck 5.

Hope this helps.

Thank you SO much, that was the info I was looking for! It's so weird that those are cheaper than the VAs! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

My TA has SB 7142 corner aft on the Westerdam on the Rotterdam deck on hold for me. Anyone been in it? Is it large, completely covered?

Since the aft lift, it's not quite as large as the ones on decks 4 and 5, but it still has that nice wraparound aspect; the cabin itself is larger than the corner afts on 4 and 5 (I think); and the deck 7 location is great. It's part covered, part not.

I have a further question about the aft balconies. In viewing some of the stateroom pictures, it looks like the panels on the balconies are "see through". Is that the case with the aft balcony panels as well? ...

Yes, the balcony panels are transparent - lightly tinted - I think plexiglass - with a teak rail above. For photos, go to: http://www.flickr.com/photos/oh-to-be-at-sea

Do the aft corners on Deck 7 have any covering for privacy?

Partly covered, so you get some shade, but I wouldn't count on doing anything out there that you wouldn't want your mother to see! :D

Partly covered, so you get some shade, but I wouldn't count on doing anything out there that you wouldn't want your mother to see! :D

LOL! With all I'm hearing about shipboard cameras (woman overboard story) I'm not about to engage in such activities on the balcony. Can you imagine seeing THAT show up in the week's DVD? :eek: :D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...
Westerdam Aft Cabins

I was thinking of booking the Westerdam for an Alaska sailing this summer and was ASTONISHED when I saw there were aft cabins available. I tried to navigate through a lot of the HAL pages since this would be my first HAL cruise and use the search feature to search out afts, but it's down.

I did find people mentioning something about an 'aft lift' of the Westerdam recently. What is this?

I LOVE the aft cabins. Should I still be attempting to book one of them? Are the balconies still larger than the others? Are they all covered? Is one VA better than another?

Many of these aft cabins are HANDICAPPED cabins and should not be booked by people who are able-bodied or who have only minor injuries (until perhaps after final payment date and HAL releases the cabins). That is not their intended use.

Look at the legend for the cabin you are interested in, and if it has an icon that indicates that it is for the handicapped, kindly DO NOT BOOK THE CABIN. You might want to read through some remarks in the special interest area of Cruise Critic. It's really difficult enough for these people to get around, let alone have those with aft-cabin-fetishes snap up these cabins.

This is a photo of the SC corner on Deck 5 on the Westerdam. Have not stayed there yet but will in December :)

That photo makes me sad - I attended a lovely cocktail party on the corresponding verandah aboard Oosterdam one afternoon in the Gulf of Alaska, where we all enjoyed the sun...

I was going to book an aft on the Westerdam for the Alaska cruise next summer, however, the kind folks here said to book a port side balcony since the ship will stay in Glacier Bay for awhile and will sit looking forward at the Glacier and the port side of the Glacier. Unless I hear differently I am planning to follow their advice and forego the aft balcony.

Many of these aft cabins are HANDICAPPED cabins and should not be booked by people who are able-bodied or who have only minor injuries (until perhaps after final payment date and HAL releases the cabins). That is not their intended use.

Look at the legend for the cabin you are interested in, and if it has an icon that indicates that it is for the handicapped, kindly DO NOT BOOK THE CABIN. You might want to read through some remarks in the special interest area of Cruise Critic. It's really difficult enough for these people to get around, let alone have those with aft-cabin-fetishes snap up these cabins.

As a strong supporter of ADA, I totally agree with you that non-disabled persons should NOT book disabled staterooms.

However, looking at the deck plans for all 5 decks with aft staterooms, I see there are not "many" staterooms fitted for disabled (as you mistakenly state); there are only TWO AFT staterooms -- on ONE DECK only (SC6164 and SC6175). The remaining 36 aft staterooms (VAs and SCs) are NOT fitted for disabled, so anyone in a wheelchair or mobility device would not be able to use them easily. Thus, many non-disabled passengers are discussing and considering these aft staterooms.

On the other hand, many of the "angled" staterooms at the bump-outs ARE listed as disabled. Perhaps that is what you meant to reference (rather than aft staterooms, which are on the stern)...??

I hope this sets the record straight regarding those of us with what you unkindly and unfairly (and incorrectly) have referred to as individuals with "aft-cabin-fetishes."

A cruiser with a PREFERENCE for aft NON-disabled staterooms,

Mary-Lou

"Dr. FUN"

:)

That photo makes me sad - I attended a lovely cocktail party on the corresponding verandah aboard Oosterdam one afternoon in the Gulf of Alaska, where we all enjoyed the sun...

Hi Brian,

I understand... a lot of people loved the full sun. We enjoy the sun on beaches but prefer to relax with limited sun on the balcony. We had a full sun suite on the aft of a couple of other ships (in Caribbean) and we couldn't take the heat after a while. Easier on the eyes reading my latest sea day books, too! Alaska's temps would be a different story

I understand there is still some sun on the Deck 5 corners depending on the direction of the ship and sun location.

Just so you are aware, I was NOT interested in booking a handicapt cabin and I resent the fact that you think this was my attention. Please do not judge all the way some people act.

there are only TWO AFT staterooms -- on ONE DECK only (SC6164 and SC6175). The remaining 36 aft staterooms (VAs and SCs) are NOT fitted for disabled, so anyone in a wheelchair or mobility device would not be able to use them easily. Thus, many non-disabled passengers are discussing and considering these aft staterooms.

A cruise vacation planner at HAL told my niece that several of the aft CORNER cabins were for handicapped or disabled (the word "wheelchair" was not used") and that they were marked with little "o"'s. I took that to be true. That was some time ago.

After digging out a HAL brochure just now and looking at the deck plan and its corresponding legend for the OOSTERDAM with my reading glasses on, I was aghast to see that the little "o"'s indicate the cabin is a QUAD cabin and that there is no mention of specialty equipment in the cabin.

I hope this sets the record straight regarding those of us with what you unkindly and unfairly (and incorrectly) have referred to as individuals with "aft-cabin-fetishes.")

Yes and no. It sets the record straight that the aft CORNER cabins are not set aside for handicapped as I had heard, that there is not even one aft corner cabin for handicapped (shame on HAL that there isn't). I made a mistake about that, apparently.

It does appear these cabins (with the little "o"'s) are intended for more than two per cabin, however. The larger balconies with more furniture would be very nice for families, don't you think? I don't know HAL's policy with regard to how many people they want in cabins with quad occupancy, but I do know that Celebrity tries to set aside their own much-coveted "FV" aft corner cabins for families and often absolutely has refused to book them for couples, except in certain cases such as close to sail date, long trans-Atlantics where families are not expected, etc.

Either way, I do feel that some people have a fetish (fetishes are not only sexual in nature) for aft cabins, etc. (Please, anyone else reading this know that I am not talking about YOU, but the professional self-promoter recognized herself in my comments and that's why it stung her.)

Since I did not direct my comments to anyone in particular, and had the best interest of the disabled at heart, I don't feel I was the least bit unkind.

You, on the other hand, directed your wrath at me personally. To that, I take offense. It was intentional by you.

No fun at all, Mary Lou. :(

Archived