M/V Discovery May 31st

Mel

Anyone else on this M/V Discovery cruise leaving from Harwich on May 31st? We have just been informed today (May 26th) that the itinerary has been changed (we actually leave here for London on May 28th). Apparently they have had a bearing failure in one of its four main engines and while a full repair is being undertaken, the maximum cruising speed of the vessel is reduced. They have amended the itinerary to remove Flam in Norway (which was the port that we were most looking forward to!) and have an extra day at sea. Why they couldn't remove Lerwick or Torshavn or Isafjordhur is beyond me. Surely we can't be the only people who feel this way? Of course the U.K. office and the U.S. office are closed today for holidays so I couldn't contact anyone to ask them questions about this. I know these things can happen, however who decided which port to remove? We were planning a trip to the Antarctic next year and were waiting to see how much we liked the Discovery on this cruise before deciding which ship to use for our Antarctic cruise - I don't think it will be the Discovery now! Any other comments about this?

Archived