Baltimore Get Ready!!

Legend

[quote name='barante']No offense intended. Done that myself on the Galaxy, when Celebrity used to sail out of Baltimore. My point is an economic/time issue. While I love sea days, lots of other people don't.
Back to Bermuda. We absolutely, totally loved the place. It wasn't even on our cruising agenda until we realized that all lines were going to drop Hamilton, which was spectacular because the ship was right there on Front Street. Nothing wrong with King's Wharf; as a matter of fact I think it's a wonderful port.
Anyway, we hope to repeat the Bermuda trip in the future. But why would I take it from Baltimore when the effective land stay is only a day and a half. The best thing about Bermuda was that we were in the same place three nights. We could come and go without worrying about missing the ship.[/quote]

None taken barante! I guess those day and half trips in Bermuda are less than 7 day trips total. My DH and I took the Miracle and went to Key West, Nassau, and Freeport and 3 sea days from Baltimore. It was a 7 day trip. Perhaps the cruiseline should do a 7 day to Bermuda. I haven't been there but would like to go sometime.

Please consider it. We just wanted a cheap seven-day cruise in September. Found a deal on the old NCL Crown, $525 pp, including fees and taxes. We were willing to go inside but for that money we got a cabin with two port holes.
The Crown was one funky ship, about to be sold to Europe where was modernized and expanded (literally they added 77 feet to its length). We had a Cruise Critic meeting with three couples. The captain came, the hotel manager came.
On the last sea day, the captain invited the six of us to the bridge. We spent 45 minutes there talking about megaships (he thought they were a mistake because many interesting South American ports have to be skipped because of their size) to what different owners had done to his ship in terms of design alterations. The end result, which an European shipyard tried to erase, was quite bizarre).
We loved the cruise, one of the most relaxing we have taken. On the final night the six of us had dinner together.
The reason to go to Bermuda is definitely the island itself, not a cruiseline.

[quote name='barante']Please consider it. We just wanted a cheap seven-day cruise in September. Found a deal on the old NCL Crown, $525 pp, including fees and taxes. We were willing to go inside but for that money we got a cabin with two port holes.
The Crown was one funky ship, about to be sold to Europe where was modernized and expanded (literally they added 77 feet to its length). We had a Cruise Critic meeting with three couples. The captain came, the hotel manager came.
On the last sea day, the captain invited the six of us to the bridge. We spent 45 minutes there talking about megaships (he thought they were a mistake because many interesting South American ports have to be skipped because of their size) to what different owners had done to his ship in terms of design alterations. The end result, which an European shipyard tried to erase, was quite bizarre).
We loved the cruise, one of the most relaxing we have taken. On the final night the six of us had dinner together.
The reason to go to Bermuda is definitely the island itself, not a cruiseline.[/quote]

Sounds like a great time! The only time I got on the bridge was on my first cruise and I got a private tour when we stayed the night in Nassau. It was pretty cool! Wish you could still go on the bridge, but I guess that's in the past. I have some very good friends who just took their personal sailboat from Deale, MD and stayed a couple of weeks in Bermuda. They just left last Wednesday and are on their way to the Azores and then on to the Med for a couple of years. I may go visit them if they hit a port over there that I would like to visit.

By the way -- how, or where, do they add 77 feet to a ship? Cut it down the middle???:confused:

Here is CC reporting on the old Norwegian Crown after it joined Fred. Olsen:

Fred. Olsen's Balmoral, which joined the fleet in January 2008, represents a new age and a new era for the venerable cruise line. With this ship, the company, which has traditionally focused on a rather formal cruise experience for mostly British passengers, announced not only that it would actively welcome North Americans but also that the ship itself would feature a somewhat more modern onboard ambience than the staid Fred. Olsen vessel.

The ship most recently sailed as the 34,242-ton, 1,078-passenger Norwegian Crown for Norwegian Cruise Line. It was built in 1988. Prior to launching Balmoral, Fred. Olsen invested in the most extensive refurbishment and upgrade in the cruise line's history: Its exterior was cut open and a new 100-ft. midsection was inserted, adding new balconied cabins and public rooms to the now 43,000-ton, 1,348-passenger ship. Fred. Olsen has taken another daring step by posting Balmoral in the Caribbean -- sailing from Miami -- for its first season. It spends the summer in Europe, fall and early winter in the Canaries and West Africa and then begins 2009 by sailing a world cruise.

[quote name='barante']Here is CC reporting on the old Norwegian Crown after it joined Fred. Olsen:

Fred. Olsen's Balmoral, which joined the fleet in January 2008, represents a new age and a new era for the venerable cruise line. With this ship, the company, which has traditionally focused on a rather formal cruise experience for mostly British passengers, announced not only that it would actively welcome North Americans but also that the ship itself would feature a somewhat more modern onboard ambience than the staid Fred. Olsen vessel.

The ship most recently sailed as the 34,242-ton, 1,078-passenger Norwegian Crown for Norwegian Cruise Line. It was built in 1988. Prior to launching Balmoral, Fred. Olsen invested in the most extensive refurbishment and upgrade in the cruise line's history: Its exterior was cut open and a new 100-ft. midsection was inserted, adding new balconied cabins and public rooms to the now 43,000-ton, 1,348-passenger ship. Fred. Olsen has taken another daring step by posting Balmoral in the Caribbean -- sailing from Miami -- for its first season. It spends the summer in Europe, fall and early winter in the Canaries and West Africa and then begins 2009 by sailing a world cruise.[/quote]

Interesting. It's amazing what they can do these days!!:)

Sailed the down the Chesapeake on the Galaxy out of Baltimore 5 years ago. It WAS neat sliding under the Bay Bridge but frankly most of the trip was in the evening/dark since we didn't get underway until 6pm. If I am on the waters of the Chesapeake I prefer it to be in a vessel I am driving (or skiing behind, or lounging on ;)).

Also, on that trip, which was 10 days and did interesting Western Caribbean ports....it was NOT so fabulous once we got OUT of the Chesapeake. The Atlantic was ROUGH - waking us up out of a sound sleep at 4am - until we got around Hatteras. Also, since it was September and a bit windy (Hurricane Isabel was thinking about hitting Annapolis in a few days), the water in the pools was FREEZING until we got down around Florida so that 1st sea day was a bit of a bust for us.

While we like the IDEA of cruising out of Baltimore, there were a lot of things in actuality that were not fab. Now that BWI is a major Southwest hub, you can keep your eyes peeled and get to just about any Florida port for a reasonable amount of money so we prefer to do that.

[quote name='Legend']I posted this under the 2009 shuffle but hey it really deserves a post all its own. The Carnival Pride is changing her Panama Canal destination and she will end in Baltimore. She is then doing the Bermuda cruise from there and then.......well you will just have to stay tuned for further updates on her whereabouts!![/quote]
The Pride is my favorite ship (my first) and I'd love to have her so close. This would be fabulous!!!!!

Well, I might consider sailing from Baltimore if it was to Bermuda, but not to the Bahamas! I can get to Jacksonville just about as quickly, do the 5-day (as I'm doing in December) for lots less money than a 7-day.

Now, if they want to put a ship in Norfolk, that would be fine with me! Or Charleston!

C'mon, Carnival! Give us some more options!

We tried to book a group cruise on the Pride out of Miami and were told they were not taking any group bookings until further notice. Everyone was very tight lipped about what was going on. I was waiting to see if I saw any postings about this. This is the first one. Not sure which ship will go to Miami now.

[quote name='BambiRumsey']Sailed the down the Chesapeake on the Galaxy out of Baltimore 5 years ago. It WAS neat sliding under the Bay Bridge but frankly most of the trip was in the evening/dark since we didn't get underway until 6pm. If I am on the waters of the Chesapeake I prefer it to be in a vessel I am driving (or skiing behind, or lounging on ;)).

Also, on that trip, which was 10 days and did interesting Western Caribbean ports....it was NOT so fabulous once we got OUT of the Chesapeake. The Atlantic was ROUGH - waking us up out of a sound sleep at 4am - until we got around Hatteras. Also, since it was September and a bit windy (Hurricane Isabel was thinking about hitting Annapolis in a few days), the water in the pools was FREEZING until we got down around Florida so that 1st sea day was a bit of a bust for us.

While we like the IDEA of cruising out of Baltimore, there were a lot of things in actuality that were not fab. Now that BWI is a major Southwest hub, you can keep your eyes peeled and get to just about any Florida port for a reasonable amount of money so we prefer to do that.[/quote]

You must have been on the same cruise my sister and her DH went on. They went on the Galaxy about that time and said the Atlantic was very rough, both coming and going! We went out of Baltimore in May, and the weather and the Atlantic were beautiful. Of course, we have gone south out of NYC (in July and October) and have found the Atlantic pretty good, although maybe our idea of rough water is not like alot of others ideas! You are right about Southwest, in fact we are flying them in July to get to the Liberty! :D

[quote name='MelBCroozer']We tried to book a group cruise on the Pride out of Miami and were told they were not taking any group bookings until further notice. Everyone was very tight lipped about what was going on. I was waiting to see if I saw any postings about this. This is the first one. Not sure which ship will go to Miami now.[/quote]

Interesting! Another poster said the same thing a couple of days ago.

I find it interesting that the FAQs on carnival.com provide directions to the port of Baltimore. [URL]http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Cruise_Ship_Terminals_Parking_Direction_Port_of_Baltimore.aspx[/URL]

Has this always been there?

[quote name='MD34']I find it interesting that the FAQs on carnival.com provide directions to the port of Baltimore. [URL]http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Cruise_Ship_Terminals_Parking_Direction_Port_of_Baltimore.aspx[/URL]

Has this always been there?[/quote]

I believe that was on there when the Miracle was in Baltimore in 2004. I think it's just something they haven't removed since it is the directions to the old terminal where the Miracle was docked. The new terminal is a little south of that one.

Actually Carnival does have a ship in Norfolk next year. We're booked on the Triumph to the Bahamas-6 night cruise-May 31st of 2009.

We've done this one before several years ago on the Victory and it was great!

[quote name='MarylandLady']I'm clinking right there with you Ms. Belvedere!!!:D :) :p You are so right about planes these days -- horrible![/quote]

Make that 3 of us [IMG]http://creditboards.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/good.gif[/IMG]! With the airlines nickel and dimin' us too, I would definitely prefer to sail out of Baltimore!

[quote name='cuyahoga11']I may be a ditz but why would you want Port Canaveral as a port of call?[/quote]

When I did a 9 night out of B'more on RCCL, the Pt. Canaveral run is used as a major reprovisioning stop. Since the ship is alternating 2 itineraries that would be my guess for the reason for this stop.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how realistic Grand Turk is in three days. On Grandeur, it took us 48 hours to reach Miami at a decent speed. Pretty much it takes either a short jaunt out to Bermuda or at least 8 nights to get anywhere much further south. My 9 night itin was leave Friday @ 4, dock in Miami Sunday @ 4, dock in Key West Monday @ 8, tender in Cozumel Tuesday @ 8, dock in Costa Maya Wednesday @ 8, day @ sea, dock in Pt. Canaveral Friday @ 8, sea day, dock in B'more Sunday @7. I don't know how much they could cut out and not be rockin' that ship:eek: JMO

I've been on the Grandeur out of Baltimore twice on a 9 night Caribbean. We left at 4 P.M. on a Thursday, were at sea Friday and Sat. and arrived in San Juan at 2 p.m. on Sunday.

I love the sea days and don't mind 2 days at all. Love sailing from Baltimore and also from Norfolk.

[quote name='crookedhalo']When I did a 9 night out of B'more on RCCL, the Pt. Canaveral run is used as a major reprovisioning stop. Since the ship is alternating 2 itineraries that would be my guess for the reason for this stop.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how realistic Grand Turk is in three days. On Grandeur, it took us 48 hours to reach Miami at a decent speed. Pretty much it takes either a short jaunt out to Bermuda or at least 8 nights to get anywhere much further south. My 9 night itin was leave Friday @ 4, dock in Miami Sunday @ 4, dock in Key West Monday @ 8, tender in Cozumel Tuesday @ 8, dock in Costa Maya Wednesday @ 8, day @ sea, dock in Pt. Canaveral Friday @ 8, sea day, dock in B'more Sunday @7. I don't know how much they could cut out and not be rockin' that ship:eek: JMO[/quote]

Hey Crook! How's it going! The Lifer's miss you - stop by and say hello!

I really hope this happens - we'd sail from Baltimore in a heartbeat if it meant not hassling with airlines. Norfolk would be good, too - I just wish there were more options than the 6 day bahamas (and more time slots - June and mid-October don't work great with DH's work schedule.) Would be nice to see them do a couple months in the summer/fall from each port - Baltimore and Norfolk. Seems like they could easily do June/July from one port and then August/September from the other.

[quote name='dixieva']I've been on the Grandeur out of Baltimore twice on a 9 night Caribbean. We left at 4 P.M. on a Thursday, were at sea Friday and Sat. and arrived in San Juan at 2 p.m. on Sunday.[/quote]

[COLOR=darkgreen]I wonder how long the stop at Grand Turk would be? Not too long I'd bet;) [/COLOR]

[quote name='vacruizer']Hey Crook! How's it going! The Lifer's miss you - stop by and say hello!

I really hope this happens - we'd sail from Baltimore in a heartbeat if it meant not hassling with airlines. Norfolk would be good, too - I just wish there were more options than the 6 day bahamas (and more time slots - June and mid-October don't work great with DH's work schedule.) Would be nice to see them do a couple months in the summer/fall from each port - Baltimore and Norfolk. Seems like they could easily do June/July from one port and then August/September from the other.[/quote]

Hi right back at you! I've been keeping tabs on you guys...still sad that I can't join you. DH is making it up to me by taking me to the Keys this summer.:) Everything has been going good so far (hoping it stays that way:p ). My branch has been pushed back to September now...so I probably could have made the trip...grrrrr! Oh well, the way the economy is going, it would be hard to justify 5 to 6k for a trip this year:cool: I too would love more options out of driveable ports...but the prices are soo high from B'more & Norfolk - guess they figure they have a 'captive' audience without too many choices, huh? Say Hey to everyone for me...I'll pop in to say bye for y'all leave:)

[quote name='BambiRumsey']Sailed the down the Chesapeake on the Galaxy out of Baltimore 5 years ago. It WAS neat sliding under the Bay Bridge but frankly most of the trip was in the evening/dark since we didn't get underway until 6pm. If I am on the waters of the Chesapeake I prefer it to be in a vessel I am driving (or skiing behind, or lounging on ;)).

While we like the IDEA of cruising out of Baltimore, there were a lot of things in actuality that were not fab. Now that BWI is a major Southwest hub, you can keep your eyes peeled and get to just about any Florida port for a reasonable amount of money so we prefer to do that.[/quote]

I love cruising out of Baltimore. It is only 45 mins from my house. I was saddened when I saw the Grandeur was going to spend most of the summer leaving from Norfolk. It is still drivable, but not as convenient. It is fun to see people's reaction when the ship goes under the Bay Bridge when they have not witnessed it before. The waters can be a little rough along the East Coast, but it is hit or miss. My first cruise (out of Baltimore), we followed a Hurricane and on my second cruise we hit a Noreaster coming back.

[quote name='Legend']Believe me or believe me not but here's what the itineraries are planned to be.

Day Port of Call
SUN BALTIMORE, MD
MON FUN DAY AT SEA
TUE FUN DAY AT SEA
WED GRAND TURK
THU HALF MOON CAY, BAHAMAS
FRI FREEPORT, BAHAMAS
SAT FUN DAY AT SEA
SUN BALTIMORE, MD

and alternating with

SUN BALTIMORE, MD
MON FUN DAY AT SEA
TUE FUN DAY AT SEA
WED PORT CANAVERAL (ORLANDO), FL
THU NASSAU, BAHAMAS
FRI FREEPORT, BAHAMAS
SAT FUN DAY AT SEA
SUN BALTIMORE, MD

Sorry I don't appear to be the Cruise God that Wennfred is but there ya go eh.[/quote]

Kudos, Legend. This is now confirmed in a Carnival press release today (June 5). I know where to go the next time I need some advance word on new home ports/itineraries. Oh wait - I need it now - where will Dream be sailing when she comes to Port Canaveral ???? :D :D

[quote name='Legend']Believe me or believe me not but here's what the itineraries are planned to be.

Day Port of Call
SUN BALTIMORE, MD
MON FUN DAY AT SEA
TUE FUN DAY AT SEA
WED GRAND TURK
THU HALF MOON CAY, BAHAMAS
FRI FREEPORT, BAHAMAS
SAT FUN DAY AT SEA
SUN BALTIMORE, MD

and alternating with

SUN BALTIMORE, MD
MON FUN DAY AT SEA
TUE FUN DAY AT SEA
WED PORT CANAVERAL (ORLANDO), FL
THU NASSAU, BAHAMAS
FRI FREEPORT, BAHAMAS
SAT FUN DAY AT SEA
SUN BALTIMORE, MD

Sorry I don't appear to be the Cruise God that Wennfred is but there ya go eh.[/quote]

[B][COLOR=blue]Thank you Legend! You were right on target with this news and I am so very thrilled about it.[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#0000ff]Thanks for taking the heat from some here and thanks for keeping us informed.[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#0000ff]Hugs[/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='Wennfred']Its not going to happen guys, Baltimore pissed off Carnival long ago. Thats why they haven't been back since. From the News Clip I posted a month or 2 ago, it was the worst cruise terminal in the Nation with people having to use port-a-potty outdoors etc.

I know they have a new cruise terminal since but I highly doubt Carnival will return after that last fiasco.

No news about it here: [url]http://carnival-news.com/[/url]

Fred[/QUOTE]
Would you like to put in another quarter and try again? [url]http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/carnival-cruise-lines-to-introduce/n20080605115009990015[/url]

Archived