Shopping at peir.

brown_eyed_poet

Yes...there are all kinds of shops at the pier (called The Village) inside the fence.

And while I would not walk blocks away from The Village...I did go outside the fence and across the street to the Iguana Rama (which used to be in the Village) for a beer without incident....by myself.

Is there shopping at the pier?

Shopping at the pier....yes rows and rows of shops.

There is also a "straw market" just outside the gate (and across the street) from the Village - I've shopped there many times with no problems.

We have been there twice but never ventured to the straw market. I did wander about a block behind the actually shopping area and bargained on some cute, cheap costume jewelry. Other than that I am really not a fan of Belize. WE did a disastrous private tour the first time we were there. We are not sure what to do this next trip, stay on the ship sounds pretty good to us.

Nita

We just returned from Belize. We went to the flea market across from the pier and shopped for some good items at good prices. I love local items and it seems to me that the shops inside the fence are beginning to look like all the other ports - Diamonds International, Del Sol, etc. I have never been frightened in Belize but, I probably would not walk into town on my own either.

We just returned from Belize. We went to the flea market across from the pier and shopped for some good items at good prices. I love local items and it seems to me that the shops inside the fence are beginning to look like all the other ports - Diamonds International, Del Sol, etc. I have never been frightened in Belize but, I probably would not walk into town on my own either.

thanks for the information: I agree about the basic shopping area but the flee market sounds like something that might be fun, always looking for local crafts and goods.

Nita

Behind the flea/craft market behind the "Mall" is a small pirate museum/gift shop run by an ex-pat US woman. The gift shop has some fairly decent items and the proprietress was offering free samples of liquors she had for sale by the bottle there.

If you are in the market for a quick bite, the mall has two little eateries. One of them had excellent conch fritters (the hot relish/salsa is good but be VERY careful--it is made from the infamously incandescently hot Central American peppers which have probably done in more gringos than malaria has). ;) They also offer Boil Up, which seems to me to be the Caribbean version of a British "boiled dinner". It consists of a tomato sauce in which green and ripe plantains, cassava root, yam, potato, a bit of pig's tail, a hard-boiled egg, and a chunk of fish (in my case, barracuda--but it was GOOD!) are simmered. I was very pleased by it and recommend it.

Other than that, there are several other shops in the little mall, including Diamonds International, a pharmacy, and other touristy things.

Archived