Trans Atlantic Weather April/May??

wjl

We just finished a Southern Crossing (Florida to Barcelona) and the weather was wonderful - sunny every day and low 70s. See the attached photo.

This is our only TA but talking to other people on the cruise it does matter if you do a northern or southern crossing.

1014769246_AftWake.jpg.0569d7389ecfb5902ed38b9205892350.jpg

We just finished a Southern Crossing (Florida to Barcelona) and the weather was wonderful - sunny every day and low 70s. See the attached photo.

This is our only TA but talking to other people on the cruise it does matter if you do a northern or southern crossing.

Boy, you could not have asked for calmer seas. Awesome picture, thanks.

We crossed this year in late March/early April from San Juan, PR over to the Azores, then up through Spain and France and on to Southhampton.

The seas were very rough ... 20 feet for at least a full day, 14 feet for a couple more. It was quite chilly and super windy. Once we hit the continent it was cold. That said, the ship's officers we spoke to said that the seas were unusually rough. They normally don't experience seas like that.

Even though it wasn't a sun-soaked sailing we would absolutely do it again! If you cross at that time of year be sure to check the forecasts for your destinations, and bring clothes suitable for layering. We went from 85 and sunny to 32 and squally. I really felt for the women who packed only capri pants, they weren't too comfortable on excursions!

We were also on the Summit's TA this spring- our 1st TA- and we thoroughly loved it.

I thought the highest waves we had were 12-15 feet, but they did last for 2-3 days.

Can't wait to do another one, but I'd like to try a fall westbound sailing in order to experience 25 hour days instead of the 23 hour days when sailing east.

Loved, loved, loved all the sea days...

happy sailing,

wendy

My experience has been that off the coast of the US, seas are generally calmer in late April/early May. Then, as May progresses things get breezy as the season change sets in. This persists until June when it is just plain hot. Toward the middle Atlantic and moving eastward this also holds, just beware of systems spinning up from the lower maritimes that throw the monkey in the whole wrench. Once I figure out the weather exactly I'll be making a fortune doing that and picking lottery numbers.;)

We were also on the Summit's TA this spring- our 1st TA- and we thoroughly loved it.

I thought the highest waves we had were 12-15 feet, but they did last for 2-3 days.

Can't wait to do another one, but I'd like to try a fall westbound sailing in order to experience 25 hour days instead of the 23 hour days when sailing east.

Loved, loved, loved all the sea days...

happy sailing,

wendy

Wendy,

I took my numbers from the Captain's mid-day address. He said 12-14 two days, and 14-20 at least one day. We took movies off the balcony to show the unbelievable movement ... Whatever they were, I was really glad to have my scopolomine patch!

Archived