Around the Seabourn Water Cooler... Off topic and fun posts here!- Updated

Host Dan

I've discussed this at length with the powers that be, and have decided to leave the referral coupon threads as-is. Otherwise it would be very confusing as to whom gave a coupon to whom etc. When I see a match has been made, I delete the thread and we all go on from there. Thanks for the suggestion though.. :)

Host Dan

Just noticed on cruisecal. com 3 Carnival ships have cancelled calls to Mexico ~~as well as 2 Princess ships and 1 Holland American ship. I'm sure in a few days the ships schedules will be back to normal as soon as the swine "flu" scare is over.

I would not want to fly or cruise to Mexico this week ~~!~

Martita B.

Just noticed on cruisecal. com 3 Carnival ships have cancelled calls to Mexico ~~as well as 2 Princess ships and 1 Holland American ship. I'm sure in a few days the ships schedules will be back to normal as soon as the swine "flu" scare is over.

I would not want to fly or cruise to Mexico this week ~~!~

Martita B.

They are all pulling out of Mexican ports and quite right. This FLU is a fact not a scare. :(

Don & Lola

Do you remember when Seabourn discontinued the "tea dances" in the restaurant? I remember what fun we had during the Pride Galley Market luncheon when the orchestra would play dance music and the Guests would waltz in the dining room. During this same time period the Cruise Director would host "Atlantis tours" down in the aquarium ocean room. (now sadly it's a storage room)

These events were so very special ~~I wish we could still enjoy those good 'ole times!:p

Martita B.

Yes, the Guests....but I think some events and activities have to do with the Cruise Directors ~~as to their enthusiasm and interest.

The tea dances were special and certainly added a plus to the Galley Market luncheons.

MB

I hope this has not been posted before. If it was I apologise, because I have not been reading everything due to holidays!

Via a Dutch website I was redirected to the Seabourn website and read the following:

SEABOURN BREAKS SINGLE-DAY CALL VOLUME RECORD

Release Date: Apr. 22,2009

MIAMI, April 22, 2009---Ultra luxury, small ship cruise line The Yachts of Seabourn reported that it set a new one-day call volume record on Monday. The company’s in-house Cruise Sales Consultants fielded 830 calls between 9am and 8pm E.D.T.

For the past month, the top-shelf vacation company has seen call volumes and booking offers climb by more than 40 percent over the previous month, in response to an aggressive promotion campaign touting Yachting Collection Savings of 50 to 65 percent off published brochure fares for 2009 cruise vacations.

“The savings promotion, combined with the growing excitement over the launch of our new Seabourn Odyssey in June, has created a significant jump in activity,” said Seabourn president & CEO Pamela Conover. “What is especially exciting is how many of these are first-time Seabourn guests booking with travel agents who have not previously booked a Seabourn yachting vacation,” she continued.

Seabourn Odyssey, which debuts in Venice on June 24, is the first new addition to the luxury cruise segment in over six years, and the first new vessel to join the award-winning Seabourn fleet in more than 15 years. Carrying just 450 guests in all ocean-view suites, 90 percent of which have private verandas, Odyssey will spend the rest of the summer and early fall sailing in the Greek Isles, Turkey and the Black Sea. In June 2010, Odyssey’s twin sister ship Seabourn Sojourn will debut in England, and sail in Northern Europe. A third sister-ship will be delivered in 2011.

For information on cruises in Europe, the Americas, Asia, India, Arabia and Africa aboard The Yachts of Seabourn, contact a professional travel agent, call Seabourn at 1-800-929-9391 or visit http://www.seabourn.com .

Just wanted to share this with you!

Have a nice Sunday (Mothersday here in Holland!)

Marja

In case anyone doubted the action of ginger for seasickness:

>"TORONTO, May 14 -- Half a teaspoon of ground ginger a day can significantly reduce the nausea associated with chemotherapy, researchers found. In a large randomized trial, the spice reduced nausea by 40% when taken along with standard antinausea..."

Thank heavens, Seabourn looks nothing like fishing vessels.

>"Royal Navy warships have forced heavily armed Spanish ships to retreat from British waters around Gibraltar.

Relations between the 30,000 residents of the British outpost and mainland Spain have become strained following what the Foreign Office described as 'a violation of British sovereignty'.

The warships were dispatched after Spanish ships sent boarding parties to inspect fishing boats in British waters, despite having no authority to do so."

Delta and Baggage Fees:

>"ATLANTA — Delta Air Lines Inc., the world's largest airline operator, said Wednesday it is significantly scaling back its plans for a $50 fee for a second checked bag on international flights, as some major competitors so far have refused to match it.

The Atlanta-based airline said the fee will only apply to travel between the U.S. and Europe. When Delta made the initial announcement April 21, the fee was to apply to all international travel.

"We constantly monitor the industry landscape to ensure our fares and fees are competitive," spokeswoman Betsy Talton said in an e-mail.

Delta has said previously the new fee was expected to generate more than $100 million annually for the airline. It did not provide a new figure Wednesday.

The fee is effective for travel beginning July 1. The first checked bag on all Delta international flights remains free."

From USAToday.

http://www.sailwx.info/

Always interesting website, but even more so now, when you would like to follow the ships that are searching for the Air France plane remaining/debris!

Two Dutch ships are there as well!

And you can also find most of the cruise ships. However, I've never been able to see any Seabourn ships!

Marja

1502383863_Shipssearchingforairplanecrashparts.jpg.12d27095fd6195ffddbe07200f0595fc.jpg

Hi Cands!

Maybe you could teach me how to post such beautiful big photos on this website!

Can you tell me step by step?

Sometimes I would like to add one or two myself, but I thought only small ones are allowed!

Have a nice evening (I suppose?)

Marja

I like the tracker at http://marinetraffic.com/ais/datasheet.aspx?datasource=V_SHIP&level1=220

To find, for example Pride, enter Seabourn Pride in the vessel's name box hit "search" and make a note of the MMSI number. Go to the "Position History" tab, enter the MMSI number and you can click on the most recent position.

You must enter the full ship name, eg Seven Seas Voyage, Seabourn Pride to find the MMSI number.

Hi Cands!

Maybe you could teach me how to post such beautiful big photos on this website!

Can you tell me step by step?

Sometimes I would like to add one or two myself, but I thought only small ones are allowed!

Have a nice evening (I suppose?)

Marja

Good evening Marja,

Sure, its easy, providing you have the photo stored on some sort of photo storage website and you know the URL of the photo.

In my case all of the photos are stored on FLICKR.

Now, say I want to show a photo of Spirit suite 137. I know the URL of the photo:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3218/3128422658_6dfbb785ea_b.jpg

There is an icon at the top when replying to a thread which looks like a postcard of mountains with a yellow background called "Insert Image".

Click on that and copy the URL into it. That's it.

The reason you can 'post' any size is that it is not taking up any space on Cruise Critic. All you are inserting is a refence to where the photo is really stored. Your computer does the rest and accesses the large photo from the website where the photo is stored.

So lets show that picture:

3128422658_6dfbb785ea_b.jpg

Voila!

Give it a try. Its good fun.

Cheers,

Steve.

Marja,

Just to give you a further example, you can do this with just about any photo that has a URL.

I picked the following one from Captain G-A's wonderful collection:

http://www.captain-ga.com/albums/userpics/10001/normal_25aug08-1ab_%282%29wtmk.JPG

I looked at your URLs for some of the previous photos you have linked to but most of them seem to be with Facebook and are password protected, so I couldn't experiment with them.

Good luck,

Steve.

normal_25aug08-1ab_%282%29wtmk.JPG

Edited by cands

Steve, When I click on Reply to Thread, I don't see any icon. (I also don't have any photos to post, but might someday<G>) There does seem to be an option to check a box and add a URL, but no icon. Perhaps it's my Mac Browser, Safari?

Steve, When I click on Reply to Thread, I don't see any icon. (I also don't have any photos to post, but might someday<G>) There does seem to be an option to check a box and add a URL, but no icon. Perhaps it's my Mac Browser, Safari?

I agree with JaneBP -- I cannot find an icon for attaching photos, either. I know what Steve is talking about, as they have the same thing on Flyertalk.com and I have used it often. Perhaps there is an "advanced" reply/response page that we don't know about or need to sign up for? (Yes, I know there is a "Go Advanced" button, but it just takes me to the regular reply page with no photo attachment icon. I also cannot find a way to attach emoticons into the body of a message.) Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jackie

This is what I see when I reply.

I use windows XP.

3605379703_25dcc53ce5_o.jpg

Wow!! That is NOT what I get when I hit "Post Reply". And I also use Windows XP.

The above is what I would like to get. However, this is what I in fact get:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=19872809

Does anyone have any advice for how to get to the Reply window that cands is able to log onto? Help!

Wow!! That is NOT what I get when I hit "Post Reply". And I also use Windows XP.

The above is what I would like to get. However, this is what I in fact get:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=19872809

Does anyone have any advice for how to get to the Reply window that cands is able to log onto? Help!

Very strange! When I click on the link you provided I get exactly the same as I posted above! Anyone?

I'm using Internet Explorer version 7.

Edited by cands