Passages Program/Customer Complaint

STL2006

I'm wondering if some of the fellow posters on here can help me out with this problem.

I was on the Century in February and booked for my wife and I using the Passages Program. We put down $200 and were told that this reserved onboard credit for a future cruise at any time. All that we would have to do at the time of booking the actual cruise would be put down the remaining money to make up the deposit (eg: $300 to make a $500 deposit). I asked several times what happens if we need to cancel the cruise, and was told that the $300 would be refunded, and our $200 would remain in the Passages number for future use. So in effect, no refunding of the initial $200, but refunding of the balance per the normal cruise cancelling guidelines.

I booked last week for a January cruise on Summit, deposited $300 dollar for a total $500 deposit, and AGAIN asked to make sure that (if I cancelled) $300 would be refunded and I would retain the $200 Passages program reservation. I was told this was the case.

Today, I found out that we can't go on the January cruise due to work obligations. I called Celebrity to cancel, and was told that this couldn't be cancelled. They said a Passages reservation can't be converted back once it becomes an active booking. All one can do is keep moving the $500 cruise deposit to a different ship until they want to go on that cruise. So, instead of having $200 to reserve future cruise credits, I now have to keep $500 out there floating indefinitely. I asked the customer service person what my option was, and she said, "Well, you can cancel and lose the $200 Passages, but get your $300 back." I told her that essentially that would cost Celebrity thousands of dollars in cruise revenue for years to come, because I would not be booking with them again. She responded, "Okay, so you want to cancel it then?" Wow, that's great customer service.

Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed. My wife and I both understood the same thing, and I'm trying to see if anyone else has had the same problem, or if I somehow misunderstood the Passages rules (twice??). Secondly, where should I write or call to voice my complaint? This just doesn't seem right to me, and we were very excited about cruising on Celebrity in the future. I am very frustrated, and am wondering just why we put out the $200 in the first places if these are the program rules (despite being told a different story twice, from two different agents). And I NEVER would have booked so soon, if I knew that I'd be keeping $500 out indefinitely if I had to cancel. Can anyone help or give any advice? All advice and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

I am sorry to hear this. Sounds like you are stuck either way you go. I would just book a cruise of short length and get done with it. This is what we did. There is a 2 night cruise in January and we'll be on it.

First mistake we both made, not to get it in writing first! Good luck.

I have to show my ignorance. What is the passages program? I

s it similar to the old future cruise booked while on board and they gave you a certain amount of onboard credit depending upon the length of the cruise? In those days, however, you had to place the entire normal deposit down right then and there,(mine was $900) but were allowed to move it around if you had to cancel, or just wanted to change your plans. You would still keep your onboard credit for whatever cruise you ultimately did take. But if you canceled completely you'd get back your deposit money, and only lose the onboard credit for the cruise you never took. Thanks

The Passages Program is essentially a "placeholder" that doesn't require a specific date to be booked. As it was explained to me (for what that is worth, considering now they've changed their story) a $100 per person deposit reserves the on board ship credit similar to booking a future cruise while on board. The only difference is you don't have to pick a date at that time. So, essentially Celebrity has your $200 deposit (for a couple) and an assumption that you will cruise with them again sometime in the future.

I would urge anyone to beware and get the full stipulations in writing if they try the Passages Program. It just seems to me that it's utterly ridiculous that once you book a cruise, then you can't ever get your deposit back! I completely understand never getting the initial $200 deposit back, that's obvious. I'm certainly not done with this issue. I will continue to try and get this resolved. Barring that, I will cancel my cruise entirely, eat the $200 deposit I already put down, and never cruise with RCCL or Celebrity again. If nothing else, on principle alone. Either that, or it's turn my $200 deposit into a $500 deposit indefinitely (considering we may not be able to get away for at least a year or two). What a joke.

I have to show my ignorance. What is the passages program? I

s it similar to the old future cruise booked while on board and they gave you a certain amount of onboard credit depending upon the length of the cruise? In those days, however, you had to place the entire normal deposit down right then and there,(mine was $900) but were allowed to move it around if you had to cancel, or just wanted to change your plans. You would still keep your onboard credit for whatever cruise you ultimately did take. But if you canceled completely you'd get back your deposit money, and only lose the onboard credit for the cruise you never took. Thanks

Hi Flashdog !

Yes, it is the program Celebrity now uses. You buy a certificate which gives you (in most cases) a smaller onboard credit. The credit is based on price of the cruise, instead of the number of days sailed. They seem to be very complicated. Under the old program, we always booked cruises onboard. Since the new program was introduced, we havent booked onboard since.

To the Original poster : I have never heard of your situation before. If this is actually how it works, I can understand your frustration. I would suggest asking to speak with a Supervisor. Maybe they can be of further assistance, or at the very least give you a better explanation. Please let us know what happens.

I sure wish Celebrity would go back to the old way, as it was far less complicated. I hope Celebrity listens to us.

Thanks, Andy

I guess when we sail in August I'll learn more about it (like what the small onboard credit is). For me it might be substantial because I've been looking at the round the horn cruises to South America. X and RCCL have both been offering free air, sometimes free gratuities and even onboard credit, all for one booking. I assume you can, like before, change the booking to a travel agency that is offering those perks.

I sure wish Celebrity would go back to the old way

I'm proably in the majority, but I hope they keep things the way they are. I think if you are spending more money, you should get a better return.

For instance, if your retailer has a 10% off sale, you will get more money off a $1,000.00 dollar item than a $500.00 item.

I know the vast majority of people would disagree, and feel that the 10 day cruise in a cc or lower categroy should get the same on board credit as the person who books 10 days above cc category. I just dont agree with that.

I'm proably in the majority, but I hope they keep things the way they are. I think if you are spending more money, you should get a better return.

For instance, if your retailer has a 10% off sale, you will get more money off a $1,000.00 dollar item than a $500.00 item.

I know the vast majority of people would disagree, and feel that the 10 day cruise in a cc or lower categroy should get the same on board credit as the person who books 10 days above cc category. I just dont agree with that.

Hi Tbelian !

Its not only about the Onboard Credits. Sure, that's important, but have you ever tried using one of the Certificates ? They are confusing and complicated. My Sister purchased one of them, and when it came time to using the certificate, it took numerous phone calls from myself and my Travel Agent to Captains Club and Customer Service. Eventually, it all worked out fine, but based on past experience, I just cant get excited about them.

My point was, under the old plan, things were much simpler. As you feel it shouldnt be based on days, and you like the new plan better, thats fine. Here is a suggestion : Why not offer the option of choosing either the old or new plan as a perk for Elite Members ? I think that would be a great Captains Club benefit for Celebrity's best customers.

We sailed with Celebrity of this year. We wanted to book an Alaska cruise for 2009 while onboard. We were told dates and prices for 2009 were not available. In order to get OBC, we were told we could put $200 down for the future cruise. When 2009 Alaska dates and prices are released, we can pick our cruise and just put down another $300 for the deposit. I was told that the $500 deposit would be fully refunded if we had to cancel but I would lose the OBC.

I even called Celebrity just the other day to ask again what would happen

if I cancel the 2009 Alaska cruise. I would just lose the OBC.

This bothers me that what I was told may not be true.

I am going to call Celebrity again to find out what is what.

I found my passages program cert. and read the fine print. It states that the deposit is non refundable. Another lesson learned, read the fine print first and listen to the sales person second.

Update on this matter--

I called Celebrity today, and was told that since I needed to cancel the cruise I had made with my Passages number, that I would lose all OBC. That being said, they also told me because I was apparently not told the right information about the program, that my entire $500, including the original $200 for the Passages program was being refunded.

One concerning part to this though, the customer service person said that they could not send me a detail of this through e-mail (odd I thought), but said the $500 was sent to be credited today, and I should be seeing it in the next few days. I'll update as to when/if I see this.

I'm not pleased that I was told incorrect information and that I've lost my OBC, but at least it seems they're trying to reconcile the matter. If this does go through and the situation is resolved, then I will most likely give RCCL and Celebrity another try in the future. We'll see how things go the next few days.

I found my passages program cert. and read the fine print. It states that the deposit is non refundable. Another lesson learned, read the fine print first and listen to the sales person second.

Yes, but who wouldn't take this to mean the original $200 deposit? That's exactly how that fine print was explained to me on board the Century. It says nothing about the deposit you make when you eventually book a cruise. Because, then if you only booked a 3 day cruise, you'd have less of a deposit than someone who books a 10 day cruise. That can't be right. The $200 is non-refundable.

Update on this matter--

I called Celebrity today, and was told that since I needed to cancel the cruise I had made with my Passages number, that I would lose all OBC. That being said, they also told me because I was apparently not told the right information about the program, that my entire $500, including the original $200 for the Passages program was being refunded.

One concerning part to this though, the customer service person said that they could not send me a detail of this through e-mail (odd I thought), but said the $500 was sent to be credited today, and I should be seeing it in the next few days. I'll update as to when/if I see this.

I'm not pleased that I was told incorrect information and that I've lost my OBC, but at least it seems they're trying to reconcile the matter. If this does go through and the situation is resolved, then I will most likely give RCCL and Celebrity another try in the future. We'll see how things go the next few days.

Hi STL !

I am glad to hear that everything seems to have worked out in your favor. It is good to hear that Celebrity did the right thing, and worked with you to resolve the matter. I hope that you consider Celebrity again in the future. Happy Cruising !

My mind is kind of mush from reading the comments in this thread.

But,.........I kind of interpret the above comment as meaning "if you give me $200 now, I will give you a discount on a future Celebrity cruise if you ever decide to take one. I keep the money if you don't decide to go."

During a timeshare promotion session, this is when I would turn to my DW and say something to the effect that we will have to escape from the asylum before we ever come to one of these things again!

I can't believe major cruise lines have resorted to this sort of marketing?

Les

Here is a suggestion : Why not offer the option of choosing either the old or new plan as a perk for Elite Members ? I think that would be a great Captains Club benefit for Celebrity's best customers.

Andy,

THAT is an excellent suggestions. Great idea.

I just carefully looked at my Passages documentation and it only states that this "$100 per person deposit is non-refundable." I only included one name on the booking, hence the $100 deposit.

I would not accept a position where my entire cruise deposit was deemed non-refundable.:mad:

I have not booked a future cruise on Celebrity since they started the "passages program" but I did book on an RCCL cruise where they had the opton of booking a specific cruise with the regular deposit or get a certificate. The certificate had the lower deposit amount and the OBC like the X program. Looking at the information I did notice the non-refundable wording. I went to the loyalty person and booked the cruises I wanted for the higher deposit and went on my way with OBC for a future cruise booking on X. RCCL had both programs going at the same time. Doesn't X still allow the regular direct booking while on board?:confused:

I just carefully looked at my Passages documentation and it only states that this "$100 per person deposit is non-refundable." I only included one name on the booking, hence the $100 deposit.

I would not accept a position where my entire cruise deposit was deemed non-refundable.:mad:

Hi Eightydays !

Neither would I. I still wonder if the OP was misinformed when they initially called Celebrity. I fully accept the first 200.00 not being refundable, as it is clearly stated (and you can always use the first 200.00 towards another Cruise - so its really not lost) but any monies deposited beyond the initial 200.00 should be fully refundable. If that happened to me, I would keep going up the chain, until it was resolved to my satisfaction.

As I have said earlier, this whole program is totally confusing, and that's why I feel that Celebrity should come up with a more simplified plan, AND go back to the old plan too. This way, they would have something for everyone.

I have not booked a future cruise on Celebrity since they started the "passages program" but I did book on an RCCL cruise where they had the opton of booking a specific cruise with the regular deposit or get a certificate. The certificate had the lower deposit amount and the OBC like the X program. Looking at the information I did notice the non-refundable wording. I went to the loyalty person and booked the cruises I wanted for the higher deposit and went on my way with OBC for a future cruise booking on X. RCCL had both programs going at the same time. Doesn't X still allow the regular direct booking while on board?:confused:

Hi Biker !

What you are describing is essentially Celebritys old booking onboard system. They do not offer the old plan on Celebrity right now. You have to admit that it's very odd that you can book a Celebrity Cruise on RCCL, and get the old plan... and on Celebrity you cannot do the same. We have heard this from RCCL passengers for a while, and it makes absolutely no sense to me.

I think I have the solution. I should book a RCCL cruise, so I can get the better onboard booking benefits for Celebrity :)

Is there a link to this program?

If not, could someone please type in what the wording is. I'm not talking about the $200. I'm talking about how the amount of OBC is determined.

As I see it, X is just keeping your $200 in their bank account when you have no cruise booked, and if you don't know up front what your OBC will be, why do it? Thanks

Is there a link to this program?

If not, could someone please type in what the wording is. I'm not talking about the $200. I'm talking about how the amount of OBC is determined.

As I see it, X is just keeping your $200 in their bank account when you have no cruise booked, and if you don't know up front what your OBC will be, why do it? Thanks

Hi Phyllis !

I copied this information from an old Cruise Critic post. I trust it is still accurate. Keep in mind that the figures below are for Cruise fare only (excluding taxes, port, fuel surcharges etc). This is also the total OB credit (not per person). I hope this is helpful.

New OBC Plan:

0- 2499 : 50.00 OB Credit

2500 - 3999 : 100.00 OB Credit

4000 - 5999 : 150.00 OB Credit

6000 - 7499 : 200.00 OB Credit

7500 and above : 300.00 OB Credit

Another update--

Still no sign of the credit that was supposed to have been sent yesterday. But now, there's a $200 charge from Celebrity new on my credit card today!! It's still under temporary authorizations, but that is just really really odd to me. I have no idea what's going on now. I'll just ride this one out and see what happens. Does anyone know of a number I can call to get higher up on the chain? I just keep getting customer service people who sound uneducated about the Passages program and utterly confused as to this situation.

Archived