Just back from Solo to Bermuda on NCL

bobbisailsolo

Hi All,

Just back from my first solo cruise. And if anyone out there is apprehensive to go solo, I can only say "GO FOR IT". I had such a lovely time. Met so many nice people. Didn't run into any other solo, but plenty of non-couples on the ship. And what an ice breaker for conversation. As soon as I would mention I was traveling alone, people just opened right up. Everyone seemed to think it was so courageous, but it really wasn't. It was quite easy to do. This was also my first cruise on NCL since it went freestyle. I loved it. Do everything at your own pace. Dress how you want. I am already planning my next cruise with them to South America.

Glad you had a wonderful cruise. I get the same responses when traveling solo. Opens up a whole new world of conversation. The most frequent comment is "being brave/couragess". I have been doing this solo traveling for so long, I don't find it brave or anything. Just do it. Rather travel alone than having regrets when I am in my rocking chair on the front porch. Plus I think cruising is so ideal when doing solo traveling. I won't go out after dark when I am doing land traveling but no problem with going out after dark when cruising. I think this is going to be my mode of travel for a very long time.

Glad you had a wonderful cruise. I get the same responses when traveling solo. Opens up a whole new world of conversation. The most frequent comment is "being brave/couragess". I have been doing this solo traveling for so long, I don't find it brave or anything. Just do it. Rather travel alone than having regrets when I am in my rocking chair on the front porch. Plus I think cruising is so ideal when doing solo traveling. I won't go out after dark when I am doing land traveling but no problem with going out after dark when cruising. I think this is going to be my mode of travel for a very long time.

As one who is approaching that "rocking chair" age, I agree with you all the way. When retirement was forced upon me a coupla years back (5000 jobs outsourced to India, Manila, Mexico City, Eastern Europe, etc), I was 1 week away from my 65th B'day. I said to heck with it and took retirement.

Not rich at all....had a very small 401K that I rolled over (spent most of my money taking care of my mother in her later years....couldn't afford to save much at all). Believe me, every cent I get that doesn't go for needed expenses like utilities, rent, food, etc....goes towards travel.... I cruise at least 2 times a year and love to hop in my car for road trips.... (That's certainly be curtailed with the high fuel prices).

Someday I am going to wake up and not be able to do the things I want....something is going to get all of us sooner or later. But, in the meantime.....outta my way...I'm gone.

To supplement my habit and feed my addiction, I'll do almost anything to raise money. I am a frequent seller on eBay, for instance.. ALL of that money goes in my travel stash.

I love traveling solo... I love cruising solo..

Good for you...keep it up.

I did a 2 day to nowhere solo (not sure if that counts :) ) my first time solo, my first time on NCL. For breakfast and lunch I did the buffet, I did do the lunch one day in the non-pay dining room now that i think of it, plus 2 1 dinner in the non-pay dining room and 1 in the pay-ginza. for the main dining rooms i got a table for 2 which all seem to be window seats so i was happy about that. Actually the ginza dinner i also got a "window" table for 2. I'm not sure how it would have worked out if I had wanted to be seated with a group rather than dine on my own, it looked like it would have been a bit more work. Whereas i can see if you're doing a traditional dining experience (other lines with set dining times) it would be less work to be seated with a group.

I found the initial reaction to me saying i was by myself amusing. Everyone was very friendly:D

Regards,

Joanne

I've thought about doing a NCL cruise to SA over the Christmas/New Years holidays in 2009. I'm curious how the freestyle dining worked out for you.

Faith

I've thought about doing a NCL cruise to SA over the Christmas/New Years holidays in 2009. I'm curious how the freestyle dining worked out for you.

Faith

I really liked the freestyle dining. At the dining room they always asked me if I wanted to share a table... Sometimes I did, othertimes I chose to sit alone (when I didn't feel like conversation) I met very nice, and sometimes interesting people. When I went to the buffet, rather than the dining room, since I had a table to myself, often a couple would ask if they could share my table. So I really was not alone unless I chose to be. I even went to the premium restuarant and had dinner by myself. I think its great.. You have you meals at your convenience, rather than their schedule. The meals are not as dragged out either. The go much quicker. The only thing you miss are those funny shows the waiters put on, nor do you get to know them, like you would on a conventional cruise. I have another cruise planned for Alaska in Aug, on HAL, and will be opting for the anytime dining. I liked it so well.

I am also thinking about the SA cruise on NCL... probably feb of 2010.... the 14 days cruise around the cape. It really does sound like a great itenerary. When on board, I asked the cruise consultant about that cruise and she said its one of the best. She said the best time for it is Jan, Feb and March.

Bobbi, thanks for answering my ? about your dining experiences on NCL. I'm starting to look at SA and Panama Canal intineraries for the Christmas/New Years season for 2009. After reading your comments and the others I'll definately consider NCL.

Faith

Archived