Montego Bay

balanceok

All our other trips to Jamaica have stopped at Ocho Rios. Our Dawn Princess cruise in January is scheduled for Montego Bay. Can anyone help me with some suggestions and answers:

1) How much further is it to Dunns River Falls from Montego Bay? Is it worth taking a cab or should we only do this through an excursion tour?

2) Is Sunset Beach worth making a day out of it? What is the cost and what is included?

3) Are there any other Montego Bay "don't miss" activities?

4) Are there shops in town like Ocho Rios? How is the shopping?

Thanks.

Dunn Rivers Fall will take you all day. It is a VERY LONG bus ride - which from what I hear can be quite "adventurous" depending on your driver. Whether it is worth the cost is up to you. We have been to MB three times and have yet to do it (and won't this next trip either) because you don't spend much time at the falls and it takes the entire day.

Sunset Beach - This is where we are going this next time. I have read so many nice things about it and I even called the hotel - very nice people. I know it is $20.00 for adults - and $10 for kids - I think the age cut off is 10 or 12 for the child price - maybe someone else can clarify - we have no one that young to worry about so I just don't remember the exact age. This includes your entrance to the beach, food and all the beverages you want - alcoholic and non. Others have said to bring your own insulated mug - as the glasses they give you are very small - but that they will fill your glass just as easily. All the non-motorized water items are included. I know this includes snorkel gear and floats - not sure what else. They have lounge chairs, umbrellas and a swim up bar. They even offer massages - but I'm not sure of the cost. Others have said this is the perfect way to spend the day. The cost for the cab varies depending on what you read. Some say $5.00 for the cab load - others say $2.00 each. They will take your cruise ID when you enter and return it when you leave.

As I said we have been to MB three times. We usually grab a bus or cab to Docs Cave - spend the morning hanging out at the beach - they charge an admission and you have to pay for anything you use, lounge chairs, umbrellas, snorkel gear, food and drink. After we are thoroughly baked we would walk up the street a short distance and go to Margaritaville for lunch - very pricey. For the 4 of u we could easily spend $200.00 for the day and only eat the one time and have very limited drinks - so that is why we are going to Sunset Beach this next time. $80.00 and we are covered. Margaritaville is fun though and it may be worth it to catch a cab from Sunset and go check it out before you return to the ship - just so you can say you've been there.

There isn't much god shopping in MB and I won't go off on my own. Stay with ship sponsored groups here - and even at that you still might not feel that safe. Don't get me wrong. There are those who will tell you not to get off the ship - I won't go that far but I will say that you need to be aware of your surroundings and stay in the tourist areas. There is a small shopping area inside the cruise terminal where everything is marked - no haggling and they are pushy. Just outside the terminal is a shopping center - very uncomfortable shopping here even though it is only a short distance from the other shopping area. In MB they have the pier gated off - inside the gated area you feel very safe (police officers around) - outside the gate - where the other sopping area is you are on your own. I have read there is a shop at Sunset. They do not allow vendors on their beach - so they won’t bother you.

Hope this helps. Maybe others can add to this.

We will be going to Montego Bay also. One thing to be careful about when looking at excursions is to be sure where the excursion is located. Several of the ships Montego Bay excursions are located in Ocho Rios which is a considerable ride and you're usually stuck in a tour bus full of tourists for a good while. So make sure of where the excursion is and how long you will be stuck in a tour bus before you make your decision. I know Dunn's River Falls is quite a distance from Montego Bay, so is the Martha Brae Rafting tour, and the Miskito Cove Beach Picnic.

Sunset Beach Resort can be seen from the ship when it docks and many people have raved about the good time they had there.:) There is also a lot of shopping including a Taj Mahal shopping center and a Margaritaville. Another good place to go is the "hip strip" in downtown Montego Bay, it's a pretty safe area that's pretty touristy with lots of shopping and dining areas. Doctor's Cave beach is a pretty nice beach that was discovered by a doctor who it was named after. It's pretty, with lots of extras but it's not an all inclusive like Sunset which is the best "bang for your buck" in Mo' Bay. A good place to find info. on Montego Bay is at: www.montego-bay-jamaica.com. It's the official visitor's gude for Montego Bay and I have found it absolutely full of useful info. It even has maps of the area which is really great!

Unless money doesn't matter, you would not want to take a cab from Mobay to Dunn's River Falls! It would be very expensive. Lots of people love going to the Falls, but I didn't enjoy them that much. The park is lovely, but I don't think I'd return even if the ship docked in Ocho Rios.

I haven't been to Mobay yet, but it doesn't sound like there are any "don't miss" activities. :( Last week I came across a virtual tour of Mobay, and it might help set your expectations.

My plan is to head for the beach -- Doctor's Cave or Sunset. If I do any shopping, it will probably be at the port or via a ship's tour. That's not the norm for me; I just grab a cab in most ports. But, I'm more cautious in Jamaica.

Balance.....if you were interested in Dunns River, you may be interested in Mayfield falls. It's about an hour from where the ships dock in Montego Bay. We booked through A-Z planners before we left. Actually we were the only family from the Zaandam, and everyone else was supposed to be from the Conquest. Well....the Conquest had some problems and didn't make it into port...but our driver from A-Z was there to meet us holding a sign with our names. We had the whole tour to ourselves.

Check out the Jamaica board....we absolutely loved this tour, it was the highlight of our vacation...just a word of caution...probably wouldn't reccomend it for under 2, and over 60....unless their very stable on their feet!

Archived