TSA Put Wrong TSA Lock Back On Suitcase

loves2cruz

My son just returned from trip and when he went to open lock discovered wrong lock put on suitcase. This lock cannot be opened. Does this need to be cut off or is there another way to remove it? If I need to cut it off what should I use? I do not have bolt cutters. I do not want to damage the new suitcase.

Thanks

If you are nervous about doing your own lock breaking, take the suitcase to a reputable lock smith. That person should be able to open that lock in about 10 seconds for a minumim charge.

We hired a locksmith (he has many other talents) in our company and he has saved us a fortune over the years!

Use a pair of pliers to hold the lock and then carefully cut the lock arm with a hack saw....should cut fairly easily as the luggage locks are normally fairly cheaply made. Gotta luv the TSA's huh!!??:eek:

The "lesson learned" I got from this thread is to check the locks when you claim your bags. If it's the wrong lock you can ask a TSA person to unlock it for you while you're at the airport anyway. Sawing or busting apart the lock sounds more fun, though! :)

Archived