Conquest Infirmary

We sailed on the Conquest on 5/4. I dropped my insulin in the parking lot. Of course I did not bring any extra! Just wanted to tell all about the nursing staff on the Conquest. I was really impresed, as I called the infirmary the moment we were allowed in our cabin. I was told that they had insulin, that I was more then welcome to come down and that I could put it on my sail and sign card. Once I got down to zero deck, I was in and out in less then 5 mimutes. Way to go infirmary staff.

We sailed on the Conquest on 5/4. I dropped my insulin in the parking lot. Of course I did not bring any extra! Just wanted to tell all about the nursing staff on the Conquest. I was really impresed, as I called the infirmary the moment we were allowed in our cabin. I was told that they had insulin, that I was more then welcome to come down and that I could put it on my sail and sign card. Once I got down to zero deck, I was in and out in less then 5 mimutes. Way to go infirmary staff.

Thank you for that... We so often hear folks disparage the medical staff on board ships... It's great to hear you had a good experience...

Thanks for sharing that!

It's so nice to hear about the good experiences people have.

Too often, especially in todays society, we seem to only share our negative experiences.

It really is refreshing to hear about the positives times!

We had an amazing time on the Conquest in December and the staff was AMAZING!! I am not surprised by your experience AT ALL!

Have a great weekend. :D

Mach, why do you think the Med staff on ships is so often maligned by guests?

Being a medical person myself (ICU nurse, manager sleep tech geek) I often read those comments and wonder if it is just the stress of being ill , or injured in strange surroundings, wanting desperately not to be sick and ruin vacations for self and loved ones, worries about money... etc. After all it is hard enough sometimes to get people to the doc in their home town, let alone one on a ship, you would rather not have to see in the first place! :)

I think they do amazing things with the staff they have and the facilities they have to work in. They are not, however, a fully staffed hospital or even staffed like a small community hospital. Yet they get heart attacks and strokes and keep people going till they are sent safely home or to port...it is just amazing to me.

I heartliy agree the poster who said the OP should write a letter. I am sure compliments are always welcomed.

I myself have been lucky and the only time I visited one was on my second cruise, where I was in desperate need of a pain reliever for a horrible sinus headache. The staff on the Destiny could NOT have been nicer and showed me around and the answered questions I had about how they handled O2 in cabins and evacs on ship.

I know I have read some posts where they worried about the caliber or nationality of the docs aboard, and have to tell folks... I work in a large teaching hospital and our docs are of ALL nationalities. Medicine here in the US is now a veritable United Nations. Why just this week I had a Fellow from Peru, a visiting MD from Thailand and one from Spain and my regular doc from Mexico. ;)

I know the cruiselines would never wish the laibility of a questionable doc....or other licsensed staff.

Sorry for the long treatise, just your post made me think of it.

Nancy (yes the Nurse) :D

Archived