Past guest going with newbie

Depends on the ship/Cruise Director.

Probably, though they shouldn't be (ducks and runs for cover).

I was a newbie sharing a cabin with my veteran CCL friend last year. We all got invited.

Depends on the ship/Cruise Director.

Probably, though they shouldn't be (ducks and runs for cover).

Hehe, all that's left is a flurry of feathers! ;)

Haven't had one of these posts in a while.

You'll get a variety of opinions on the subject as to how it should be, but Duck is right - it depends on the ship/CD as to whether he will be allowed to attend or not.

I knew before I even opened the thread exactly what it would be about. I guess I just don't get the big deal. Other than the pin (which we didnt even get on the Fantasy in Feb) I look at it as about 45 minutes out of my life that I will never get back. I'm gonna start asking at the door about the pin then turn in my card and leave. That will leave mo space for newbies to crash. Sure we have a few free drinks, but certainly not a big deal.:rolleyes:

Absolutely your husband can attend the past guest party with you. Walk up to the officer taking invitations at the door of the party, hand him your invitation and introduce him as your husband. No problem.

:p

My newbie friend cruised with me on the Ecstasy 3 months ago. She received an invitation to the past guest party. However, the party was very disappointing and hardly worth the effort. I don't drink alcohol, but my friend was served one drink. We were offered two different hors d'oeuvres, neither of which was anything to brag about. It seems that the past guest parties have gotten so large that they're not what they used to be.

Absolutely your husband can attend the past guest party with you. Walk up to the officer taking invitations at the door of the party, hand him your invitation and introduce him as your husband. No problem.

:p

You don't KNOW that. Chances are just as good they will be turned around.

However, the party was very disappointing and hardly worth the effort. I don't drink alcohol, but my friend was served one drink. We were offered two different hors d'oeuvres, neither of which was anything to brag about. It seems that the past guest parties have gotten so large that they're not what they used to be.

Maybe if they weren't overcrowded with people who aren't supposed to be there the service would be better.

....It seems that the past guest parties have gotten so large that they're not what they used to be.

Well, DUH...why do you think they've gotten so large? Because folks go who have no business being there. The words PAST GUEST don't seem to phase some.

No, we don't enjoy "OUR" party as much anymore because it's too crowded with non past guests who have somehow wrangled an invitation.:rolleyes:

Well I see that I have to make a choice as to whether I will go to the past guest party when my friends and I sail on the Freedom. It will not be so cool if the place is full of people who have not earned the title of "Past Guest"

I only have been to 2 parties and was disappointed.

But last time I went they had a small raffle and gave a few small prizes. When

they had the guest come up to get their prise they asked them to tell them

her/his favorite ship. Well some lady won the 'big' prize came up and when

they asked her which was her favorite ship. She responded that this was

her 1st cruse, that she should really ask her BF.

You don't KNOW that. Chances are just as good they will be turned around.

Maybe if they weren't overcrowded with people who aren't supposed to be there the service would be better.

As it should be. I thought it was a nice party. I did not go for the pin, but then I did not know they even had pins, I go because we received a special invitation that apparently not everyone had gotten. We won the drawing, a bottle of French Wine. Past guest means just what it is, Past Guest.

My newbie friend cruised with me on the Ecstasy 3 months ago. She received an invitation to the past guest party. However, the party was very disappointing and hardly worth the effort. I don't drink alcohol, but my friend was served one drink. We were offered two different hors d'oeuvres, neither of which was anything to brag about. It seems that the past guest parties have gotten so large that they're not what they used to be.

That's because of all the people there who are NOT past guests.

I've been on two Carnival cruises prior to the one this summer and this is going to be my husband's first. Will he be able to join me in attending the past guest cocktail party?

Well, we've been on cruises where we didn't have past guest members. We never went because of that. I just didn't think it was right to leave them out of it.

I went to one or two but it was really no big deal. A few free bubbly's and some snacks......

DW and DH, ah I think they should be able to be together in the PG party.

Wow, I'm really suprised at some of the hate you guys are showing for new cruisers. I was the only member of a party of 10 who had never cruised before, and I'm a younger 20-something. If I hadn't been invited along with my best friend (cabinmate), I would have been all alone on the ship with nothing to do, early in the cruise, while all my friends went somewhere without me. What, was I supposed to wait in my room while all of my friends partied, just so you guys can feel all warm and fuzzy and important? That's sad.

I'm sorry that you feel past guest parties are getting too crowded. But really, what do you expect Carnival to do? Make half of a cruising party unhappy? Separate wives from husbands, older children from parents, and boyfriends from girlfriends? That's ridiculous. I think it makes more sense for some of you to understand that as more people cruise, there are simply more past guests. Ta-da.

I would have been all alone on the ship with nothing to do, early in the cruise, while all my friends went somewhere without me. What, was I supposed to wait in my room while all of my friends partied, just so you guys can feel all warm and fuzzy and important? That's sad.

Can you really not find something to do on your own for 45 minutes? Sorry, but that's what seems sad to me.

Can you really not find something to do on your own for 45 minutes? Sorry, but that's what seems sad to me.

Hey, it's not about me. It's about making new cruisers feel unwelcome. I understand what you guys are saying, don't get me wrong. But in a situation where there is a special party for every member of a group but one, you don't think the lone one would feel a bit put out? I feel inviting people as long as their cabin contains a past guest is just fine.

Personally, I'm fairly introverted, and I'm not the big brave person running out to try new things on my own. Sorry, but we're not all extroverts. I probably would have spent that time reading a book, waiting for all my friends to come back. Yes, it would have felt awkward, and yes, it would have left a bad taste in my mouth. If you disagree with my personality, I'm sorry---I can't change that. Thanks for trying to make me feel bad about it. But you can see that Carnival would have a problem on their hands if they were hardcore about the past guest rule.

It's about making new cruisers feel unwelcome.

You're right, by all means let's not make new cruisers feel unwelcome. Let's call it the past and "wanna be past" cruisers party. What the heck, let's open it up to the crew too.

You were chided by aggie because in your earlier posting you said "I would have been all alone on the ship with nothing to do, early in the cruise, while all my friends went somewhere without me." If you didn't want to come off sounding like a victim then don't say things that shallow. Be more creative in coming up with a reason for going to a party you don't meet the criteria for attending.

for aggie: gig-em

I probably would have spent that time reading a book, waiting for all my friends to come back.

Sorry, I stand by my statement. What in the world is so wrong about spending 45 minutes by yourself reading a book? Chances are you did something similar to this during the cruise without even realizing it. Is it because you're being forced to spend time alone that it leaves a bad taste in your mouth?

And I wasn't trying to make you feel bad about it. You actually contradict yourself, because an introvert would much rather sit by themselves and read a book than go to a party with a big group of people, anyway.

for aggie: gig-em

Right back at'cha! :D

How can this be in any way, hard to understand. It is called PAST GUEST PARTY, the invitations are sent, by name, to past guests ONLY. Not to PG's and their guests.

It is a corporate cocktail party given in appreciation of their past customers. It is not an open social event, it is a closed BUSINESS event.

Is it rude for you to drag a newbie to a party where the newbie was NOT invited? Anywhere?

You have two rude choices and one good mannered choice to make.

1. Take the uninvited newbie to the party---RUDE!

2. Leave your guest to fend for themselves while you attend the party.-RUDE!

3. Skip the party because you are with an UNINVITED PERSON.---PROPER MANNERS!

If you received an invitation to a party from your employer that said, 'FOR EMPLOYEES ONLY.' Would you try to take a non-employee guest?

The Captain' party is almost exactly the same as the PAST GUEST PARTY and is for ALL passengers. That's the party for the newbie to attend.

Dan

How can this be in any way, hard to understand. It is called PAST GUEST PARTY, the invitations are sent, by name, to past guests ONLY. Not to PG's and their guests.

The Captain' party is almost exactly the same as the PAST GUEST PARTY and is for ALL passengers. That's the party for the newbie to attend.

Dan

That's where you're wrong. I was a new cruiser, and received a personal invite to the party, because I was sharing a cabin with a past cruiser. Obviously, Carnival feels the same way I do. So I'm sure you can see why I'm a little confused as to why you're all so up in arms. I received an invite, I attended. Maybe they simply need to change the name of the party to "Past Guests and their Guests", so you guys will calm down about it.

And to those posters attempting to slam me for this---I hope you're better people in real life than you are on here. I've never seen CC be so nasty for NO reason. You've called me "shallow", a "victim", implied I was lying about my feelings, and questioned my intelligence for not understanding why I should not go to a party I was invited to. I just can't understand your hate.

My entire point is that I would have felt awkward and left out if my friends had been invited to a party, leaving me alone on a group vacation for an hour. Deciding to read a book in my room is one thing. Being forced to because all of my friends are at a party I couldn't attend is another. I wouldn't have wanted them to skip it---how would that be fair to them? But they wouldn't have wanted me to be left by myself while they partied. Carnival obviously understood that issue, and invited me along.

Man - some of ya'll are a little fanatical on this past guest party issue. I really don't care who is there as long as there is a drink for me.

If you are really worried about it, try going to the purser's desk, explain the situation, and request an extra invitation.

And to those posters attempting to slam me for this---I hope you're better people in real life than you are on here. I've never seen CC be so nasty for NO reason. You've called me "shallow", a "victim", implied I was lying about my feelings, and questioned my intelligence for not understanding why I should not go to a party I was invited to. I just can't understand your hate.

You must have a burr under your saddle. No one called you shallow or a victim. There's a world of difference between being told the things you are saying sound like a victim and come off as being shallow than being called shallow and/or a victim.

If you're not understanding what I'm telling you, how about this: I'll tell my boy he's doing something bad but I won't tell him he's bad.

As to "can't understand your hate", if ever there was a mountain being made out of a mole hill....

Archived