San Diego Hotel for cruise?

no sinking

Any suggestions for hotels in San Diego prior to cruise?

Is the Holiday Inn on the Bay really all that???

:) :) :) :)

The "all that" about the Holiday Inn on the Bay, IMO, is that it is located DIRECTLY across the street from the cruise ship terminal. Hubby and I literally walked across the street with our rolling luggage in tow.

This was the view when we walked out the front lobby door of the hotel on the morning of our cruise:

TheSpiritatSanDiegoPort12-10-05B.jpg

Other than that, it's just a nice hotel, I guess. But that's all we ask for, anyway.

Well if you want to pay more you can check out the San Diego Marriot Hotel and Marina, not far from the Terminal: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/sandt-san-diego-marriott-hotel-and-marina/

This one will run you 280.00 - 310.00 for 1 night.

This hotel is all that.

Fred

Well if you want to pay more you can check out the San Diego Marriot Hotel and Marina, not far from the Terminal: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/sandt-san-diego-marriott-hotel-and-marina/

This one will run you 280.00 - 310.00 for 1 night.

This hotel is all that.

Fred

Have to agree with Wennfred. The Marriot is REALLY nice. As is the Hyatt next door. Pricey though. The Westin and W in the Gaslamp are also very very nice.

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn at the Bay twice. It is LITERALLY across the street from the ship. In the glass elevators on the hotel you can see people walking on the deck in the morning.

However, I have found it to be old and loud. The train runs right behind the hotel at all hours of the night and the walls are thin. Downtown San Diego is not all that big. Any of the city hotels will be a short walk (or cab ride with Bags) to the ship.

Have to agree with Wennfred. The Marriot is REALLY nice. As is the Hyatt next door. Pricey though.

We stayed at the Hyatt before our Hawaii cruise last month. We got the room by bidding on Priceline for $96. It was cheaper than the best rate we could find for the Holiday Inn.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Bay last month. Our room had a view facing their pool but with a slice of the bay so we could see the top of the Elation. Noise? What noise? We were only there one night and found it suited our needs. They run a free shuttle to Horton Plaza, Seaport Village, and the Zoo. We walked to SV and back, no problem. The walk to the ship was about five minutes because I'm a slow walker and we had to wait for the light to change to cross the street. We'd happily stay there again.

The one thing we didn't do is take Carnival's transfers for the ship which we normally do at other ports. There's a free shuttle from airport to this hotel. When we got off the ship we found a line of taxis waiting. Our ride to the airport (three people) was $8.40 plus tip. Carnival wanted $16/per person.

If only every port in the U.S. was like San Diego!

San Diego is about as easy as it gets for travel....

First the airport sits right in downtown, like 2 miles up the road. Getting to any downtown hotel ( Holiday Inn, Hyatt, marriott, or any of the gaslamp hotels such as Hardrock or Hilton) will cost you about $10

They are all within walking distance to many of the area attractions.

Holiday Inn is closest to the ship terminal.

Ive stayed at the Hilton, Marriott and just a few weeks ago the Hyatt.

All three will run you on avg $250-350 night ( that priceline deal was amazing!) from any of those you will spend about $7-8 for a taxi. I have no idea how the Holiday Inn compares price wise but it appears to be an average hotel for just a one night stay. You money would be better spent at one of the fantastic restaurants in the gaslamp!

Fly in early the day before so that you can site see...SD is a fantastic city that is super easy to get around in, the trolly and bus system are cake. Midway and Seaport Village are right next to the ship area.

Have fun!

This is the Sheraton Hotel and Marina, its across the street from the Airport and had a beautiful view of the bay. It sits on Harbor Island.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=127&ES=DEST_SHERATONSD_PP_SI_127_SoCal

Sheraton

she127ex.41539_md.jpg

na127ex10_md.jpg

And this one is the Hilton it also sits not far from the Sheraton on Harbor Island with a beautiful view of the bay as well:

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/SANAHHF/index.do

From this picture you can see the Cruise Terminal across the bay:

Hilton

SANAHHF_Hilton_San_Diego_Airport_Harbor_Island_gallery_welcome.jpg

SANAHHF_Hilton_San_Diego_Airport_Harbor_Island_gallery_accom_viewfromroom1_large.jpg

SANAHHF_Hilton_San_Diego_Airport_Harbor_Island_gallery_leisure_pool_large.jpg

Fred

It's right there and you can watch your ship come in in the morning/night and then walk over when time to board. Why would anyone stay anywhere else?

My dh & I stayed at the Holiday Inn Bayside last October. We were there for 2 nights before our cruise & didn't hear any noise. We were on the front/facing the Bay, so perhaps hearing the train, etc isn't as likely there. The view is awesome & I literally stood on our balcony & saw people walking around on the ships that were in port before ours arrived. Looking in the opposite direction, we could see the planes arriving/departing from the airport.

It is just a regular hotel, but we enjoyed our stay there & would choose it again if given the opportunity to visit San Diego again.

Towanda

Another Amazing thing about San Diego besides the Close airport and Hotels ...the Food is Fantastic....Right across from the Holiday Inn and next door to the Docks is Anthonys Fish Grotto.....In my opinon one of the best deals around that area..food is great and you will have a ocean view from any table inside....here is the link and the menu...try the Fish and Chips there great!

http://www.gofishanthonys.com/grotto.html

Plus the Gaslamp district is close and they have what ever your heart desires.......

I have to agree with Fred, Marriott which sits between Seaport Village and the Convention center, IS ALL that. Also Sheraton Harbor Island, nearer the airport is wonderful too. I have never stayed at the Hyatt, though it is am awesome place for drinks or fireworks!

There is also a boutique-y Hilton in Gaslamp Quarter, just across the street from the Convention center. Hard Rock Hotel is also down there in Gaslamp.

There is also an Embassy Suites that is located just down the street from the Ships Dock, and right across the street from Seaport village.

And if you want to get REALLY fancy the Hotel Del, and the Loews Coronado are a short sea taxi ride across the bay.

Hope you all love San Diego as much as I do... it is a beautiful city.

Nancy

THe other "all that" at the Holiday Inn on the Bay .. was that we got up early and literally stood on our balcony and watched "OUR" ship dock .. I loved it so much .. I will be back there in Oct to get on the next ship that I can watch Dock

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Bayside (not Holiday Inn at the Bay) The price difference was significant and they have a free shuttle to the cruise port. It is 3 miles north of the port but we were treated very well and I highly recommend this hotel. You can't see the ship, but hey we paid $80 less per night and that included parking our car for 9 days at no extra charge.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Bayside (not Holiday Inn at the Bay) The price difference was significant and they have a free shuttle to the cruise port. It is 3 miles north of the port but we were treated very well and I highly recommend this hotel. You can't see the ship, but hey we paid $80 less per night and that included parking our car for 9 days at no extra charge.

Yes, I was going to point out that there is frequent confusion between the "Holiday Inn on the Bay" and the "Holiday Inn Bayside". I stayed at the one on the Bay and was very glad it was across the street from the ship because it was during one of last January's storms and the weather was miserable. As you say, the Bayside is supposed to be just fine.

Archived