Sunset Beach, then PB? OR Chakanaab, then PB?

cold in MN

We will be in Cozumel November 9th and doing our first cruise with kids (10&7, LOL, what were we thinking?!?)

Anyway, I know we want to do PB in the afternoon (we went there on our last cruise, and had a blast!), but I'm struggling with where to do snorkeling in the morning. I think I've narrowed it down between Chakannab and Sunset Beach in terms of being more kid-friendly. But just have a few, ok A LOT of questions first:

-Has anyone done this sort of schedule? If so, what did you think?

-Is there is a cost for Sunset Beach?

-I know there's an entrance fee for Chak, but don't know how much.

-How much is cab fare between the the pier and Sunset Beach and then between Sunset Beach and Paradise Beach?

-How about between the pier and Chak and then between Chak and Paradise Beach?

Help!!!! If anyone has any other suggestions or insights, would appreciate that also. Thanks so much in advance to anyone who answers.

Well, I had to look up Sunset Beach, as I had never heard of it. Now that I know the area it refers to, I would heartily recommend Dzul Ha instead. The snorkeling is better and the amenities are as well. From any pier it is $7 to Dzul Ha for up to 4 passengers. Then a taxi to PB will run between $5-10. There's no clear fare for that stretch so it might be up to the cab driver. Then back to your pier will be $12-13 depending on the pier.

Chankanaab currently charges $12 per person for adults and less for children. I believe their cutoff age for a child is 8 years old. I would go to Chankanaab if you were going for the better portion of the day, to see the dolphins and/or sea lions, to stroll through the botanical garden, gaze at the turquoise waters of the fresh water lagoon, etc. However, if snorkeling is your priority, Dzul Ha is less costly and has the best snorkeling.

Hope that helps,

Uh, actually if you go to cozumelinsider.com, and click on beaches, there's a Sunset Beach listed with an E(for excellant) for snorkeling. I was looking at Sunset Beach cause it seeemed in the same area as PB and I had seen some pictures someone had taken while snorkeling at Sunset and it looked great.

I want to get my daughter exposed to this as much as I can. She's an aspiring marine biologist! Hasn't changed her mind on what she wants to be when she grows up since she's 5!!

Thanks again for all your input!

New freedoms, PB stands for Paradise Beach. Paradise Beach is a popular beach in Cozumel because it's free to get in and the beach is pretty nice. For a $5 fee you can get unlimited use of all of the beach toys there including climbing the floating iceberg, the water trampoline, use of snorkel equipment, use of floatie mats, and the spacewalker. The spacewalker is where you stand on a trampoline and have bungee cords attached to you from poles on either side of you. Then you can jump up and down and do flips and somersaults without fear of falling.:D

Some of the free amenities at PB are lounge chairs, umbrellas, hammocks, changing rooms, bathrooms, and fresh water showers. They also have a reasonably priced restaurant there on the beach and the waiters will bring food and drinks right to you there on the beach. They use purified water for everything and accept most major credit cards. Last time we went to Cozumel we went to Chankanaab, but this time we plan on going to PB and checking it out. I'll do a detailed review when we return.

cruisingt,

Thanks for the description. I'm going to hang on to the info for future reference. I read that Chan. had some nice shaded lounging spots, which was a consideration for untanned hubby, who really isn't much of a beach person anyway. I'm interested to know about your comparison, to see if there are similar shaded, comfy spots at PB, since it gets such good reviews.

Archived