Princess Air and cabin questions before I make my final decisions:

buttah75

I have two questions. We are couple with a 16 year old and a 12 year old going on a last-minute vacation.

I've checked every option available as of today on both Coral/Island and Sapphire/Diamond Alaska trips in both NB and SB directions. As of now, these are our choices if we don't want to share a cabin (which we don't):

Diamond Princess Dolphin aft mini-suite with uncovered balcony across from Interior room for the kids... or...

Island Princess w/ two Emerald aft balcony rooms (covered balcony) next to each other.

The latter is more expensive. I'm leaning toward keeping the Dolphin mini + interior. Both cabin configurations are on the less desirable (as in port/starboard) side of the ship for that direction.

Thoughts?

And my second question: Has anyone used Princess Air, particularly from Southern California? How soon do you find out what it is, and how flexible is it with Customization? Thanks to the advice of Karen on this board, I do have some horrible advantage itineraries reserved, just in case.

I lied. Another option:

Island Princess aft, two Dolphin balcony rooms next to each other. Covered, I believe. NB on the port side.

For more variety for all of us, we sort of wanted the bigger ship, but maybe this is a better way to go.

We did midship Dolphin minisuite on the Island princess in 2005 and loved it. I LIKED that we didn't have a covered balcony. In August we're doing midship Dolphin minisuite on the Diamond princess. Again, we like not having a covered balcony.

I'd go for the midship minisuite with the inside across the hall for the kids. they can come to yours to see the balcony.

I have been to AK on the Diamond and the Coral (Island sister) and much preferred the smaller ship. The covered balcony is nice if you have bad weather during the glacier viewing time. Port or starboard makes little idfference on an Inside Passage cruise. As a matter of fact, I think the port side is better for glacier viewing.

Not sure what you mean by "wrong side of the ship." If I remember your itinerary you are going to Glacier Bay. It seems that the majority of posters say that if you are planning on viewing Glacier Bay from your balcony it is best to be on the Port Side on both NB and SB trips. Apparantly the ships all enter the bay in the same direction. Even though the ship will do a 360 degree turn, it is said the majority of the time you will have the best views with a port side balcony. If you plan to view out on deck it really doesn't matter what side of the ship you are on.

Unfortunately, as I said, there is nothing mid-ship available now. And there are very few, if any, midship mini's ACROSS from interiors period. Hence my list of options.

Ah, I misread. I'd still take the minisuite vs just a balcony. The princess minisuites are really nice with the full bathub.

And my second question: Has anyone used Princess Air, particularly from Southern California? How soon do you find out what it is, and how flexible is it with Customization? Thanks to the advice of Karen on this board, I do have some horrible advantage itineraries reserved, just in case.

You might want to post your Princess Air questions on the Princess board.

I'd hardly call your AAdvantage itineraries "horrible." It took us 3 flights each way last year both to Vancouver and from Anchorage. This year we had only 2 flights each way (until I accidentally cancelled the reservation...long story!) because each was through Dallas.

ooops, I forgot there was a Princess board. Will do.

As for what's horrible or not, what can I say? I'm spoiled. For long trips, I usually manage business or first class non-stops with miles, if work isn't paying. But I could never do 3 flights. Ever. It would preclude me doing that particular vacation! Especially with kids. Such is the stuff that my nightmares are made of.

Have you talked to Princess yet about their custom air?

I did a search on http://www.kayak.com, and I see prices for non-stops as low as $589/pp when using multiple airlines. The planes arrive in Anchorage late at night, but you would hopefully fly there the day before any way.

Obviously - you need to nail down the cruise ship before you buy plane tickets!

With kids, the mini with an interior across the hall worked well for us. We sailed on the Sapphire, twin of the Diamond, and truly enjoyed our cruise. The kids liked the choice of 4 anytime dining rooms, and had a great time.

Don't think you can go wrong with that choice, as the balcony on the mini is quite sizable, and comfortable for 4 people to enjoy the scenery.:)

Have a great trip!

Like your husband, my DH and I have been very seasick once and it was awful.

Last night I was doing some reading about seasickness as my DH and I would like to avoid it all costs on our upcoming cruise. I came across an article that was relavent to the time we got so violently seasick. Here is what it said:

"Face the direction you are headed to keep eye and body sensations in sync with each other."

This one and only time my husband and I got miserably seasick we had been spending time at the back of the boat (A ferry going across Lake Michigan) watching the sunset. When we got up to walk back to the inside lounge, we immediatetly became very sick. The statement above makes sense. We were facing the direction we had been rather than the direction we were headed.

I thought you might find this helpful as you are trying to decide on a cabin, since your husband is prone to seasickness.

For those who have never been seasick, you are very lucky. Seasickness is a horrible, horrible feeling. We were upping our cookies uncontrollably. I felt like the only relief would be to die. The ferry had nothing to give us. Since I had never been sea sick before it had never crossed by mind to take precautions. Having "been there" I can really empathize with your husband. I hope all of you will have a great cruise with no seasickness.

If your kids spend any time in your cabin with you I would suggest the minisuite/interior combination. We cruise with our kids in an interior cabin and we have a minisuite or balcony. The one time we had a balcony cabin I felt like there was no room in our cabin when the kids were in there with us. The minisuite will give you a sitting area with a sofa which is great if there are more than two people in the cabin. The balcony cabin has just one semi-comfortable chair plus the desk chair, otherwise you have to sit on the beds.

Thank you all so much for reinforcing our decision. Yes, we expect the kids to hang with us and only use their interior for changing, showering and sleeping.

And Nancy, I have checked Kayak. I think we'll probably do our own air. It's worth it for the more convenient flights (we'll save our miles for the next vacation), and choosing what I want without paying $50X4 to have Princess do it.

You guys have been so helpful!

Thanks, Ink. I'm leaning that way. I don't know if you have kids, but if you do, having been on both ships, did you feel there was more for teens on one than the other?

I don't have kids. When we were in Alaska on the Island Princess in 2005, there was definitely a lack of kids. The ones on the ship were very well behaved though. There were two brothers on the land tour with us who were maybe 10 and 12. We never saw them fighting, not even once.

I haven't been on the Diamond yet, that will be in August.

Archived