What's with the Dawn?!

cod

We went on the Carnival Victory last June from NY up to Halifax. At the Port of NY, a porter, who had seen us there many times to get on the Dawn and once on the Spirit, said ominously "You're gonna find it's nothing like the Dawn." Oh, was he EVER right!

There is very little about the Victory that even vaguely compares to the Dawn other than better coffee.

BTW, the Dawn has Garden Villas, and, outside of NCL, only the QM2 has anything comparable--half the size and twice the price. If you ever cruise in a Villa, NOTHING else can compare. It spoils you. And the Villas on the Dawn and the Star (especially the portside ones) are STILL the best in the fleet. Only the Jewel's villas compare. The newer ones on the Pearl/Jade and Gem aren't nearly as nice as the Jewel's or Dawn/Star's (because you have upstairs neighbors!)

I know "He Who Must Not Be Mentioned" sailed on the Dawn a number of times.

PE

I have not been on the boards for a long time. Is "He Who Must Not Be Mentioned" a very informative guy from the shore?

I have been wondering where he is. I learned a lot from him before my DH and I sailed on the Dawn in 2006 and his "one day review of the garden villa" on the Dawn was GREAT. :)

Just curious. ;)

I have not been on the boards for a long time. Is "He Who Must Not Be Mentioned" a very informative guy from the shore?

I have been wondering where he is. I learned a lot from him before my DH and I sailed on the Dawn in 2006 and his "one day review of the garden villa" on the Dawn was GREAT. :)

Just curious. ;)

You said that not me. I hear he hangs out at a place that is all about Cruise Travel and still likes to Talk a lot.

PE

You said that not me. I hear he hangs out at a place that is all about Cruise Travel and still likes to Talk a lot.

PE

Glad to hear that. I was hoping that he was OK. :)

As for the Dawn - my DH and I are from Ohio (not NYC area) and we LOVED the Dawn. We have sailed Carnival, RCI (we enjoyed both), and NCL. NCL is our favorite. We felt that the crew seemed different on the Dawn - almost like they were happy and more relaxed. It was nice.

We have sailed on the Dawn four times and will return to her again in October. She introduced us to freestyle dining after years of traditional dining roulette. She inaugurated year round cruising out of New York which made it unnecessary to fly to Florida every winter. The Dawn gave us the best entertainers we ever enjoyed on a cruise ship- Pamala Stanley, Anna Y Los Vientos, Best of Friends and Vladimir Krevian. We loved breakfast in the elegant Venetian and dinner in intimate Impressions. We enjoyed dining in Salsa while listening to the performers in the atrium and watching the glass elevators in the soaring atrium (missing on the newer NCL ships). We always look forward to returning to the Dawn which now sails to our favorite island port- Bermuda.

We have cruised the Dawn six times and I totally agree with your post...including the port of Bermuda.

Enjoy your October cruise:) I am missing the Dawn:(

just returned from our first tiem on the Dawn and did not see anything to rave about nor complain about. Just an average ship. We have been on 16 cruises so far. Layout OK, cabin (outside deck 8) had ample storage but not enough room around the bed for both of us to get in/out without climbing on bed. It was one side or the other. Did like the shower and bath facilities though.

Staff was wonderful and entertainment great.

You could have had the beds separated. This would have given you more room, with the night stands between the two beds. We do this every cruise. Its a small inconvenience, but there is more room to move around.

My steak in Cagneys - which i requested med/well came back raw.. no kidding, it was actually bloody and cold and raw inside. When it came back - the same portion - it was rock hard and dry and not enjoyable at all. I thought of asking for another serving, but by the time i would have gotten it, my husband would have been done with his meal. So I just chalked that up to $40 wasted and experiences learned.... that NY/NJ has better restaurants than this cruise ship. The one exception was La Bistro which would be placed in the SUPERIOR category. Sevice was excellent, food was wonderful and atmosphere was very enjoyable

I agree about Cagneys, except my steak was bone dry and I wanted it medium-well. The waiters there were also not so friendly.... I would not eat there. Le Bistro was great!!!

Could you please tell us what quaifies your review to be the truth and the others lies?

Sorry, I was just feeling validated when dozens of others on the ship asked us to sign on to a proposed class-action lawsuit against NCL, which I've come to realize is both frivolous and unwise.

"Cuz he is Capt. Lou. And his fount of information is based on 5 posts over the past 8 years"

Very funny...I now regret having a REAL LIFE, running two corporations and all of my philanthropic work instead of being an obsessive forum troll. If I live to see my 50th birthday retirement, I'll have time to be more active here.

BTW, I never meant to imply that other's views were LIES. Everyone has their own reality.

Captain Lou - your Dawn review title is appalling and I note that you've added the same rude "title" to your signature list. How philanthropic are you to put a title like that up??? Absolutely, positively unbelievable:mad: .

Captain Lou - your Dawn review title is appalling and I note that you've added the same rude "title" to your signature list. How philanthropic are you to put a title like that up??? Absolutely, positively unbelievable:mad: .

I got that line from one of the beloved comedians onboard. I thought it was clever. If others are also offended by my freedom of speech, I will no longer use it.

Lou

I met someone briefly yesterday (on land) who has been on 40+ cruises (every mass market line except RCI) and when I asked which one he liked the best it was the NCL Dawn..hands down, which he has sailed on several times.

I wasn't able to get further details but I'm very curious as to what is so special about the Dawn!!

A cruiseline or ship can't get a better compliment like that!!!!

Hoping I'll be just as enamored with the Dawn as that person was :D

We have cruised the Dawn six times and I totally agree with your post...including the port of Bermuda.

Enjoy your October cruise:) I am missing the Dawn:(

Not only are we booked on the Dawn to Bermuda in October but also in October 2009. Combining my favorite ship with my favorite island is too good to pass up. I should add, to balance the critics, that every meal we have ever had in Cagney's has been exceptional, breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Sorry, I was just feeling validated when dozens of others on the ship asked us to sign on to a proposed class-action lawsuit against NCL, which I've come to realize is both frivolous and unwise.

"Cuz he is Capt. Lou. And his fount of information is based on 5 posts over the past 8 years"

Very funny...I now regret having a REAL LIFE, running two corporations and all of my philanthropic work instead of being an obsessive forum troll. If I live to see my 50th birthday retirement, I'll have time to be more active here.

BTW, I never meant to imply that other's views were LIES. Everyone has their own reality.

I just LOVE the internet, where anyone can be anyone.

Thanks. Rather a 'mixed bag' with more agreeing than not.

This couple lives in NC which - it they do drive to NY - is not really close. I wish I could have 'prodded' a little (I'm so nosey!) but I guess it's for the same reasons those that agree have mentioned.

Thank you for the clarification. It is very true that everyone has their own reality and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I have no problem with you posting your opinion and the problems that you encountered. My only objection was the insinutation that only you were telling the real facts.

Sorry that you didn't have a better trip and hope you enjoy whatever cruiseline you sail with in the future.

You could have had the beds separated. This would have given you more room, with the night stands between the two beds. We do this every cruise. Its a small inconvenience, but there is more room to move around.

A small inconvenience to you may not be for some of us. I sleep with my wife... not in separate beds...

The room was just too small especially when they have an extra drop-down bunk to help block the way into bed...

We're looking at the Dawn for a Canada/New England cruise in the fall, so I've been reading some of the reviews. It always amazes me how people can blame the cruise line for everything from weather problems to an overboard passenger.

If Capt. Lou drops back by this thread, I have a question. How on earth did you figure that you had to spend $92,000 to earn $2,000 in cruise certificates? Even if all your purchases were non-NCL related, at 3% you'd only be spending about $67,000. Just curious as to how you arrived at that amount. We've found the NCL credit card to be a wonderful money-saving feature -- but we're certainly not purchasing $92,000 of merchandise that we don't need just to get the certificates.

If Capt. Lou drops back by this thread, I have a question. How on earth did you figure that you had to spend $92,000 to earn $2,000 in cruise certificates? Even if all your purchases were non-NCL related, at 3% you'd only be spending about $67,000. .

Hi Ute-

I think he already has posted that. Remember:

"Everyone has their own reality."

Hi Monte! Is your upcoming Dawn cruise the one you got such a great deal on? I really need to get ours booked, but my DS leaves on June 4 for two years and I'm sure I won't get it done until he leaves.

Hi Monte! Is your upcoming Dawn cruise the one you got such a great deal on? .

It sure is! :D

That is quite generous of you Monte. Remember he is quite busy running 2 corporations and with all of his philanthropic obligations.:rolleyes:

PE

I'm reserving judgement, but I wonder if this should be filed with the comments some make about removing auto tips, and (of course) they tip so much more on their own ;)

We are leaving on Sunday for our 4th cruise on the Dawn. She is our favorite ship. The floor plans are really easy to navigate and the decorations are really nice.

The second time we arrived on the Dawn, we were greeted with "Hi I remember you!!" A fellow from the cruise directors staff really remembered us. It felt like we had just come home.

Jeanne:)

I really enjoyed my sailing on The Dawn in Dec. 2007. I took my daughter who had just retired from the USAF and we had a blast! I can't imagine anything that could have made our cruise more enjoyable from the food to excursions to disembarcation. We thought the cruise was perfect in every way!:)

Go and enjoy!:D

Archived