NCL sale or wait for FL res rates for DCL

lagbunch8

I have 2 inside cabins(8 people) on hold for a 4 night out of Miami on the NCL Sky for 9/1/08 for $1539.20--total. Should I give them a try or wait for the FL res rates for DCL? We love DCL but, the NCL sale is pretty huge. Any feedback about NCL? I have heard mixed things. So far one negative about the NCL cruise is that we would have to drive to Miami (we live in central FL). Also, no sea days. Since it's not DCL that may not be a bad thing lol. I have to decide by tonight HELP!:eek:

kids ages are 13, 12, 10, 9, 6 & 6

The one complaint I've heard over and over about NCL is the inability for those not in upper level cabins to dine at any of the better restaurants. Reservations are booked up by the suites and such due to the way they run the "Freestyle" program. It's really the only thing I've heard repeated complaints about on NCL, but it would be a major concern for me, as dining is a big part of the equation for us.

On the other hand, there's no guarantee that DCL will offer FL Resident Rates on any sailings you are able to go on, or the savings might not be as substantial as they have been in the past, or even on the cabin level you're looking for.

Here's how I would look at it--are you willing to take a cruise on yet another line if you cancel the hold on NCL and DCL doesn't come through? Last minute savings are usually available on Carnival and RCCL on Florida sailings. If so, then I'd hold out for DCL. If not, as the old saying goes, a bird in the hand...

Good luck and have a great cruise whatever you decide!

Wow! Thanks for posting this. I had no idea that DCL ever offered FL resident rates. I'll have to keep my eyes open for this. We use the Florida resident rates frequently at the parks and resorts.

If you don't like the current DCL rate, I guess you are better off looking at NCL or RCL Majesty of the Seas. NCL sale does sound great for a family with a lot of kids. You cannot count on FL resident rate. I sailed 3 day, 4 day and 7 day sails in Sept and only got it on the 3 day. Maybe you could look back at past offerings somewhere and confirm but this is how I believe they have been handling Sept sailings. Price competitively, offer 3 night sails to FL residents if they aren't full a couple months out, and CM discounts at the last minute as needed for 4 night and 7 night sails.

I wasn't expecting a FL resident on the 7 night but hoped since it was in Sept, I could at least upgrade at the port to a verandah room (booked cat 8 to be as close to veradah room as possible for possible upgrade, no dice). About a month or so out there were many cat 5's and 6's avail so I was sure there would be just one available on this offseason sail. Suddenly, there was no availability on line. I was first in line at the port but there wasn't a single cat 5 or 6 avail. Spoke to a CM on the cruise that said they knew the sailing would open up to them and they were just waiting for it to become available. I believe it sold out very quickly to them once it became available.

So, ships sail pretty full, even in off season, you just might have a different mix of kids to adults. FL resident rates on 4 and 7 night sails seem to spring up in other months besides Sept. Maybe Disney wants to encourage CMs to use there time off on a DCL cruise when the parks are slow? Not sure, but CMs can offer it to family members too so really, don't count on a FL resident rate, DCL doesn't "need" it. A FL resident rate requires them to reduce prices on currently booked FL pax, CM discount does not and will fill the ship. If the offseason rate seems fair and its what you want to do, book it and hope for a FL resident rate, that's what I've done. But I booked early and thought the offseason rate was reasonable to start with, at least if I didn't need a verandah.

I am still not sure what I am going to do yet but, your imput has given me more to think about. RCCL has some res rates but, a 4 night would still be $665 more. That one leaves out of Pt Canaveral too. With the gas prices(that is labor day weekend too) it might be worth paying the extra rather than driving to Miami. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

We are booked on the Sky too (Kids sail free promotion)..DCL rates are not going to come close on this IMO...Book NCL and do DCL next year..thats what we did..;)

Archived