Fuel surcharge

Whale Shark

Hi, wondering if anyone can help me out on this.

I booked a CelebX cruise 2 years ago while on another CelebX cruise. Now I've upgraded myself as prices have come down recently but I'm now being charged an extra US$120 as fuel surcharge.

I read somewhere in CC that Celebrity will not charge this the reservation was made before there were any fuel surcharges. I went back to my agent to say precisely this but was told that it applies as I have changed my booking (upgraded myself). Anyone had similar experiences?

If your booking number hasn't changed, I can't see why they are charging you. When you say upgraded, did you cancel the booking and rebook or just change categories.

Just for your own information, If you kept your old booking # I would call X without giving them too much info, tell them you made a booking before the fuel surcharge, but want to upgrade your cabin. Ask if you would have to pay the surcharge. I don't think so, but this way you can verify what your agent is telling you vs what X is saying. Might even help to call Captain's Club instead. They tend to give better service

Do you have the same booking # after the upgrade, or has that been changed?

It sounds as though your agent cancelled your first booking and rebooked you with the upgraded cabin.

If you do, in fact, have the same booking # as before, you should not be getting charged for the fuel surcharge.

Reading your previous post, it looks like you have a new booking number. So unfortunately to get the new cabin you lose your OBC and get a fuel surcharge.. If you and your TA was able to cancel the hold on the upgrade, cancel and grab it with your old booking number, you should be good.

Good Luck

If it's your original booking number, I don't think there should be a surcharge.

My suggestion is to email Celebrity about it, specifically stating that you did not cancel the original booking, but that you upgraded your cabin & kept your original booking #. When you get Celebrity's response (which I'm assuming will be in your favor), forward it to your TA.

Don't know if this helps, we booked onboard last year and are using a voucher for the sailing taking place this July. We had the deposit in, but applied the voucher more recently. We were told the surcharge will be charged to us because even though we had booked we had not made final payment before the policy went into effect.

My experience was different. We booked a cruise before the fuel charges and had to change the cruise from Europe to Alaska. Totally different location. I did not want to lose any of the onboard credits that were due me so I insisted that the reservation number be the same. The supervisor at Celebrity was able to do that for me. At first they tried to add on the fuel charges, but I questioned them. At first they told me it would be deducted from the final payment when it was made. I insisted that they take it off immediately as I knew that I was going to move the reservation over to an online agency. They did without much problem. You should not be charged the fuel charges. Your agent should be informed of this.

Der

Don't know if this helps, we booked onboard last year and are using a voucher for the sailing taking place this July. We had the deposit in, but applied the voucher more recently. We were told the surcharge will be charged to us because even though we had booked we had not made final payment before the policy went into effect.

A friend of ours had the same situation and was told they were not exempt because they had not paid the full DEPOSIT until they made the booking. It did not have anything to do with final payment.

A friend of ours had the same situation and was told they were not exempt because they had not paid the full DEPOSIT until they made the booking. It did not have anything to do with final payment.

You go girl!!!

It's right. Full deposit had to be done before they announced the surcharge

Archived