General Immersion Thread (merged)

Would you cruise an immerson cruise?  

493 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise an immerson cruise?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - It depends how much I know about how the cruise will differ from regular cruises.

WOW... This is the first day I have heard all this! Wow... I am not sure how I feel about it all...

I do know that one of the reasons that I cruise is so that I can experience the culture of new countries WITHOUT total immersion. I know that I don't like Asian food, what-so-ever, and that is the one reason I would choose a cruise to Asia over a land tour. Paying a ton more money to do so... I really think RCCL is making a big mistake here. I don't care about the language on board... or the crew... I love meeting all the people from different parts of the world, but I think that many people travel so that they can still have a part of their vacation in a familiar venue.

And it IS a big deal... maybe not to some, but the vacation was booked and paid for under different expectations. While they don't matter to the people who say "what's the big deal" it does matter to those of us who paid a lot of money for a different style of vacation. I could take a land trip for a lot less money if I wanted 100% immersion... and I would have OOODLES more flexibility that way. I could go to the places for as long as I wanted... and not go to those "filler" stops... And sleep in something bigger than a glorified closet... I think they are going to lose some people here. Hopefully they make it up with all the locals.

It definitely make me think twice about about the thousands and thousands of dollars that I will spend on my Legend cruise next year going through Italy. Although, if I was going to experience 100% immersion, this would be the place I would rather do it in the form of food... but... I can do that on land for a LOT less money and spend my time exactly where I want to spend it... and do it on the dates that work the best for me.

However any of you feel about it, I am so thankful for this board for clueing me in before I spend some money on a nonrefundable apartment in Rome for a week pre-cruise that I was just going to do... UGGG!!! This is one of the reasons I loved cruising Europe... NOW, I have to decide if it is worth the risk, or maybe try another cruise line??? Dangit!!!

Thanks though... for the heads up!

You know, you are right insofar as getting the real story. You can talk to four reps and get four different answers. I'll be interested to hear what other board members hear from RCL. It's just so disappointing for some cruisers to have their dream vacation ruined like this.

And I know that some cruisers are thrilled by the decision to "immerse", but frankly, I would not be. I don't think the British immersion will cause that much disappointment, I could be wrong, but, say, an Asian or Greek one? Yes, it would absolutely ruin my plans and I would cancel.

RCL - what were you thinking??????

I actually think that it would have been a better idea to tailor the "immersion" food, etc. to the ports visited. It is always a treat to go ashore and sample the local food while learning about the country's culture. That would benefit all of the passengers who chose that part of the world to visit. Any other thoughts?

Clotted cream is a thick yellow cream made by heating unpasteurized cow's milk and then leaving it in shallow pans for several hours. During this time, the cream content rises to the surface and forms 'clots'. Clotted cream purists prefer the milk to come from cows in the West Country, mainly from Devon and Cornwal

jj....

for us it was a phone call. imagine how many calls they've made???

i too am awaiting some response from a cruiser who has been through immersion. this concept is apparently very new for rccl.

as dr. phil would say, "what were they thinking????"

What!

Have we Americans lost our taste for adventure and exploration?

Why would anyone object to a so-called "immersion" experience. We share this world with many cultures.....

Experienced cruisers know that you can get just about anything you want from the dining room. If you prefer more western meals' date=' let them know ahead of time and confirm it with the Maitre'd when you board.

I'm sure announcements will be made in the "immersion" language and English.

I don't get this aversion some of us have to other peoples cultures.....[/quote']

I think you may be a little off base when you refer to an aversion. I was on a tour in Thailand and one of the couples was French - and they spoke no English. They were miserble the whole trip and wanted their money back (they had been told the guide spoke both English and French - he didn't). They were not adverse to cultural exchanges - it was just that they couldn't do any cultural exchanges because they couldn't talk to anybody. Try sitting at a table for 8 when the other 6 people can't speak to you because you don't know the language. I guess you could always eat by yourself for 14 days;) Or hopefully find other couples who speak your language - but what a hassle!

While they may have ESL announcements on the ship - your dining and shore excursions could wind up like the French couple.

I wrote it down word for word from their in house 'help' system as the CSR read it to me:

On these particular sailings, there are a high percentage of guests who are sourced from outside of North America. They have been sold almost exclusively to guests from specific regions of the world, and many of the services and products onboard have been tailored to meet the needs of those guests. These include onboard programming, food & beverage, retail items onboard, and entertainment. Additionally, the primary language used onboard will, in some cases, be the local language.

Cruises affected:

Legend - Asian immersion

Enchantment, Vision and Splendour - Latin American immersion

Jewel and Vison - Scandanavian immersion

Independence - British immersion

Hope that is not the case for the New England cruise on Jewel

question to the poster who asked how many threads do we need about this subject? how much of your money has already been invested into an immersion cruise? just curious, not trying to be mean at all.

uh, let me change my question. how much of your time AND money has been invested into an immersion cruise? and like i said earlier, not trying to be mean, just curious.

I clarify my initial post as this is obviously causing confusion - the immersion is when the cruise is sailing from a specific area -so therefore when Legend is in Asia it will be an Asian immersion cruise....

Cruises affected:

Legend in Asia - Asian immersion

Enchantment, Vision and Splendour from Colon or Santa Dominingo - Latin American immersion

Jewel and Vision - from Stockholm/Oslo - Scandanavian immersion

Independence from Southampton - British immersion

Hope that is not the case for the New England cruise on Jewel

Jewel is sailing from New England so will be a Boston bean immersion cruise perhaps...?!

I went on Independence on 6th May and there were 3500 people on board and 3300 of them were from britain.

I met loads of nice people and i didn't notice any moaners or wingers so i really can't see what this issue is with going on holiday with people from yuor own country or is this just a British thing?

Next year we will probably be doing a cruise from Miami which will be filled i imagine with Americans and that doesn't bother me at all so can't see why it bothers some but there you go.

I've been following this whole "British Immersion" thing on another thread and here is my two penn'arth (that'll confuse the yanks lol)..

Personally I'm fine with the food options (well I would be I'm English). That doesn't worry me much at all.

Where I am slightly put out is on the need for a "British Immersion" cruise in the first place.

British Cruisers who want to cruise from Southampton and experience a "British ship/ambience" can already do so on P&O and Cunard as another poster pointed out.

We choose RCCI precisely because they are NOT a british line. I love the idea of meeting and cruising with other nationalities ,especially the yanks. As a (very very general) generalisation I find Europeans and Americans to be (broadly) more friendly than my fellow Brits (especially the English!!)

and that is the main reason we choose RCCI over other lines. The idea of sailing for 2 weeks with 95% fellow Brits doesn't exactly thrill me although before I get flamed by the south coast massive I'm still sure it would be a fantastic cruise (aren't they always).

I cannot help thinking though that this will all turn out to be a storm in a tea cup as I don't see how RCCI can change thier spots completely overnight. Hope not anyway..

If so next time it might be back to sailing from Barcelona / Venice etc where the passenger make up and ship's entertainment was much more cosmopolitan..

Well as Shaw, Wilde,or Churchill (there seems to a debate as to who really said it) once said, "England and the United States - two countries seperated by a common language."

That was a problem on our transatlantic. We had several tours canceled because there was not enough English speaking passengers to participate.

I don't have any aversion to other cultures, but having just spent two weeks vacation totally "immersed" on a cruiseship with another culture, I have no wish to do it again. They have their culture, I have mine. I get all the cultural insight I need by visiting the ports and seeing the sights. Like many things in life, you can have too much of a good thing and we certainly OD'd on Brazilian culture.

Hi Ray!!! Yes, I totally agree. I love all the different cultures. It is thee reason why I love to travel... but, I take a cruise so at the end of the day I can eat what I want to eat... go see a show... or not... Now I am really worried that my ship is going to change to this??? If my Celebrity cruise to the Baltic's changes in a couple months, I am not going to be happy!

Archived