Need a "Naples" expert..Help!

I need help from someone on the board that can help me out with our Naples stop on our cruise.

There are 6 of us traveling together. When we arrive in Naples, 2 of us prefers to see Capri and Sorrento (We went to Pompeii, Ravello, Almafi, Positano, etc..last visit) anyway the other 4 people in our group will want to make a stop in Pompeii. We would like to use either the hydrofoils or trains and do all of this own our on. (last time we used a driver that somewhat took us "hostage" for the day and our excursion ending up being visits to places in his best interest not ours)

#1 - Can someone tell me how exactly to get to Sorrento and Capri from the port in Naples - need exact info if you have it

#2- Is there a way for our friends to split off from us and go to Pompeii and meet back up with us or a way for them to meet us back at the port in Naples ?

If anyone could give me some suggestions, ideas and specific train/boat/hydrofoil information, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

You don't ask for much do u? :) Let me try to give you the lay of the land. Its a little over a mile from the pier to the Naples train station (its an easy walk once you get across the busy street in front of the port). You can also take a local bus or simply grab a taxi. There is a private train line called the Circumvesuviania Line that run trains (about every 30 min) between Naples and Sorrento. That same train also stops at Pompeii (the stop is called "Pompeii Scavi" not Pompeii) which is right across the street from the ruins. Its possible to take the train from Naples to Pompeii Scavi, and than later get a train that continues on to Sorrento. You can get jet boats from either Sorrento or Naples (5 min walk from the ship) to Capri. Its a 50 min ride from Naples to Capri and about 20 min from Sorrento to Capri. Also keep in mind that once you get to Capri, you need to take the funicular up to Capri Town and there can sometimes be lines for that funicular (15 - 30 min) particularly if you are trying to get down in mid-afternoon to catch one of the last jetboats back to Naples. My point is that you do not want to go to Naples too late in the day because of the time element. If you are thinking about the Blue Grotto or the Chair Lift (IMHO this is the best thing on Capri) you need even more time. I hope this gives you enough info to think about your options. One option that has been used by many is to grab an early morning train from Naples to Pompeii, rush through the ruins, than take another train to Sorrento, grab the jet boat over to Capri, and later take the jetboat from Capri back to Naples. Although we have helped others plan this type of day, we always thought it was trying to squeeze a bit too much in a day. It means you need to rush through Pompeii, and you will not really have enough time on Capri. On the other hand, if you are the "If its Tuesday it must be Belgium" type of traveler than it is doable. My DW and I really love Capri (we were just there on May 4) and have always felt that this island is best enjoyed on a "laid back" kind of day when you can have a nice long lunch, eat some gelato, take the bus up to Anacapri and later the chair lift to the top of the mountain, enjoying the Rodeo Drive like shops on Via Vittorio Emanuele, and Via Camerelle (saw a pair of $1000 jeans in one of the shops) etc. But, that's just one guys opinion.

Hank

everything right, i confirm. aaah via camerelle what a wonderfull shopiing i had on easter time!!!

Hmmm. The only reason you had a wonderful shopping experience was because you live in Italy. For us Americans, the terrible dollar is nearly worthless in those boutiques. Its nice to look, but its not smart for us to buy. My wife had bought a pair of decent sandals a few weeks ago in Florida and she paid $80. The same exact sandals in a store on Capri were priced at 85 Euros..and they were on sale!

Hank

I recommend taking the tram (I think its the #1) from the port to the Circumvesuviana train station. The walk is crowded and stinky from all the traffic. At least that was the case when we were there last July.

Does anyone know if the new subway line is in service. It connects the line that runs to the Archeological Museum from the train station down to a new stop called (if I remember correctly) Metropolitana which is near the port. It is represented as a N-S dashed line on their metro map.

Leigh

Hmmm. The only reason you had a wonderful shopping experience was because you live in Italy. For us Americans, the terrible dollar is nearly worthless in those boutiques. Its nice to look, but its not smart for us to buy. My wife had bought a pair of decent sandals a few weeks ago in Florida and she paid $80. The same exact sandals in a store on Capri were priced at 85 Euros..and they were on sale!

Hank

prices are very high for us too,believe me, but who can resist to a pair of stuart weitzman in green silk with an amazing swarosky stone scream BUY ME!! BUY ME!! BUY ME!!?? me i can't :D

Archived