US Direct

Boxer Lover

We are sailing on Radiance in June. We are saling southbound from Seward and ending in Vancouver. I do not know anything about US direct. Could someone please fill me in on this? Sounds like it could save alot of time.

Thanks

Brenda

You would be able to use a process of US Direct called on-board check-in. The literature for this program is delivered to your stateroom on-board the ship about three days before you arrive in Vancouver. The Radiance of the Seas qualifies for on-board check-in, so the only other criteria would be if the airline you are flying out on qualifies for the program (2008 participating airlines: Air Canada, Air Canada Jazz, United, American, US Airways, Alaska and Horizon Airlines. Other airlines may join the program later in the summer.). Again, this literature is delivered to you on the ship, but you could always ask the purser on-board the Radiance. For on-board check-in you basically check in for your flight (out of YVR) on the ship and leave your luggage outside your stateroom the night before disembarkation. Your bags are then taken directly to the plane from the ship. On-board check-in passengers then disembark the ship separately from all other passengers, clear Canada Customs, and board sealed buses which head directly to the airport. These buses are then received at the airport, the seals are verified and the buses drive into the airport post-security (by the gates). You then enter a special facility, clear security and US Customs (on-board check-in passengers have their own security and US Customs lines). Once past US Customs you are right in the middle of the US gates at YVR (Vancouver International Airport). Hope you all enjoy your cruise!!

scampi, I see that you are sailing out of Vancouver in late September. US Direct may be closed by September 20th. The process of ramp transfer will most likely continue until early October; that is the process where bags that are tagged with cruise line tags are transferred automatically to the ship. Fingers crossed that US Direct will be open, but it all depends on staffing in the month of September, seeing as the US Direct program is staffed by college and university students who work for the airport. Additionally, many other stakeholders, ie. Customs, Cruise Lines, Security must also agree to remain open into September. Enjoy your cruise!!

I found this website which outlines the Cruise Lines and Airlines participating in the program. It also describes the process for Port to Airport and the one of interest to us, that of Airport to Port::

http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/infoPassengers/usDirect.html

My suggestion that with this information you contact your cruise line. A lot of the call centre agents don't know about it so you may need to speak to a senior person in the call centre...the trick is not to take no for an answer.

Thank you both, Putterdude and YVRCruisin for the information regarding the possibility that the US Direct program might end before Sept. 20th :(

I hope that we can take advantage of the program. This will be the first time that we arrive on the day of a cruise but it couldn't be helped. I'd feel better to know that both we & our luggage would be whisked directly to the ship.

I sent off an e-mail to the contact that was listed on that Port of Vancouver link customer_service@portvancouver.com to find out if the program will continue through the end of the Alaskan cruising season. If I get a reply, I'll post the information here. I'll also contact my TA & RCCL to see what they say.

Received a personal e-mail today from Customer Service. They directed me to a phone number with Gateway Services. (604.251.3500) They forwarded me to an Alison who was very helpful. She said our question about "would the program continue to the end of the cruise season?" was an excellent one. Her answer was at this time they do not know but they will know more in August. In the meantime the important things to remember are (regardless if the US Direct program continues to the end of cruise season are:)

1) Make sure you have a prepaid transfer & have registered all your passport information, & all other information online with ones cruiseline & have your boarding passes, etc. (That speeds up ones entry process through customs, etc.)

2) Place the filled out Cruiseline Tags on your bags BEFORE you check them in at the airport. (The luggage arriving at YVR with Cruiseline Tags are loaded onto a special ramp for delivery to the Cruiseline).

Most of this information was already given by dcpyvr. Thank you!

Archived