Emerald Lake drive - Border crossing questions

curry767

Hey Guys,

For the life of me I couldn't find answer to these questions on the board, so please excuse me if I missed them.

We are doing the rental car thing out of Skagway and I was hoping to have all the forms sorted before we get to the border (being an Aussie I know that we will need to fill out forms). I would like to know if the forms required to filled out are the same as the ones we will fill out when driving from Seattle to Vancouver? If so I will just get more forms when we drive from Seattle. Also on the return trip across the border (back into the US) will the forms be the same as when I fly into the US from Australia?

Can I also ask about money used across in Canada, is the US$ readily taken or is best to have the loonie?

Cheers

Curry

We used US$ when we drove into the Yukon with no problems. We also used our credit card in Carcross. I can't answer your other question since all we had to do when we crossed into Canada and back into the US was show our passports. As you can see, we live in the US.

You only fill out the Customs/Immigration forms once, then they're good for the duration of your entire trip. A form (I-94 I believe) is stapled to your passport until you leave the country for good. So the Skagway border crossings will be quick and simple. And US cash is accepted everywhere in Carcross - I don't know yet if anybody is doing and exchange rate, though some have a separate US$ register.

I can't speak for OZ/US/CDN immigration issues but you won't have any problems using the greenbaack over the loonie; today they were pretty much par with one another and Yukon merchants are quite used of accepting it.

Hey Guys,

For the life of me I couldn't find answer to these questions on the board, so please excuse me if I missed them.

We are doing the rental car thing out of Skagway and I was hoping to have all the forms sorted before we get to the border (being an Aussie I know that we will need to fill out forms). I would like to know if the forms required to filled out are the same as the ones we will fill out when driving from Seattle to Vancouver? If so I will just get more forms when we drive from Seattle. Also on the return trip across the border (back into the US) will the forms be the same as when I fly into the US from Australia?

Can I also ask about money used across in Canada, is the US$ readily taken or is best to have the loonie?

Cheers

Curry

If you haven't done so already, make sure the Rental Car Agency will allow you to take the vehicle across the border, some do have restrictions.

If you haven't done so already, make sure the Rental Car Agency will allow you to take the vehicle across the border, some do have restrictions.

The only people who can't take a Skagway rental car across the border are Canadians.

The only people who can't take a Skagway rental car across the border are Canadians.

Most large Car Rental Companies allow this, there are exceptions, as I said in my previous post.

Most of the well-known national car rental companies allow you to drive freely into most of the US states and Canadian provinces.

However, some car rental companies may impose a restriction on which states, provinces and territories their cars can be driven into. For example you may be limited to driving in the state or province where the car was picked up and those immediately adjacent to it. Small local companies are far more likely to impose these restrictions than the well known national companies, and the restriction may be quite reasonably based on the problems a small company would have in supporting you should you encounter problems with the car a long way from their nearest depot.

Also, some car rental companies, especially small local companies, may impose a restriction against their cars being taken from the USA into Canada or vice-versa. The only well-known national company that we have heard of with possible problems in this regard is Dollar.

http://www.johncletheroe.org/usa_can/carhire/restrict.htm

Somewhat related question: is Avis willing to pick you up from the pier, or do you have to take a cab to the car rental place, or is it walking distance, or...? I'd think there would be enough people renting cars that sending a shuttle out to meet the ship would be worthwhile, but I dunno.

Somewhat related question: is Avis willing to pick you up from the pier, or do you have to take a cab to the car rental place, or is it walking distance, or...? I'd think there would be enough people renting cars that sending a shuttle out to meet the ship would be worthwhile, but I dunno.

A lot depends on where you are docked. Princess ships are docked further from downtown than the other ships. There was a local shuttle that would take you into town. It was just a few dollars. One person could take the shuttle to town and get the car then drive back to pick up the other pax. If the weather is nice, it isn't a bad walk. Walking back seemed a lot longer.:D

Thanks, Judy! With 3 kids (and 2 carseats) that's probably what we'll do. One more question: about how long does it take to return the car and get back safely? I *don't* want to be standing on the dock, waving as the ship recedes into the distance. Conversely, we don't want to cut the day short out of paranoia, either.

Thanks, Judy! With 3 kids (and 2 carseats) that's probably what we'll do. One more question: about how long does it take to return the car and get back safely? I *don't* want to be standing on the dock, waving as the ship recedes into the distance. Conversely, we don't want to cut the day short out of paranoia, either.

Let the driver drop you and the kids off at the ship and then return the car. This is what my DH did for me and the couple with us. You will have to fill up with gas before dropping the car off and there is only one gas station. You might not want to push it too close to sail time. My DH said that returning the car was quick and easy and he took the shuttle back to the ship. In all honesty, we were all so tired by the time we got back from the drive that we just shopped a little and went back to the ship. It was a long day. We were back on the ship before 5 PM.

Archived