Formal night

rockett

This question is probably one of those that has been beat to death but...I have heard that the dress code has been changed on Carnival. (Valor 6/22) Do we need to take sport coats for the guys or will a shirt and tie work? I appreciate that many of you like the opportunity to dress up but we are traveling across the country and less luggage would be nice.

Thanks and any other tips would be welcome!

Rockett

Formal night has been changed to "Elegant night." The dress code has been relaxed a little, but according to Carnival's website they still suggest that men wear a jacket.

I doubt that they will kick anyone out of the dining room for not wearing one. I've read some posts where people are wearing ragged shorts and jeans into the dining room on formal night. Most people are still dressing up, though.

i know they call it elegant night now, but i'm not sure about the jacket.. i would say probably yes... and if you wanted to book a dinner in the fancier restaurants on board you would need it.

I just got off the Glory, and in the dining rooms jackets were recommended but there were plenty without, however if you were thinking of doing a formal night in the Supper Club - they do require a jacket. If you dont have one they hang one on the back of your chair for you.

So have any of you recent cruisers seen jacket but no tie with a dress shirt? I only ask because DH has a horrible time with dress shirts - 19 inch neck and 34 inch waist make fitting him a nightmare. :( His suit doesn't fit anymore and he only dresses up to humor me and wants to do just an open necked dress shirt (so he can get a shirt that will fit but the neck will be too small to close and wear a tie) and sports coat. I'm a little worried that it will be too casual - even with the new dress code.

I've looked into getting him a custom shirt done but he never wears one outside of the formal nights on a cruise so it's not really worth the expense. The 19 inch neck ones hang like a dress on him - they are made for something crazy like a 66 inch waist. :eek:

going on my 10th CCL cruise in January and always wore a tux or a suit but will be wearing just dress pants and shirt.

On my last cruise with the old dress code there were people right next to me in jeans and polos. While they looked out of place they were not refused seating.

Your hubby should be fine with the open neck shirt.

Bill

Would any man wear Brown Shoes with a Tuxedo?

I have tuxedos, 3 and 2 piece suits and dinner jackets..as well ....some still American Made COTTON Blue Jeans too...((I sure wish More American Products were made!))

Dressing for the occasion is what the person wants to do..

I never find even in Church a problem..:cool:

Charles Tandy, of Tandy Corp., Tandy Leather, RADIO SHACK etc... at the Board of Directors meetings wore American Made Blue Jean Overalls...

On ships past there have been gatherings of different groups of American Farmers..and yes they wore those as well....:D

So yes again it is what is your choice as well the Cruise Line enforcement of Dress Codes...

Just be happy and Cruise well, helping your fellow cruisers..

On Dress Shirts I saw a larger neck size from A Commenwealth of Virginia Woman here..;)

In New jersey Custom Made shirts are not needed on that size I saw a nice collection of those the other night near my residence..

in New Jersey there still is no Sales Tax on Clothing nor Shoes! So stopping in New Jersey prior to entry into NY and/or NYC is a great benefit...eh...

DH wore just a shirt and tie 2 nights in the supper club of Glory last week and he did not stick out at all. I was not about to bring a garment bag on vacation and honestly, I didn't see anyone more dressed up than that. :confused:

I just got off the Glory, and in the dining rooms jackets were recommended but there were plenty without, however if you were thinking of doing a formal night in the Supper Club - they do require a jacket. If you dont have one they hang one on the back of your chair for you.

So have any of you recent cruisers seen jacket but no tie with a dress shirt? I only ask because DH has a horrible time with dress shirts - 19 inch neck and 34 inch waist make fitting him a nightmare. :( His suit doesn't fit anymore and he only dresses up to humor me and wants to do just an open necked dress shirt (so he can get a shirt that will fit but the neck will be too small to close and wear a tie) and sports coat. I'm a little worried that it will be too casual - even with the new dress code.

I've looked into getting him a custom shirt done but he never wears one outside of the formal nights on a cruise so it's not really worth the expense. The 19 inch neck ones hang like a dress on him - they are made for something crazy like a 66 inch waist. :eek:

My hubby is not taking his coat or tie this time.(Valor 6/1, 5 days) He is just going to wear nice slacks and shirt and I am sure it will be fine.:)

I haven't worn a tie on formal nights. You will see a number without jackets, too.

For those who wanted to get all Ducked Out:

http://www.stuckatprom.com/contests/prom/entries.asp

2008042813510849869_Big.jpg

2008042120225873378_Big.jpg

2008042918570568226_Big.jpg

Just got off the Miracle...and they still had the old dress code in effect. Technically our cruise began on 5/17 (new dress code become officially 5/19)...so not sure if this was why.

I was pleasently surprised at the number of passengers who dressed up on formal nights. I did not take a jacket or a tie and dressed in a long sleeve dress shirt with dress pants. I felt under dressed and was definitely in the small minority who did not wear a jacket and a tie.

On casual nights they made a note in the daily capers that no shorts would be allowed...Of course, I saw many wearing shorts and even saw a person wearing a tshirt, jeans and sneakers on formal night in the dining room...so the enforcement was pretty much non-existant

Archived