Best Book for So Calif

Muumuu

Please advise as to the best book to buy for someone who has never been to Southern California. We will be flying in to San Francisco then driving to Long Beach.

I have bought California for Dummies and am not very satisfied with it.

Thank you

AAA Southern California -- free to any AAA member and affiliates.

Please advise as to the best book to buy for someone who has never been to Southern California. We will be flying in to San Francisco then driving to Long Beach.

I have bought California for Dummies and am not very satisfied with it.

Thank you

I always get the Auto Club book for whatever area we're going to visit. It has great info about the area: attractions, hotels (with specific info), restaurants. Plus coupons and maps. and the Club will give you road maps and even a Triptik if you order it in enough time ahead of your trip (a bound book specific to your trip with road maps). When we were traveling from Oxnard, CA, to Seattle on Amtrak, it was fun tracking our progress with this info.

I generally check out a couple of the options at the local library, then buy a copy of the one that I like the best. But for Southern California, I'd go with the AAA handbook (disclaimer--since I live in Orange County, I don't think I've actually since this one). We have used the AAA publications for a couple of quick car trips and they were accurate and helpful.

Archived