Shore snorkeling Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Cayman

gday12345

Anyone have information on shore snorkeling from any of these Ports? I don't want to do an excursion and would like to be able to walk or taxi to a good site. Please include exact locations and directions. I have found that most shore trips are as good or better (lack of crowds) as excursions. Going Sept 14, 2008 on the Carnival Legend. Thanks in advance.:D We have snorkeled in the Bahamas, the Florida Keys, Grand Turk, and we have our own gear.

Anyone have information on shore snorkeling from any of these Ports? I don't want to do an excursion and would like to be able to walk or taxi to a good site. Please include exact locations and directions. I have found that most shore trips are as good or better (lack of crowds) as excursions. Going Sept 14, 2008 on the Carnival Legend. Thanks in advance.:D We have snorkeled in the Bahamas, the Florida Keys, Grand Turk, and we have our own gear.

For GC you can snorkel at Eden Rock, go right facing town, past the hard rock cafe, around the point, can't miss it. Or if you want a quieter snorkel, grab a cab and do a quick taxi to sunset house and snorkel their house reef. Both locations have a dive shop on site that can help with where to snorkel.

www.edenrockdive.com

www.sunsethouse.com

Either site will provide exact information.

As far as Belize, pretty much all snorkeling/diving is from a boat. I did the excursion on Roatan so can't help you there.

Randall

GDay

Cozumel - take a cap to Dzu Hal. We were there on a land-based vacation back in 2004. We rented a car so I don't know how much is the current taxi cost. It was free, there was place where to can buy food or drink. Snorkel was decent, and we saw a lot of tour boat dropped people there for snorkel.

Cayman - Eden Rock is the closest to the pier, you can walk there.

Roatan - take a taxi to West Bay. The best shore snorkeling I had ever experienced. The beach is sandy and calm, swim 30 yard out, both reef and marine life are beautiful. We actually saw people dived there.

Belize - There is no shore snorkeling.

If you like snorkeling, don't miss Roatan if it is one of the stop from your itinerary.

MTV

Grand Cayman- Eden Rock is close but we did some catamaran snorkeling and it was pretty clear water.

Roatan- try Tabyana Beach Wonderful clarity and great atmosphere.

Belize. We had a sail boat pick us up from the ship and go to a small island in the distance. We got to snorkel all the way around the island and it was great.

Cozumel- go to Chankanaab park . Small entrance fee but the snorkeling is really nice. Also Paradis Beach is a quick cab ride from the pier.

We highly recommend Eagle Ray Divers. We were able to snorkel at 3 different areas and had a wonderful lunch.

are on the same cruise, same date and looking to do the same thing. We don't want to do an excursion because we want time to see the island too, not just snorkel. I think we are going diving in Roatan though but snorkeling everywhere else!

In Belize you tender right into town, no beaches anywhere. You can take a water taxi to Ambergus (SP?) Caye. They have all sorts of snorkling there from the beach. Don't go to Caulker Caye which was supposed to be good snorkling - we saw maybe 3 fish! Check out Belize here on cc and google Belize.

Or go cave tubing with Reggie! That is fantastic and Reggie's about 1/2 cost of ship's tour to the same caves, same amount of time. We had 8 including girlfriends of driver and guide. The ship had 30-40! Let me know if you'd like info on this. bonniejns@hotmail.com, subject: cave tubing!

Corki-

We haven't been to Cozumel in a few years, but have taken taxis to Dzul-Ha and to "Corona Beach", near Dzul-Ha, which is good also.....what do you mean by "the money bar" at Dzul-ha? In the past, they only wanted you to buy a drink and give them a little tip to "watch your stuff" while you were in the water...has anything changed? We are going back to Cozumel in August and plan to go to Dzul-Ha again....enjoyed the shore snorkeling there...is Dzul-ha still good, or have the recent hurricanes damaged the reef?

Looks like you have most of the info. All that I can add is for Belize. We took a Fab Tour to Bannister Island which included a boat trip to the reef. Great trip for less than $50. I think that we paid $40 @ but we had our own gear.

Archived