Cayman Pirates... Too Scarey for a 3 year old?

Crusin' Momma

My husband and I are considering taking our kids on the Cayman Pirate Encounter, but I am not sure if it will be too scary for my 3 year old son. I watched a video on YouTube, but I still want some opinions from people who have done this excursion already.

Also, do they have life jackets on board for people who want to get in the water at the swim stop, but aren't strong swimmers? I know my son would like to swim with his dad, but he hasn't taken swim lessons yet and I am not sure if he will be comfortable in the deep water.

Did anyone bring their own kid sized life vests?

Thanks

I haven't been there - but we decided against the pirate museum in Key West and again in Nassau recently because our 3 year old is too unpredicatable. Lately, he has been scared of a lot of things - including Chuck E Cheese.....we are postponing a trip to Disney until this phase passes. You just never know how a 3 year old will see things.

I'd be interested in knowing too. We're considering this with my kids, 7, 9, and 30 months. My little one walks around now pretending to be a pirate, but the real thing is always different. Also, he was great at Disney this past Easter. I am interested in knowing about the lifevests. Did you post this in the Caymen board?

We did the Cayman Pirates Encounter in February. It wasn't scary at all. If you have a week stomach, though, think twice. DH didn't do well as the small ship bobbed up and down A LOT, especially at the swim stop. There were life vests, but they appear to be blow up or something? Everyone was jumping off the ship/plank. Although I think you were allowed to go down the ladder (rope) Didn't really pay attention there. Quite a few of the swimmers did come back with jellyfish stings, though.

The kids become honorary pirates, and go through silly physical exams (checking for lice, boogers, and muscles), and then they have to swab the deck. They took a Dad out of the crowd (I'm sure you could decline if you didn't want to do it), and tied him up and "tried him" for crimes including theft of treasure, and then crimes of not taking kids to DisneyWorld, forgetting his wedding anniversary, and the like. The scooped up a bucket of water and dumped it on his head. Brrrrrr.

All in all a good time

Kids swabbing the deck

IMG_5151.jpg

"Punishing the prisoner"

IMG_5162.jpg

Shooting our ship

IMG_5137.jpg

Swim stop, best pic I have of life jackets

IMG_5192.jpg

My family actually did the Pirate Encounter a couple of years ago and loved it. My youngest (DS 5 at the time) was a pretty weak swimmer. He used one of their life jackets and climbed down the ladder into the water. My oldest (DS 11) jumped off of the side. I forgot to mention to him that he wouldn't hit bottom like in the pool. That did freak him out a bit when he jumped in! But as the previous poster said, even though the whole "skit" of it is hokey, mine had a blast and still talk about it today!

Now I AM WORRIED ABOUT JELLYFISH!!!! THANKS A LOT!!! lol

From what I am reading the jellyfish won't be swarming when we are there (it actually says they swarm from about February to September and we will be in cayman the first part of Nov.) It also states this:

"SeaSafe brand suntan oils are based on natural secretions of the clown fish. In scientific studies this has shown to greatly reduce, and in many cases completely prevent jellyfish stings."

I think I am going to invest in some of this before we leave... Lol:D

Those life vests look like snorkeling vests. You can inflate them through a tube that who knows who has had in their mouth. We have our own snorkeling vests that we got on eBay and we bring a regular life jacket for our granddaughter. We are booked on this excursion in December.

Sewut

Do they sell a video or can you just take your own camera??? I know I saw one on youtube and was wondering if it was professionally done (I think they took out all of the wind noise) or if someone just took their camera on board the pirate ship.

I am planning on taking a lot of "still life" pictures so I can make the kids each a scrapbook of our trip, so it would help if someone else was holding a video camera!!! LOL:D

We did the Encounter in February with our 20 month old, 8 year old and 9 year old. I opted to stay out of the water with the little one, but probably could have gone in with her. They have a ladder for those who didn't want to jump. My little one wasn't scared at all and laughed as DH was "tried and found guilty" with the buckets of ice water. She really enjoyed sitting against the mast just watching everything. The cannons didn't even scare her - but had me covering my ears. The older ones loved it too!

We did the pirate encounter with my 4 and 6 year old. My 4 did not like the cannon, and only participated in the other stuff if I held him. He however can really play the scared thing. They did give him a name that was really appropriate Crabby McFlea :D . My 6 year old loved it and loved that he made his dad walk the plank.

We took our kids own life jackets and I think that made them more comfortable in the water. When we did it we were told everyone had to wear a life jacket if they wanted to swim.

Archived