VAT charged on Independence?

We did the inaugural to Cork and they charged VAT in the shops, but not on the photos ??? couldn't work that one out.

Also the perfume shop was adding VAT, but also only allowing the duty free amount to be purchased ?

Surely if your paying VAT on it then there is no limit ?

Finding anyone who could answer the VAT/ duty question on board proved impossible I figured most of the shake down crew were not familiar with the tax laws.

Certainly on the NOS to europe last year there was no VAT and duty free was open, so I understand the EU dilema for the Cork run but why the photos VAT free and the duty limit on perfume....hmmmmmm?

I can answer the VAT and duty thing for you, VAT and duty are 2 different things! The rules are complex, all purcases within EU will usually be with duty and VAT, if you sail outside certian areas then it cvan ber tax free, and fo the ship is travelling outside the EU (on many of the sailing there are some non EU ports) then it can be duty free.

OK, we are going to the Canary Islands so there should be no VAT, so when I sign for my pina colada what will I see on the docket?, price + service charge or what would/should I see?

Cheers!

I thought Canary Islands are part of Spain and thus EU

However on the TA we start in rome and wind up in Florida - guess that counts???

I don't rememebr paying VAt on Celebrity Millenium last summer BUT we did stop in Croatia.

The Canaries, while being part of Spain are not part of the community for reasons of VAT. In other words... if your cruise stops at the Canaries then VAT does not need to be added.

Just to clear things up, the following are NOT part of the community for VAT reasons....

• Faroes
  • Greenland
  • Helgoland
  • Busingen
  • Jungholz
  • Mittelberg
  • Åland Islands
  • Mount Athos
  • Campione d'Italia
  • Livigno
  • Lake Lugano
  • San Marino
  • Holy See (ie Vatican City)
  • Macao
  • Andorra
  • The Canaries (as previously mentioned)
  • Ceuta and Melilla
  • Gibraltar
  • Channel Islands (Alderney, Jersey, Guernsey, Sark, Herm and Les Minquires)
  • Territoires d'Outre-Mer (French Polynesia, New Caledonia, the Wallis and Futuna Islands, Mayotte, Saint Pierre, Miquelon and the French Southern and Antarctic Territories)
  • Departements d'Outre-Mer (Guyana, Guadeloupe, Martinique and Réunion)

There is a difference between customs, political and VAT areas in the EU. For example the municipality of Campione d'Italia is geographically in Switzerland and yet politically it is part of Italy. If you don't understand this, a look at the Google Map might help. It's entirely surrounded by Switzerland but considered part of Italy even though it's in the Swiss canton of Ticino.

So, to escape VAT your cruise must to to one of these territories or outside of the EU. Turkey, including the Turkish part of Cypus being one example.

Archived