General Immersion Thread (merged)

Would you cruise an immerson cruise?  

493 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise an immerson cruise?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - It depends how much I know about how the cruise will differ from regular cruises.

While I'm generally up for anything once, many days of it could be too much. I know I don't much care for British food. We don't really go to shows, but if some of the tv we get here billed as British comedy, I don't much care for that, either.

The food would swing it for me. Show me a menu and tell me how it's prepared. If I can get things I know I'll like and want that itinerary, sure, why not? If I wasn't otherwise interested in that itinerary, immersion would not compel me to book it.

Asian? Same deal, but not so much a problem with the food - I'm not a sushi fan but can pack away a lot of other goodies. One thing I know from Japanese roommates years ago, I won't be ordering the gelatin with cinnamon on it. Tink Knox - plain, unflavored, Clear. Not cinnamon Sugar, but just cinnamon, the relatively bitter spice. blech ; (

Onboard experience means very little to me. The sea and the ports are the big thing.

One thing is a British immersion...at least you'll know what is going on...another is an Asian immersion....

We were just informed that our cruise Feb, 2009 Singapore to Shanghai will be an Asian immersion...all in Chinese!

:( :( :( :( :( :(

We are still wondering what to do...

um, we don't all ask our husbands that.

LOL, it wasnt the fact that she asked him if he wanted to go to the toilet, it was that she called it ''potty'' In the UK a potty is a small plastic bowl type thing that toddlers use to toilet train on - it just seemed odd asking a grown man if he wanted to use the potty (envision a grown man on a toddlers toilet traing aid) :D :D :D It was only after we heard lots of people calling the toilet potty that we realised what they meant!

Already have.

Have cruised freighters twice...29 days and 26 days.

First one was German officers and mostly Philippine crew.

Second was Italian officers and mixed crew.

NOthing strange about it at all.

In addition, have taken several European River and Barge cruises...one on which I was the only English speaker....at least native English.

It's really no big deal at all. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

thanks, in that case I have just packed a pair for my cruise on Navigator in the Med this Saturday :)

My kids call them pedalpushers, Iv always just called them ''three quaters'':)

What!

Have we Americans lost our taste for adventure and exploration?

Why would anyone object to a so-called "immersion" experience. We share this world with many cultures.....

Experienced cruisers know that you can get just about anything you want from the dining room. If you prefer more western meals, let them know ahead of time and confirm it with the Maitre'd when you board.

I'm sure announcements will be made in the "immersion" language and English.

I don't get this aversion some of us have to other peoples cultures.....

I think this argument could go on forever. Half would say that an immersion cruise is not the experience they anticipated when they paid for the cruise. Half will say that it is a chance to experience a new culture, etc. There is no "correct" side to be on. Every cruiser is entitled to the vacation that they dream of and have been envisioning for months.

It is certainly not unreasonable to cancel your cruise if you discovered it was an immersion cruise. I think I would do the same after reading all of the above. I would have no problems with the food, but I think the relative lack of other cruisers to communicate with would lessen my experience. If the excursions were not in English, I would feel like I was missing out.

Some people may look to this as an exciting opportunity to live another culture for a week or two. I would not. I prefer my cruise vacation to be what I see on the Royal Caribbean 'Get Out There' commercials. An Asian immersion is not what I anticipate.

I think it is a bit unfair of RCCL to change a cruise based on the clientele that have paid for the cruise. If people cancel, do they get their deposit back? Do they give some kind of compensation for the necessary changes that would have to be made in airfare?

What!

Why would anyone object to a so-called "immersion" experience. We share this world with many cultures.....

Experienced cruisers know that you can get just about anything you want from the dining room. If you prefer more western meals' date=' let them know ahead of time and confirm it with the Maitre'd when you board.

I don't get this aversion some of us have to other peoples cultures.....[/quote']

For me it wouldn't be so much a problem with being immersed as spending a tremendous amount of money and then not being able to enjoy the entertainment or tours because I couldn't understand the language.

I must admit, I am a little surprised by the negative reactions to a British immersion cruise. Same language, same general food (though I would love a yorkshire pudding with my roast beef in the dining room). I can only see this as something for the better- I'm sure they would bring on better beer and perhaps we could get a deccent cup of tea onboard:D

We just finished a 14-day on the Serenade and I loved meeting all the English, Scots and Irish. They were always cheerful and outgoing. The only complainers we met were Americans (which I wouldn't mind if they would do it quietly, without constantly bugging any staff member they meet or disrupting the peace and quiet of the ship), so in my opinion- British immersion- bring it on!

I can see where a cruise with an unknown language, such as Chinese or Portuguese could be a little intimidating. Sure puts it into perspective for those who cruise on American itineraries and don't speak the language, doesn't it?

Cheers,

What!

Experienced cruisers know that you can get just about anything you want from the dining room. If you prefer more western meals' date=' let them know ahead of time and confirm it with the Maitre'd when you board.

I don't get this aversion some of us have to other peoples cultures.....[/quote']

I agree with you. Reading the first post I was thinking what a wonderful opportunity it would be to be on one of these cruises! Isn't that what international travel is all about is to experience the different cultures?? I could not image flying to Asia or Europe just to board an American ship as if I was still in the United States.

One thing is a British immersion...at least you'll know what is going on...another is an Asian immersion....

We were just informed that our cruise Feb, 2009 Singapore to Shanghai will be an Asian immersion...all in Chinese!

:( :( :( :( :( :(

We are still wondering what to do...

I doubt many folks realized this if they booked a while back, but Legend is essentially there to target and cater specifically to the Asian - and not the North American - market. Royal Caribbean has been forced to diversify, and this is just one example.

I wouldn't mind a british immersion but I would be ticked if I booked and then they switched it on me. I think RCCL has been doing one too many changes lately.

Now the Asian immersion - heck no. I can't believe there are 18 people that voted yes to an all chinese cruise. :eek:

The British immersion cruise sounds fun. It would be amusing to see their interpretation of British culture. If they serve food that the British actually eat it will be very tasty. Some of the best food I've had was in London. I would take the Asian tour if it was in a language I knew a little of, or in a language I wanted to learn.

Now the Asian immersion - heck no. I can't believe there are 18 people that voted yes to an all chinese cruise. :eek:

I was one of them. Dim sum, five-spice ribs, etc. in lieu of burgers and meatloaf sounds great to me. I've been studying Mandarin for about seven months, so I think I'd have a good time even if I did manage to mangle their language.

快樂游弋!

What!

I agree with you. Reading the first post I was thinking what a wonderful opportunity it would be to be on one of these cruises! Isn't that what international travel is all about is to experience the different cultures?? I could not image flying to Asia or Europe just to board an American ship as if I was still in the United States.

It's not a matter of missed opportunities or aversion to other cultures. The simple point is when you book a cruise on a ship that is basically an American operation, the customer EXPECTS the ship to function all over the world just as it does in American waters. I certainly would have NEVER thought RCI would do this immersion thing. It never crossed my mind.

I am now worried about my cruise on Brilliance next year to Greece, Egypt, Tunisia, Cyprus, etc. I have not chosen to cruise on a Greek Ship or an Egyptian ship. I have chosen to be within a familiar environment that feels secure to me. In other words, I don't want to hear "There's a fire onboard. Get on your life jacket" in Greek or Egyptian. I want to hear it in English right away. I don't want to sit around wondering why everyone is rushing around because someone gave out a warning in Greek that I could not understand.

In NO way do I have an aversion to other people's cultures. I love traveling in foreign countries. I don't even mind going out on my own. But at the end of the day, I chose to book on a ship where I am going to be spoken to in my native tongue and where my meals are going to be what I'm used to getting. It's a comfort thing. I don't want extra stress on a cruise. I don't want to get sick from eating things I'm unfamiliar with. If I wanted complete immersion, I certainly wouldn't be planning on going to Egypt on a cruise ship. I"d be out there with the big boys sailing down the Nile in a large Felluca and getting sick as a dog from eating the local food.

I've been on the Brilliance of the Seas quite a few times in Europe and on Transatlantics already. I think the Brilliance is part of the U.K operation and now I wonder if they plan to do the British immersion thing.

In the end, if RCI can fill up their ships without Americans, more power to them. But RCI is going to have to listen to what the customers want or they'll be sailing half-empty in foreign ports. On every European cruise I've ever been on (maybe 8 or so), the vast majority of cruisers have been American. I think on my Transatlantic cruise last month, there were 1900 Americans, 150 Canadians, and the rest from various countries.

I'm a little long-winded here, but I'd like to get across the point that if you want to go to Asia and be immersed, book that cruise on an Asian vessel.

Archived