Question how the Duns River Tours work?

skachelmeyer

I have some questions on how the tours work through the tour agents for Duns River. It seems like you pay for the base tour for Duns River for about $30.00 (depending on guide). For that money you get Duns River, Fern Gully and/or area tour, shopping.

Now here comes where I get fuzzy. Starting with lunch, where do you stop and about how much does it cost and what do you do if you choose not to eat? It seems like all tours come with a lunch stop and we are not sure we want to do lunch because of cost and the fact it is available on the ship. How much does lunch run? We love jerk, but we are not to keen on spending $40 on lunch.

The next area of question is the tubing and/or other stops. If we are on a tour with other people that are doing tubing, but we do not want to do the tubing how do we get back to the ship at this point? It seems like you are asked to what you want to do, but how do they get people to do what they want to do? Is there other guides that they are placed or is the lunch stop close to the ships? Or will we just be put with people that are only doing Duns River?

We don't think we want to do the tubing for 2 reasons, first is that we did a tubing tour in Mexico last year so been there done that. We don't like a gentle tubing experience, but more rapids and such. Also our stop is short so we don't want to risk being late so we are trying to keep our tour closer to the 3 hour length.

Help us understand how this works since most guides seem to run this way.

Thanks

This past April we toured with Peat Taylor. He gets you to Dunn's River Falls before the crowds. The tour continues to Fern Gully and the Jamaican countryside. At that point, he asks everyone what they want to do. Some want lunch in town, some on the ship and some not at all. He will make several stops to accommodate everyone. We actually had him drop us off at Margaritaville and just walked back to the ship later. It's a very short walk. The cost was $30.00 per person and that includes the entrance fee to the falls.

Another option is to hire a private driver. That way you can get to the falls before the crowd, tour whatever else you want to do, and eat where you want. I would recommend lunch at the Ocho Rios Jerk Center, inexpensive and authentic. I spent a week in Ocho Rios in September and spent a lot of time touring the area. If you need a driver recommendation, you can e-mail me.

Archived