What to do in Chios, Nauplion, and Itea Greece?

We will be sailing on the Azamara Quest June 21st departure from Athens. I have arranged most of our shore excursions for this trip, but am unsure of what to do in Chios, Nauplion, and Itea, Greece.

Does anyone know if these are ports we can explore on our own or if the main attractions are away from the port area? Azamara offers the following excursions in these ports:

Chios ...South Village, Pyrgi, and Mesta or Nea Moni, Anavatos, Avgonima

Naupolion ....Ancient Epidavros and Palamidi F, or Ancient Nemea and Wine Tasting, or Ancient Mycenae

Itea ....Archeological Site of Delphi a, or Monastery of Osios Loukas and Ar

Gythion ....Beautiful Mystras

Any suggestions or helpful hints/must sees would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Nancy

Port of Naupolion - you will need a ships tour, independent tour, or a car to visit Epidavros and Mycenae as they are not real close to town.

Itea - the same applies to Delphi and the monastery as above. While they are not real long distances to travel, they are not close to port.

Epidavros is an amplitheater and there is a museum there also, the ruins at Mycenae are not much beyond the lions gate unless you are really into history. Delphi, set in the mountains is very beautiful and well worth the trip. Also, the setting of the monastery is all the pictures show it to be. Sometimes after you see so many ruins you get a little picky about them. A friend of mine, after touring around Greece twice, said he was tired to seeing piles of rubble for awhile. (of course, just his opinion.)

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

Moonglow: I tend to agree with your friend about the ruins, sometimes they start to run together a bit if you aren't a real history buff.

Susan M. : I will check out the thread on Chios.

Thank you,

Nancy

We will be sailing on the Azamara Quest June 21st departure from Athens. I have arranged most of our shore excursions for this trip, but am unsure of what to do in Chios, Nauplion, and Itea, Greece.

Does anyone know if these are ports we can explore on our own or if the main attractions are away from the port area? Azamara offers the following excursions in these ports:

Chios ...South Village, Pyrgi, and Mesta or Nea Moni, Anavatos, Avgonima

Naupolion ....Ancient Epidavros and Palamidi F, or Ancient Nemea and Wine Tasting, or Ancient Mycenae

Itea ....Archeological Site of Delphi a, or Monastery of Osios Loukas and Ar

Gythion ....Beautiful Mystras

Any suggestions or helpful hints/must sees would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Nancy

Navplion is a great town to walk around. Itea is`nt a lot and you need a tour. Chios I have`nt been to.

Naupflion is a beautiful city to walk around in. The other sites - Mycenae, Epidaurus are also great, but you would need to either coordinate public transport, a taxi or rent a car as they are not within walking distance.

My husband's family is from Mystras and it is a very lovely village and historic site to visit. It would be about 45 minutes from Gythion. There's an old fortress/castle and several churches with Byzantine frescos inside a the archeological site. Its recognized as a UNESCO world heritage site in terms of significance. Its also an area of Greece that is a little more off the beaten track. They have a local sweet called samousas which are a small pastry stuffed with nuts & spices and a whole clove pushed into the top. In the summer there is a bus between the two towns, but I'm not too sure about the schedule.

Gythion has the beach and is very pleasant to walk around in as well if you don't feel like travelling.

Archived