Self Guided Tour of Acropolis in Athens?

We have retained Athens Taxi for a tour of Athens in early July, but since they are not official guides they cannot tour us within the Acropolis. It does not seem to make economic sense to hire a guide there for an additional 220 eu for the Acropolis and the museum. Are books or audio guides available to that we can tour the Parthenon ourselves in a knowledgeable way?

We made our own tour guide up from various snippets of information including walking paths etc. before the cruise and used it to guide us along. Really enjoyed the Acropolis and very happy we made the decision to go straight there -- it got very crowded later. One important note is the necessity of good footware; some sections of the upper path are very slippery. The taxi will let you off just a short walk from the Ticket Kiosk. Independent guides were trying to sell their services the day we went.

Review and photos our our Med. cruise in the links below.

Have a wonderful time.

Kathy

tomko2 - great idea to make your own guide! I've done a similar thing for some of the places we've visited. Would you share? If it's in a form that you can post here, lots could benefit from it. Or let me know if you need my email for direct delivery. Thanks!

tomko2 - great idea to make your own guide! I've done a similar thing for some of the places we've visited. Would you share? If it's in a form that you can post here, lots could benefit from it. Or let me know if you need my email for direct delivery. Thanks!

Oh I wish I could but we used the guide as we went and tossed the pages and attachments as a way to keep weight down so we could add a few special souvenirs to our luggage. I will however see if I still have my starting notes and if so will type them up and add them here.

I will definitely copy our notes for the next Med. cruise and leave a set at home. Hindsight is 20-20!

Kathy

Hindsight is 20-20!

Kathy

LOL :) When we went 3 years ago I didn't expect to be returning so soon, but we really enjoyed Athens and have decided to spend 3 days post cruise this fall.

Ceejay...The link I posted above for Rick Steve's article gave us everything we needed for a day (or more) in Athens ... walking tours, guided tour of Acropolis, highlights of the Archaeological Museum, restaurant recommendations, etc. I cut and paste from it and created our guide material....it worked out really well.

Archived