Adult with Special Needs

Hello Everyone. I've only been on one cruise, but absolutely loved it. I have someone special that i'd like to take with me on a cruise, but he's an adult that's developmentally disabled or a as some would call, an adult with special needs. We normally vacation together, and i'm sure he'd love it.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any groups or programs that cater to this type of adult on cruiselines. I'd like to take him on a cruise, and for him to have a group that caters to him especially. Perhaps specialize in an excursion or two that he could enjoy and have onboard activities for him.

Please share. Thanks.

Hopefully others can chime in but in my experience when we took our disabled adult daughter on a cruise it was up to us to entertain her. There were no groups on board organized for this. I do remember seeing disabled group cruises before when searching for cruises. Perhaps you can locate one. If you're wanting a specific cruise though, your options are probably limited. Good luck in your planning...you are sweet to care that your friend has a great time!

I would think that a cruise for people with DD would be a great group to organize. You don't have to do that with a specialty travel agent, esp. since most people with DD are not mobility impaired (so you don't have to have handicapped cabins or transportation ashore).

For most cruise lines, anyone can arrange a group if you can book either 10 or 15 cabins, and one then comes free. Either the organizer gets a free cabin, or arranges to drop the price for all through the free room option. We have done this with friends. Having an "official group" also would allow you to arrange for use of meeting rooms and public areas for group activities, which you could arrange just for your group.

I would recommend you work with your local ARC chapter. I bet there would be plenty of people who would like to take their young (or adult) child with a DD on a cruise and would work with you to plan something that is really appropriate for the needs of the specific individuals and allow families to also have time to themselves.

I have watched this thread for a couple of days, and am going to have to against the grain. I am one for inclusion of people with disabilities in normal events and activities, particularly those on a cruise ship. We don’t need segregated events or activities. We already have enough of that. Plan a cruise and search for activities and shore excursions you and your friend can do together. If a modification or two is needed, most cruise line are very adaptive.

TheRoff, its not about inclusion or exclusion. Years of traveling with the mentally handicapped has shown me that yes, they can enjoy and participate in many activities with others, but they also do enjoy dedicated activities. It gets difficult when we have to try to keep up with everyone when he wants to focus and slow down and enjoy one thing, when others want to take advantage of time and see many.

I do appreciate everyones input. As we are a small but loving community. And for the record, he's my older brother and truly my best friend. I just want him to have the time of his life.

Joel,

You have obviously considered the situation, and considered what your brother would like, and that to me is inclusion and freedom of choice. My recommendation would be to find some people who would like a similar experience and team up. Try searching http://www.ncil.org/ to find an independent living center in your area, and see if you can connect with someone.

ARC or your local regional center are much more likely places to find people with DD and their families than most ILCs.

I am all for inclusion too, but in reality, most people with DD are NOT going to be able to compete at team trivia with the other passengers, and may find that SOME (but not all) exclusive activities more meet their needs and allow them to feel included with their own peers and less judged (and usually excluded). Prejudice against those with DD is even more pervasive than that against those with physical disabilities.

(KLD)

Archived