New to platinum and mini suite

azspring

We will have our first Platinum Cruise this December and have a few questions.

1. Captains Circle explanation says "when arrive at the port "don't wait in line". Does that mean the line outside where people are lined up for initial screening, or the line inside for check-in?

2. My TA mentioned being in a mini suite lets you bypass the line. If that is true, which?

Thank you for all your input, I don't want to be rude or stupid in December.:)

1. Captains Circle explanation says "when arrive at the port "don't wait in line". Does that mean the line outside where people are lined up for initial screening, or the line inside for check-in?

2. My TA mentioned being in a mini suite lets you bypass the line. If that is true, which?

Hi!

Why the thumbs down?

I don't know where you are embarking or on which ship but in most embarkation ports there is a "Platinum/Elite" waiting room. That is most likely what they are referring to by saying "don't wait outside"

As for the mini-suite allowing you to bypass the line, that's technically not the case. What you will are separate check-in lines for Platinum/Elite, suite, mini-suites and then deck by deck. No line is ever very long once you get into the terminal and even though we are Elite we will go to which ever line is the shortest.

We are recent Platinum members and the last two cruises, first in Fort Lauderdale the Platinum so called line meant nothing as they had only one security screener and lots of Platinum/Elite members. In fact our friends who were in the other line got on board before us.

Last cruise out of LA, there was a initial checkpoint, security checked passport... once past that we were able to go into the Platinum line and we were first in line, the other line had maybe five couples. So not really a savings.

But I am sure at some point it could be helpful.

Last Summer, we sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale on the CB. When we arrived at the pier, the line was wrapped around the front of the building. I asked a uniformed worker who was handing out forms if there was a "Preferred Check-in" line. After asking to see my envelope that said "preferred," he said, "Yes, follow me," and brought us to that line which had one other person in it going through security. Once through the scanners, we went right up to the Elite/Platinum desk for check in...no line. I'm glad I asked as it was sweltering outside that day. We were on the ship in a matter of a few minutes. Always ask where the Preferred check in line is located.

We did a repositioning cruise out of SF two years ago. We were gold, and we shared a cab with a couple who were platinum. It took us about 90 minutes to get onboard, and it took them 10.

We also sailed out of the same terminal on our first cruise at platinum. The line was a little shorter than the regular line, but they hadn't started boarding yet. We checked in, went to pier 39 for coffee and when we got back they were boarding, so we walked on.

On our cruise last month there was no line to check in, but they had just starting boarding the preferred people, so we just walked onto the ship. I think they still had groups waiting to board, so maybe it saved us a bit of time.

I think the embarkation benefit is valuable some of the time, and not other times, depending I'm sure on location and ship.

Last Summer, we sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale on the CB. When we arrived at the pier, the line was wrapped around the front of the building. I asked a uniformed worker who was handing out forms if there was a "Preferred Check-in" line. After asking to see my envelope that said "preferred," he said, "Yes, follow me," and brought us to that line which had one other person in it going through security. Once through the scanners, we went right up to the Elite/Platinum desk for check in...no line. I'm glad I asked as it was sweltering outside that day. We were on the ship in a matter of a few minutes. Always ask where the Preferred check in line is located.

I booked our first Princess cruise thru a TA who sent a document folder with a "preferred" sticker.

The label IS actually worded "EXPRESS CHECK IN".

I've used it ever since! :p

I booked our first Princess cruise thru a TA who sent a document folder with a "preferred" sticker.

The label IS actually worded "EXPRESS CHECK IN".

I've used it ever since! :p

The preferred/express just means that you've filled out the pre-boarding information on line.

Archived