Queens Grill vs Silversea, Sea Dream & Oceania

sw18

I've just booked a roundtrip transatlantic 10/16 October 08 on the QM2 in a Q5 & would normally book a repositioning crossing with Silversea (& have also done Oceania & Sea Dream), however the dates don't quite fit this year. I understand the differences between a true liner crossing & a repositioning crossing, and am happy that I have made the right decision in terms of stateroom/ship/line - I would be grateful though if anyone that has crossed on both the high end cruise lines & Queens Grill could post any comparisons & hints/tips.

Thanks in advance! :D

As close as you can get ;), but then in comparison to the ships I'm talking about she is!

Having said that the Silver Cloud & Wind handled the Atlantic, albeit the southern route, pretty well - there was motion occasionally but it was a comfortable "surfing" movement. The eye opener was the Regatta - the Oceania triplets really are fair weather ships & not the best sea boats with a nasty "corkscrewing" kind of motion.

QM2 does meet the standard of a liner in that the freeboards and hull are designed for crossings and were modeled after the QE2 with adjustments made for advancement in technology since the 60's and her open ocean speed of 30 knots greatly exceeds the 21.6 knot maximum speed of the average cruise ship. While she does do cruises in addition to crossings, after November she will be the only thing resembling a liner that does scheduled crossings. And I expect this to hold true after the launching of the new QE in 2010.

Being an ardent Seabourn and Silversea passenger (many cruises on both) and having done two crossings on QM2 in Grill I can tell you there is a world of difference. The food and service in the Grill rooms is spectacular. The cabins are terrific. BUT once you leave the Grill restaurant or lounge you are on a large ship with 2600 other people. You will not receive the personalized service of the smaller lines because it is simply impossible. There will be crowds, lines and "gold by the inch" sales as well as tables clogging the passageways outside the boutiques hawking cheap imitation star jewelry. On the other hand, you will have broader entertainment options as well as lecturers. It is a unique experience to cross the North Atlantic instead of the usual southern route the smaller ships take (though not the same as QE2) and you will surely enjoy it in QG, but be aware of the different experience before boarding.

Hi

Are you of the opinion that the QM2 is a "true liner"?

According to her designer, Stephen Payne, Qm2 is a true liner. We attended his lectures on QV in January. They were very interesting & he described how she was built why & how that made her a liner.

Sharon

The QG cabins are way nicer than those on Silverseas. I thought the food in the Queens Grill was far, far superior, with a better menu. On SS, the meals were delivered all pre-served (always reminded that "the plate is hot"-- read:heated up in oven); in QG, the vegetables are served separately, there is extensive tableside service, just an altogether more refined experience.

And yes, as a previous poster notes, there are many more people on the QM2, but that also translates into much, much more to do on a 6-night voyage, and activities far into the night. The spa is vastly superior too, and that's likely a function of the number of passengers. On the Silver Shadow, while it was an elegant in its way, the ship essentially closed down by 10 p.m. (a few people left in the bars), and aside from a lecture or two, there wasn't a whole lot to do.

Being an ardent Seabourn and Silversea passenger (many cruises on both) and having done two crossings on QM2 in Grill I can tell you there is a world of difference. The food and service in the Grill rooms is spectacular. The cabins are terrific. BUT once you leave the Grill restaurant or lounge you are on a large ship with 2600 other people. You will not receive the personalized service of the smaller lines because it is simply impossible. There will be crowds, lines and "gold by the inch" sales as well as tables clogging the passageways outside the boutiques hawking cheap imitation star jewelry. On the other hand, you will have broader entertainment options as well as lecturers. It is a unique experience to cross the North Atlantic instead of the usual southern route the smaller ships take (though not the same as QE2) and you will surely enjoy it in QG, but be aware of the different experience before boarding.

I could not agree more with your statement. When on form the Queens Grill cuisine is excellent, at the same or better level as Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea etc.. The service when on form is top notch with regard to dinning room staff, and cabin staff. The suites are some of the most beautiful at sea. That being said your point of service outside of the Grill areas is valid. I have said before that I believe Cunard has a unique situation having to cater to the luxury, premium, and high grade cruise experiences on one large ship.

I do have a favor to ask of the original poster. Would you please let us know how your voyage was with regard to cuisine and service when you return. You may have seen from the board postings that service seems to be ranging from excellent (the norm I feel) to having some serious problems. I am considering my next trip to Europe and how to return, on QM2 or take the southern route on another ship. Based on my last voyage I am concerned about taking the QM2 because of cuisine and service issues and would like to know if the problems I encountered have been resolved. I must say I believe they were caused by staff being pulled to Victoria and I am sure all is well again, I would just like to make sure before I book.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks for all of the input folks; you have all pretty much summed up what I had originally thought and appreciate hearing it "from the horses mouth".

Funnily enough I never rated Silversea for their food - no flambe's for "safety reasons", but excellent service & good complimentary wines. Sea Dream had excellent cuisine & service which was marred by mediocre to poor table wines. Oceania seem to serve the best food, but service is inconsistent ranging from fantastic to downright rude.

TAH.....no problem - I will be more than happy to post my thoughts on my return.

Archived