Take advantage of price reductions

Something I didn't know you could do...

I had originally booked a balcony cabin at the very forward part of the ship. I later found out from my daughter that she gets sea sick very easily, and started worrying about her not enjoying her very first cruise with me. I fussed and fumed in my head about not booking more midship, or to the aft section, but I did want to keep the costs within reason.

Finally, I called customer service and explained that I would like to see if I could switch to a balcony cabin more toward the aft or midship section if it was still affordable to me.

To my surprise, the customer service rep was able to give me a balcony cabin in the midship section of the same deck at a little lower cost than my original booking fee! (I saved $30 per person). She said that this was because they had a reduction in fare at that moment, and that this happens often. She said that only if you call and ask about the fare and if there had been a reduction or not would you get the reduced fee. Of course, this only applies until you pay off the invoice, after which there will not be any more reductions.

I had fully expected to pay a higher fee, but was happily surprised. :D I had no idea that this could happen.

Has anyone else a similar story?

We all have similar stories Viv! Depends on who you're sailing with as well. RCCI is very good about giving price reductions. So, if you're sailing with them, I suggest you continue to watch your fares, then call if you see a price drop. We got two price drops on the last one and an upgrade when all interior cabins were the same price! A balcony forward would not have been a good choice for your daughter! I am glad you got a better location and a price drop! Have a great cruise!

We checked every few days for price drops and always review the promowave list on Tuesdays (usually comes out around 5:00). On our Panama cruise we had a price drop of $800. CDA and upgraded our D1 balcony for a JS for $200. on the Explorer. Keep watching and then call RCI when you see a drop and they will usually give you the difference.

Kathy:)

Yes this happens more than you think. Last year while on RCI we got a $400 OBC. This year we got a $383 OBC on Carnival. Since we like sailing in the Mediterrean every penny saved is money saved for the next cruise. Tim

We book our next cruise over a year ago. Since then it has dropped $500.00

per person. You need to watch the prices your self and call/email. If it

drops after the final payment. They normally will only upgrade your room

or give you OBC.

So, if I paid it in full with a travel agent -- I can't get the price reduction? (Carnival Inspiration June 30)

Even after you have paid in full you may be entitled to a refund providing the price has been reduced if you can still cancel the cruise with a full or even a partial refund. This option is available if you are more than usually 60 – 70 out from the sailing date. If you can cancel your cruise with a full refund the cruise line would rather give you a refund than have you cancel the cruise and rebook with them at a lower price or worse yet cancel the cruise and rebook with another cruise line. Unfortunately this is not automatic. You or your travel agent must continually watch for a lower sale price from the cruise line not from another travel agency and then must call the cruise line and request the refund of the difference between what you paid and what the new lower price is.

However remember that one of the reasons for paying up in full is to protect your total price from price increases such as the new added fuel surcharges. You may find that the cruise will give you the new lower base fare but then will require that you pay the additional fuel surcharge or any other surcharges that may have been added to the cruise price since you paid in full.

If you are past the full or partial refund option period when a price reduction is found you may still be entitled to refund of the difference. For example Princess Cruises guarantees the lower price right up to the time of sailing as long as you ask for it. Most of the other cruise lines will either give you a cash refund, onboard credit (which is just as good as cash since you can pay your on board purchases with the onboard credit) or they may up grade you to a more expensive cabin. It all depends on the terms and conditions that were applicable at the time you booked and paid for your cruise.

Your travel agent should know what the parameters are for your specific cruise. A good travel agent will automatically check and keep tabs on your cruise for any additionally perks or refunds that you may qualify for. However, you may find it more reassuring to log on to the cruise lines website and periodically check the price of your cruise. If you find a price reduction before your travel agent calls you, then call your travel agent and have them check it out for you. In some cases if a travel agent has booked the cruise on your behalf the cruise line will only allow the travel agent to make requests for refunds due to lower prices. In any event if you have informed your travel agent that you want them to watch for this type of price reduction and refund and they do not get it for you, you may be able to get the refund from the travel agent because they did not do the job they said they would do for you. If it comes to this make sure that you have it in writing that your travel agent was going to get any refund or perk for you due to a price reduction.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived